Dano Fab Tone - Such a good, cheap pedal

• Members

Does anyone else have one? I picked one up earlier today for $25, and I like to stack it with my amps distortion and fuzzes for teh br00tz.

I know a lot of people don't like them, but I think they are fantastic. Besides, Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai and Takaakira Goto from Mono have one :love:

• Members

because of Mono/Mogwai i really want to try one again, but when i had one years ago it was an incoherent amount of gain and fizzy highs. big low end though.

do you guys find you have to turn the treble almost all the way down? and how are the pro's using it? into already dstorted amps rather than clean channels?

• Members

It makes everything sound like mogwai

This without even knowing what they used. A friend had one and I was like "that's so Mogwai" and went to eBay one and they wanted $60 'cos Mogwai was in the title- hahaha. More people need to be spontaneously combust and/or play who can last the longest underwater.

• Members

Mono and Mogwai use them into clean amps. Using a pedal with that much gain into the drive channel of an amp would sound godawful. Yeah it sounds best with the treble pretty low, bass around 2-3:00, drive around 10:00.

Takaakira Goto from Mono uses it when he switches to the JCM800. I would imagine this to be an already dirty amp, but I could be wrong. I know he did not use it with his Fender Twin the entire time I saw them live, though.

I keep the bass almost maxed and the treble almost off. I actually like using it into the drive channel, but that's for the really noisy and chaotic songs.

• Members

My brother had a Fab Tone when we first started a band together, and it really sounded great to me. He ditched it once he bought his first proper gigging amp, but if he still had it, I'd buy it off him. We were playing metal, and it sounded pretty fuzzy, but I agree that it has a certain HM-2 vibe to it, for when note definition wasn't the top priority.

Damn, I think I might have to buy one.

• Members

Lot's of gain and you can't clean it up much. I had one and never really used it much. Sold it on CL and the guy tested it through my Vjr Combo. It actually sounded great with that amp (probably cause it pretty dark). That got me to thinking of getting another one day. Picked another one up on eBay cheap. Still don't use it much though.

• Members

I love boosting solos with the Fab Tone. Makes those single notes thick as all get-out.

@GreaserMatt -

I have an Ibanez Soundtank Flange and Trem I'd be willing to trade. The footswitches are a bit touchy and the trem is missing the batter cover and 2 of the 3 knobs, but the flange does this pretty nice self-oscillation and the trem does, well... trem. haha. What sayest thou? I'm PM'ing you as well.

• Members

i had one for like a month...reminded me of a more fizzy hm2

Makes sense. I bought mine new to replace my HM-2, because it was similar...only more of it. I haven't pulled it out of the box in probably a decade. Probably ought to reinvestigate it.

Archived