Patch cables?

• Members

After years of running a basic tuner/Big Muff/volume rig, I've finally put together a board for doing some ambient music. For the first time, I'm going to have more than a couple effects, and I want to do it right.

The board is handmade and built off the same specs as the PedalTrain 2. I'm going to be almost filling it, and I'm just wondering if anyone is partial to certain patch cables. I'm probably going to need some varying sizes, but nothing over six inches. Any suggestions and or links to check stuff out? Price isn't a huge issue, but being both good and affordable is ideal (obviously).

• Members

People will probably recommend George L's and/or Lava cables. The mantra seems to be "if you can solder, get the ones with solder and do it right." I guess people have a hard time with the solderless ones every so often. I use cheapo cables and it sounds fine. If your amp has a treble knob/there's a decent buffer somewhere in your signal chain, cables aren't that big of a deal.

Some people will argue that it's all about cables though, and that people who use cheap cables don't know what they're missing. Whatever, if all I'm doing is making sound effects, I can work around the treble roll-off.

• Members

Buy the Lava Mini ELC pedal kit and be done with it. Super easy to assemble and they work wonderfully. I use 16 pedals in line and my tone sounds full and perfect since switching from George L's to the Lava. George L's were bright and brittle sounding in my setup, not to mention they like to fail occasionally.

Also, I'd just search the forum as there seems to be a "Patch Cable" thread started on a daily basis, lots of info and opinions out there already.

• Members

I got the Planet Waves cable kit a while back, but the cables were too stiff and I had a hard time positioning pedals the way I wanted with them. Never had any sound issues with them.

I mostly use the generic pancake style cables and they've been doing fine for about 3 years.

• Members

After years of running a basic tuner/Big Muff/volume rig, I've finally put together a board for doing some ambient music. For the first time, I'm going to have more than a couple effects, and I want to do it right.

The board is handmade and built off the same specs as the PedalTrain 2. I'm going to be almost filling it, and I'm just wondering if anyone is partial to certain patch cables. I'm probably going to need some varying sizes, but nothing over six inches. Any suggestions and or links to check stuff out? Price isn't a huge issue, but being both good and affordable is ideal (obviously).

I'm partial to making my own with small barrel and right angle Switchcraft jacks and George L cable, but I might be switching from George L to Evidence Audio Monorail for my wire. :o

Making them yourself is affordable, the quality can be top notch if you use good stuff and you can make it exactly the length you need.

• Members

Buy the Lava Mini ELC pedal kit and be done with it. Super easy to assemble and they work wonderfully. I use 16 pedals in line and my tone sounds full and perfect since switching from George L's to the Lava. George L's were bright and brittle sounding in my setup, not to mention they like to fail occasionally.

Also, I'd just search the forum as there seems to be a "Patch Cable" thread started on a daily basis, lots of info and opinions out there already.

I like the Lavas although some of them were a pain to assemble (sometimes the needle bends and sticks trough the center and touch the outside). So if you choose to make your own have a multi meter handy to check the cable for shorts.

• Members

I got the Planet Waves cable kit a while back, but the cables were too stiff and I had a hard time positioning pedals the way I wanted with them. Never had any sound issues with them.

I also usr the PW kit, it seems a lot sturdier than every other solderless kit i've tried. Very nice, but not good if you want your pedals really close to each other.

• Members

i have the lava cables. i like them. i had a few problems when i first put them together, but it was easy to fix and i got the hang of it. i really like how compact you can keep things and they sound good. it's a little pricey, but i think it was worth it. even cheap cables add up pretty fast. and making custom length is a big plus.

• Members

I used to use the Planet Waves, but as others have said, too stiff which makes them a pain in the butt. I recently switched out to a combo of the following cheap-o patch cables, and my sound actually IMPROVED... call me crazy, but MY ears like what I hear

These -
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HOSA-CFS-606-1-4-6-Guitar-Patch-Cables-6-Pack-/370498047020?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5643678c2c

and I get the right angle on these colorful 17" patch cables -
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Accessories/Cables-Snakes/Audio--RCA-Cables/1-4--1-4-Patch-Cable-8-Pack-17.site1prod330247.product

Cheap enough to buy numerous, and so what if one fails... chuck it, and pop in a new one. I actually have some of the colored ones from the 1980's that are still going strong

• Members

I make my own patches using Lava mini cable, paid around 17 bucks for ten feet on the bay. Check out these plugs, I like them better than the Switchcraft because they have the solder tab for ground as well as conductor. They're in Garden Grove dude, you could practically walk there.

A lot of my patch cables are getting old and kinda falling apart.. Any recommendation where I can get some pancake style jacks and some good quality cable?

• Members

If you want to do it on the cheap I've got 7' of cable + 12 connectors or so that I could get you for $20 shipped/pp'ed.

I'm running Lava's solderless, and they're really easy. I don't know why people might have problems with them. Seem pretty straight forward.

• Members

If you want to do it on the cheap I've got 7' of cable + 12 connectors or so that I could get you for $20 shipped/pp'ed.

I'm running Lava's solderless, and they're really easy. I don't know why people might have problems with them. Seem pretty straight forward.

Are they pancake angle jacks?

• Members

I like the G&H right angle jacks - they're more sturdy and easier to work with than the pancake type, and they're smaller than switchcraft and Neutrik right angled jacks.

As for cable, it doesn't make much difference really because when you're custom making cables the overall length is shorted than when you're using generic patch cables. I've been using Klotz thin patch cable and it seems to do the job just fine.

Archived