Recommend a movie similar to...

cobalt-60

• Members

Throne of Blood. Specifically, a really well directed period movie with a dreamlike, spiritual atmosphere, featuring men doing manly things. Or women doing manly things. Killing. There needs to be killing. Bonus points if there's rain. I'd prefer it in English, so I can relax and watch the movie while stoned/falling asleep, but that's not a requirement. Or another Kurosawa movie. I've seen Throne of Blood, Ran, Dreams, Seven Samurai, Roshomon and Yojimbo.

Although I will probably ignore all of you and start watching Boardwalk Empire. Anyone know where I can watch for frees?

...aaaaaaaand, GO!

• Members

Oshima's "In the Realm of the Senses." A man doing manly things. One killing at the end - but it's a "that {censored} hurts" graphic kind of killing. I think there is rain in one scene. Sorry, only in Japanese - you HAVE to watch it in Japanese.

• Members

You should watch Oldboy. Not because it's Kurosawa (it isn't. It isn't even Japanese). But because it is awesome. It's a character-driven, suspenseful mind{censored}, full of mighty beatdowns. And I think there's some rain.

It's on Netflix Instant but the last time I checked it was only available overdubbed in English. Don't be an illiterate {censored}. Watch it in Korean and READ it in English!! The overdubbed version sucks.

• Members

Well, I just watched the 1st ep of Boardwalk Empire, it's ballin. Especially Buscemi's lady. Yowzers. She's.... just right.

I've heard good things about Old Boy. If it's in a foreign language, I'll watch it in that, but I like relaxing and paying attention to the visuals. I'm primarily an artist, so that's what's important to me.

japan edit of the orignial godzilla is one of the best movies ever made...

You know, I've never seen that. I'm looking for something a bit more dramatic, but I imagine it's really good.

• Members

Well, I just watched the 1st ep of Boardwalk Empire, it's ballin. Especially Buscemi's lady. Yowzers. She's....
just
right.

I've heard good things about Old Boy. If it's in a foreign language, I'll watch it in that, but I like relaxing and paying attention to the visuals. I'm primarily an artist, so that's what's important to me.

Reread the post champ. I already seen it. I've also seen two other movies of his set in the 50s/60s. One about this guy with TB, and another about business. The Bad Sleep Well or something.

You know, I've never seen that. I'm looking for something a bit more dramatic, but I imagine it's really good.

ooops, lol, ehhh watch it again!

Try Fellini's Satyricon.

• Members

ooops, lol, ehhh watch it again!

Try Fellini's Satyricon.

Haha, yeah, I should. I haven't seen it since I was 20 or so. As for Fellini, I've only seen 8 1/2, which wasn't quite my bag, but it was interesting. Satyricon looks like it might be the ticket though, if I can find a copy locally. We have a really well stocked library, so we'll see.

• Members

very serious... it is quite depressing and godzilla as an analogy to the atomic bomb dropped the decade prior is nicely shown without stabbing you in the chest... nicely filmed for the time too... if it had stop motion by o'brien or harryhausen [sic] it would be more memorable than king kong for era production limit pushng

• Members

Throne of Blood. Specifically, a really well directed period movie with a dreamlike, spiritual atmosphere, featuring men doing manly things. Or women doing manly things. Killing. There needs to be killing. Bonus points if there's rain. I'd prefer it in English, so I can relax and watch the movie while stoned/falling asleep, but that's not a requirement. Or another Kurosawa movie. I've seen Throne of Blood, Ran, Dreams, Seven Samurai, Roshomon and Yojimbo.

Although I will probably ignore all of you and start watching Boardwalk Empire. Anyone know where I can watch for frees?

...aaaaaaaand,
GO!

I love Throne of Blood...hmmm, can't think of something too similar at the moment...but based on your description, yopu might really like Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring. It was made back when Bergman was obsessed with Kurosawa and was really trying to make that style of movie....Also, you might like Mizoguchi's Uegetsu Monogatari (sp?). It's got the dreamlike, spiritual atmosphere in spades.

Guest Guest

Ugetsu is pretty ethereal, yeah.

I don't know, the first thing I thought of was Harakiri, but it's not at all dream-like. Pretty manly, though.

• Members
i tried to watch that recently, i kept falling asleep. ^

have you seen it before? it is drawn out, so if you know what is coming then it can do that...

if it was your first time, I guess just different tastes :idk: I don't mind subtitles, like black and white, and really struck a note in me as I watched it...

on the other end of the godzilla spectrum... Godzilla v. Megalon [with Jet Jaguar :facepalm: ] ...OR... Godzilla v. King Kong.... seriously WTF...

• Members
it would be more memorable than king kong for era production limit pushng

Seconded....if you've seen the Raymond Burr American version, you sorta get a taste of what the original Gojira was, but the real impact of it all is really missed. Definitely this.

I'm gonna toss the first Daimajin film out there, actually. Essentially a combination of samurai film and giant monster film. Has a distinct visual style, very moody, and due to the titular monster being much smaller than a Godzilla or something, the modelwork is absolutely great. Should be enough violence to satisfy you. They made two sequels, all three films released in 1966. Great movie, actually, and the music (Akira Ifukube's) pushes the whole atmosphere of the film to even greater heights.

tumblr_kzealvx3KZ1qaz1ado1_500.jpg

ADV released them over here on DVD before they went under. Make sure you get the newer issues, though, picture quality on the old ones just don't do the film justice.

Archived