New MacBook Pros

Palaver

• Members

The moment Apple went x86 the days of Firewire were numbered. Firewire will never be natively supported by Intel because they have their own standard, better known as USB. As soon as USB 3 is available you'll see Apple start to move.. The main reason being, if they choose Intel chipsets, they'll save money as the controller's built in, whereas firewire requires modifying the motherboard and adding an additional chip, and Steve has better things to spend the $1 on. If people don't like that then why did you buy Apple products? It's not like Apple don't have a long history of kicking its users in the nuts. What? You're still using last years model?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If people don't like that then why did you buy Apple products? It's not like Apple don't have a long history of kicking its users in the nuts. What? You're still using last years model?

My Metric Halo is Firewire, and Mac only, so I'm locked in.

At the moment, there isn't another interface on the market that comes close to the functionality and sound of the Metric Halo box.

Well, thats me anyway.

• Members

You are totally overstating how quickly things change. Anyways, there is always the option of using an add in card even after the native ports are removed. I don't think anyone using FW gear or interfaces has anything to worry about.

-D

Well the Macbook doesn't have a card slot of any kind right? And I think that's where the real frustration is here. Of course you'll be able to add a card if you have a slot. That's what makes sense for Apple and for most consumers.

Floppy drives disappeared quickly. ADB diappeared quickly. Serial. Parallel. All of these things died in the last 5-10 years, and it was pretty much overnight that they did.

• Members

at least they kept the awesome headphone & mic jacks that double as optical miniTOS I/O. that's easily one of the best, most universally overlooked features.

it's still clear that apple is trying to move towards all things wireless, although dropping firewire this soon really undermines the usefulness of iMovie if you can't plug your digital video camera in to edit your {censored}ty youtube videos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah Apple missed the boat on the new Mac Book and Mac Book Pro design, I see they recycled the old school Power Book case for the Macbook 17" and pimped it out..... Guess they are laying off design engineers.....

I am happy with my White Macbook 13.3 that I bought a month before the new roll out (Man I am happy the new ones suck, or I would have been :mad:).

But to keep it all in perspective Apple has missed the marked a few times, (Black Macbook, G4 imac with the screen on a rod - Mine always fell after some time....) and this latest Macbook versions (what were they thinking) but for the most part they are on point with their products. Apple still makes the most innovative and intuitive computers PERIOD!!!

I love the new itouch with built in speakers, Multi-Touch display, and accelerometer........ Glad I waited and got one of the new ones. I won't be upgrading my Macbook for some years (as I and I am sure most people, only upgrade to a new one ever 3 years) so we'll see what happens. The touch track pad is hot though!!

• Members

What a failure.

No more option for the matte screen... it's going to be great looking at a shiny mirror on stage!

Only one FW-800 port (so much for running an external hard-drive in tandem with an interface). This is really {censored}ty for their Logic/Apogee platform.

I'm glad I have the older version of the laptop. It looks like we're going to have to wait and see what happens to their 17" MacBookPro. This really sucks, because now we have to carry around larger laptops, and pay A LOT more money for more connectivity and hopefully a matte screen.

For a "PRO" model, they've really excluded a lot of their "Pro" users.

They just {censored} the bed. And it's EVEN more expensive (if you live outside of America).

The Mac forums are hilarious. The audio/video editors are really irratated. It's such a shame too... I have a funny feeling that we're eventually going to have to pay for the 17" model for multi-FW.

Oh yeah, and no Blu-Ray for storage. Awesome. This one could be excusable... IF THEY HAD ANOTHER FW Port!

I'm a huge Apple fan, but this is just disappointing. It looks like I am going to have to buy a MacPro and a flight case (for my next purchase). I may as well... The only notable laptop improvement, is they gave the user easy access to the hard-drive... but how often do you change the thing anyway?

BTW, they didn't do a refresher on the 17" Pro.

Cheers,

PB

I have an older white MacBook 2.2 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 5400 HD, 400 FireWire port. I was interested in buying the new MacBook and just assumed it had a FireWire port and was really disappointed that Apple decided their customers didn't need it on the so called "unpro" laptops. FireWire is available on every PC laptop, low level and high level machines. I have a Tascam FireOne Audio interface with needs FireWire, an external LaCie 60 HD, FireWire only port, no USB.

Apple has lost a big market share I think by causing customers who need FireWire for video and audio to spend $1000 more for a MacBook Pro. There are many concerns and complaints on the Apple Discussions forums about the missing FireWire port on the MacBooks. They do offer the older white MacBook, but when they are sold out, then what do you do?

Many 3rd party software and hardware developers are still designing their peripherals using FireWire. And they will keep designing FireWire video and audio interfaces. The USB audio interfaces have latency and other issues on some systems that we don't have with the FireWire devices. Apogee interfaces are FireWire only I believe.

If enough of loyal Apple customers send feedback and complaints to the company, they may add the FireWire port back on the next generation of MacBooks. I still can't imagine what they were thinking about not adding it to all their computers in the line. It is a technology that is still in wide use on Macs and PC's.

• Members

Im happy to report the new macbook pros are excellent machines. All the negativeness surrounding the screen is totally unjustified. Reflections are NOT a problem for me even in my halogen lit studio. The brightness of the screen is brighter than any screen ive ever seen previously. In every other respect the new macbook pro is excellent. To use my firewire interface i just bought a

• Members

I hope to pick up a refurbished Macbook Pro soon. My iBook is showing its age.

I'll skip this current generation of Macbooks. USB 3.0 will probably be implemented on Macbooks and other machines within 2 years - maybe even as early as fall 2009. If I can pick up a refurb MBP, that should tide me over until Apple not only adds USB 3.0 but stabilizes its implementation.

http://thefutureofthings.com/news/5739/25gb-in-70-seconds-with-usb-3-0.html

• Members

I should get a new MacBook Pro as soon as they are back in stock here.

Only question I'm asking myself now is:

is the 2.8GHz option worth 270 euros ? Will 0.3 GHz make a noticeable difference?

I plan to use it for Omnisphere / Ableton Live mainly, for Live gigs.. but who knows, maybe in a couple of months I'll be wanting to use more softies on top of these, and Omnisphere is already requiring a lot of power on its own...:confused:

It's just that, when buying computers, I usually go for the most powerful configuration available at the time, so that I can keep the machine as many years as possible... But damn! Theses machines are so expensive!:mad:

V

• Members

I hope to pick up a refurbished Macbook Pro soon. My iBook is showing its age.

I'll skip this current generation of Macbooks. USB 3.0 will probably be implemented on Macbooks and other machines within 2 years - maybe even as early as fall 2009. If I can pick up a refurb MBP, that should tide me over until Apple not only adds USB 3.0 but stabilizes its implementation.

That was my plan. I got my MacBook Pro in August of 2007. I figured Q1 or Q2 of 2010 is when I'll be thinking about a new puter.

I have a funny feeling that the new 17" Pro is going to feature the new Quad Core Laptop chip. I can't wait to see the price of that...

Cheers,

PB

• Members

That was my plan. I got my MacBook Pro in August of 2007. I figured Q1 or Q2 of 2010 is when I'll be thinking about a new puter.

I always try to keep my laptop for 4 years. I bought my MacBook last summer, so still almost 3 years of life in mine.

Archived