Tremolo Pedal Suggestions?

BatheInVice

• Members

I need the best balance of dirt cheap/competent/sounds fine. HELP MOM. I also kind of want some chorus for a few parts in some songs too. Are there any good, cheap multi-effects out there? I just never {censored} with mod effects so I don't know anything about them.

• Members

I'll put in a vote for the DOD Vibrothang. It's both dirt cheap and does great trem and some vibe stuff too.

tr-2's are good, plus there are lots of good mods for em out there.

Another good choice too. The EHX Pulsar is really nice as well.

• Members

the cool cats are, not sure about the Tuna melt.

no volume drop with the CC either, have heard the TR-2 is bad for this if un-modded

Allegedly the newer TR-2's have no volume drop. The capacitor mod (I want to say C4 but I did it so long ago I can't remember) definitely improves things toanzally.

Trems are bastards. Over the past couple of years i've tried virtually 30 or so trem pedals and none have really done what I want for a price I find acceptable. Currently i've got a Pulsar but quite frankly only 2% of what it can do is any good to me.

If you're not gigging and don't care about true bypassing i'd get a Tuna Melt. They at least sound great, despite being fragile. As for chorus, it depends what options you need. I'm looking for one myself at the minute, but i've not used modulation for a long time so i'm in over my head already.

• Members

i have been using the fulltone supa-trem. the speed/switch is hella handy live.

im selling it though cause it just takes up too much real estate for a trem pedal... i need room for more rat pedals.

just bought a menatone pleasure trem 5000, should be here in about a week, if u like a modern choppy sounding trem i hear they are the shiaz.

• Members

Allegedly the newer TR-2's have no volume drop. The capacitor mod (I want to say C4 but I did it so long ago I can't remember) definitely improves things toanzally.

Trems are bastards. Over the past couple of years i've tried virtually 30 or so trem pedals and none have really done what I want for a price I find acceptable. Currently i've got a Pulsar but quite frankly only 2% of what it can do is any good to me.

If you're not gigging and don't care about true bypassing i'd get a Tuna Melt. They at least sound great, despite being fragile. As for chorus, it depends what options you need. I'm looking for one myself at the minute, but i've not used modulation for a long time so i'm in over my head already.

Did you try the Artec? it's TB. :idk:

• Members

EQD Hummingbird. Pretty straight forward tremelo, but it can do choppy effects as well smooth vox/fender style tones and a little bit inbetween. Not too pricey for a handbuild true bypass pedal either.

Don't know about chorus though, don't care much for chorus myself. Used to have a CE-5 that did fine, but hardly ever got used.

The Line6 M5 seems a solid choice if you don't need corksniffy booteek

• Members

I have a Zoom G2.1nu and it has awesome tremolo and chorus. It has several different types of chorus including "Vintage CE" which is supposed to sound like an old Boss CE-1. I don't know if it does... but it does sound lush and rich.

The delays are great too. The reverbs are pretty good. The phase shifter is not to my liking.

It has other great effects. You can get 'em for about $150 - $170.

g2.1nuslant-small-300x220.jpg

• Members

Buying a tremolo pedal and hoping it won't volume drop is like buying a prostitute and hoping you won't wake up with a disease.

Not always true. All the trems with volume controls that I tried could be set with a boost and a few of the non-volume trems have no drop, in my experience.

If I were King, all trems should have volume knobs, though.

@ CoqBelliqueux - I tried the Artec and it was noisy as {censored} when turned on. Hum and click cycle noise. I did not abide.

tldr: The Boss TR-2 should be exactly the same as the Keeley version, plz.

• Members
Buying a tremolo pedal and hoping it won't volume drop is like buying a prostitute and hoping you won't wake up with a disease.

The CC trem has no noticeable volume drop and it's well known that Boss boosted the volume on their several years ago to eliminate this issue.

• Members

I need the best balance of dirt cheap/competent/sounds fine.

Boss TR-2 or EHX Stereo Pulsar would probably be best. The TR-2 has a smoother sound, and more controllable depth and speed. The Pulsar has more wave shapes but sounds less smooth, and if you touch the controls with a feather they go all over the place.

I've also A/B'd both the old and new versions of the TR-2 and the difference is noticable, but not huge. I'd still buy a Keeley/Analogman/Monte Allums model with a volume pot if I was going to get one again. Also people never point out that the new TR-2's don't go quite as fast as the older ones.

• Members

I have owned a Rogue Tremolo, Dano Cool Cat and now a Malekko Trem.

The Rogue sounded good and allowed me to mix hard and soft waves, but the amount of effect control in the knobs was lacking. You had to get the depth up to noon before you could really tell any difference. The Dano has a switch for hard or soft. It's max speed is faster than the Rogue. I now have a Malekko Trem and it is there to stay until I can afford an Iron Ether Cynet or Pigtronix Tremvelope. I sold off the Dano because the jacks were in the wrong place relative to all of my other pedals -- they were on top, it messed up my wiring scheme. I did not notice a volume loss in the Rogue or Dano. The Malekko has an internal trim pot, but I haven't need to touch it, yet.

• Members

I have the Supa Trem, the Boss Trem, Arion Trem and the Fuchs Trem.

Out of all of them the Fuchs is my fav. It's pricey and it volume drops but it is the best pedal I own. I just have it hooked up to put a Klon on with it through GCX to boost it.

For Chorus you can't beat the DOD FX-65 at any price IMHO and they're found between 10 - 30 all day.

• Members

I like the tuna melt. I don't notice any volume drop with mine, and other than the fact that I lost one of the knobs, I haven't had any problems with it. I do think I'll be rehousing it in the near future to upgrade the pots, jacks and switches, but for the $15 I paid for mine, it's been great.

Archived