Craislist Deal: 1974 Fender Bassman Ten... help appreciated!

• Members

its an amp :idk:

if you dont have one and need one this is probably a useable one

some people seem to like them

I don't

I thought it was just the horrible speakers but even with good ones its pretty meh.

and for some reason there's always a real clean one for sale cheap somewhere

My theory is no one ever really liked the sound of them hence they never got used and still sound lame hence the low selling price.

• Members

They are an often overlooked fender amp that to me sound great. Very different than a lot of fenders.....being a closed back 410 on casters with a mid control makes for a totally different amp.

Despite what robo says about why they're so cheap....fact is, they're just not that collectable. But they do sound good (to my ears)....ver punchy and tight. It's my main live amp.

399 is a fair price.....they go for around 400-550, so I don't know that you'll be able to flip it. I paid 450 for mine. But if you like the sound and it's in good shape, go for it! If you can talk them down to 350, all the better.

• Members

Buy it and rehouse it ion a head cab

this would be the best bet IMO

the cabs they come in are all particle board, extra heavy, awkwardly tall and top heavy with the chassis loaded, the speakers are weird 32 ohm dogs

Sell the cab on ebay (I got I think $200 for mine) and you'll have a decent chassis for $200, then buy a head cab and a speaker cab with some decent speakers and you'll be on the right path. There's also probably some real simple mods that can be done to the amp to open it up. What huxtable calls punchy and tight I would call dry and sterile compared to my other silverface fender amps. No bounce to these, no sparkle or shimmer. The fragile harmonics seem bored.

• Members

After the expenses of modding it to be a head and cab it'd probably be more worth your while to just buy a bassman head and get the cab you want.

This.

My Blackface Bandmaster with a 112 combo cab was like $750? That's including the mint condition head cab, too. Buy an amp that speaks to you, not just what's convenient.

• Members

I saw a couple yesterday, they where each $799, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I think they're cool amps, not the best of the Bassmans, but solid. They are really heavy and such, but it's a good big sounding gigging amp.

I say buy it and if you don't like it in the end you can sell it and make a couple extra dollers.

• Members

I saw a couple yesterday, they where each $799, so I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

I think they're cool amps, not the best of the Bassmans, but solid. They are really heavy and such, but it's a good big sounding gigging amp.

I say buy it and if you don't like it in the end you can sell it and make a couple extra dollers.

That's way overpriced to be honest. The going rate for one is like 400-550. 800 is ridiculous. Theyre not too heavy...no more heavy than a tweed Bassman reissue. But they have casters which I love.

Archived