UKers:Guitar shops/pubs/resturants in Bristol?

mr benn

• Members

well lads it looks like i have two days to kill in Bristol on my way to and from Glastonbury

is their any cool guitar shops/clubs worth checking out?

where's good to eat?

cheers!
:wave:

see if there is anything on at the fleece or the thekla .... and have a drink in the 'snack booth' thing in the centre of town a really cute girl works in there.

• Members

sorted! ..... and don't forget the snack booth.

hot bird:check!

any guitar shops worth a punt?

probably won't get to do that until the last day so i'll look like Robinson Crusoe guitar shopping,the staff will love me!!

lets see the reaction when i flash the cash...

of course Sir,you non-showered,Beardy man,we would love to sell you some EHX!!

• Members

Jam Guitars in Clifton - lots of boutique stuff. Not great atmosphere. Chance of EHX sighting: 3/10

Reverb in the centre - usual large chain. Chance of EHX sighting: 9/10

Treblerock in Clifton - some good stuff, really friendly owner. Chance of EHX sighting: 5/10 (depends on 2nd hand stock)

(saved the best til last) ELECTRIC LADYLAND in Old Market- you must visit this shop/cave/den/pit. So much gear you can sometimes hardly get in. Owner looks like a chain smoking, toothless Frank Zappa and is a lovely bloke once you get to know him. Ask to see the room upstairs where he keeps all the decent stuff, but don't be surprised if he says no. Chance of EHX sighting: 10/10 - I'm pretty sure he's got an original double muff or line booster from the 70's lying around. How do I know that? Because he ain't never selling it at the price he's got on it!

• Members

this clifton place,is it far from the city centre?

Electric Ladyland sounds fantastic!

Number 8 or 9 bus will get you there from the station in about 30 mins, from the centre a bit less

• Members

Jam guitars seems to be closed down last time I had a look at their site.

Reverb is now PMT but yeah it has some nice fenders and those fancy vox virage things and amps, oranges etc. TU-1000 in stock too!

The basement in Mickleburgh has some good stuff too, and much more pleasant than PMT. Those 2 and are all within about 100m of each other though so might aswell to the trio. That's right out of the bus station.. 'St Barton' Roundabout I think it's called. PMT is on Rupert Street.

Hobgoblin on Park St for folk/acoustic/mandolin/random instruments.

Drinking.. I tend to go King William or Old Duke (live music ever night) for jazz/blues, a bunch of pubs down there.. King Street and on the river. About 5 mins from The Fleece aswell. Everything is pretty close together!

• Members

Jam guitars seems to be closed down last time I had a look at their site.

Reverb is now PMT but yeah it has some nice fenders and those fancy vox virage things and amps, oranges etc. TU-1000 in stock too!

The basement in Mickleburgh has some good stuff too, and much more pleasant than PMT. Those 2 and are all within about 100m of each other though so might aswell to the trio. That's right out of the bus station.. 'St Barton' Roundabout I think it's called. PMT is on Rupert Street.

Hobgoblin on Park St for folk/acoustic/mandolin/random instruments.

Drinking.. I tend to go King William or Old Duke (live music ever night) for jazz/blues, a bunch of pubs down there.. King Street and on the river. About 5 mins from The Fleece aswell. Everything is pretty close together!

excellent stuff! cheers dude!

• Members

Jam Guitars is indeed closed. They've been flogging off some demo gear on Ebay recently and have moved to online sales only.

Vintage and Rare have a little shop in Bath. I suspect it's a temporary thing for the summer as it's not exactly in a prime shopping area. When I went past last week, they didn't have much stock in at all.

The Old Duke in Bristol is a good pub. Not pretentious, decent brews on tap, and generally a good selection of music. I'll be there tomorrow night with friends :)

As Gambit says, check the gig listings. In years past, Oasis, Supergrass and the Progidy did warm-up pre-Glasto gigs in this area all on the fairly sly.

• Members

The old duke is great. Really fantastic music.

treblerock and jam definitely closed. Pre-menstrual tension music as they for some reason decided to name it is pretty uninspiring tbh.

There's a guitar shop on gloucester road (think it's called PK music or something) that has the most incredible selection of random bull{censored} I've ever seen. The most obscure amps and pedals in bristol. Not boutique; just completely random.

What days are you here?

• Members

def check electric ladyland. I have a friend who sent me photos of this place and it's unreal. He was holding an original epiphone hollowbody bass from 1960s, so hard to find and behind him was a wall of guitars in their cases. He said it was heaven.

• Members

The old duke is great. Really fantastic music.

treblerock and jam definitely closed. Pre-menstrual tension music as they for some reason decided to name it is pretty uninspiring tbh.

Treblerock isn't closed - they've just moved to a smaller shop on Princess Victoria Street in Clifton Village.

Doesn't surprise me that Jam closed down, but it's a shame as they had some really nice stuff in there.

Also, is Ricaxxe still open (near the back of Debenhams)? The guy in there is hilarious but in a really bad way. Doesn't like you trying the gear as it's too exclusive, or rare, or you need to use your own amp to try this guitar etc etc...

• Members

Be warned that electric ladyland is a PITA to get to. I've seen some amazing stuff in the window, but I've never been that way during opening hours! :facepalm:

Treblerock isn't closed - they've just moved to a smaller shop on Princess Victoria Street in Clifton Village.

Doesn't surprise me that Jam closed down, but it's a shame as they had some really nice stuff in there.

Also, is Ricaxxe still open (near the back of Debenhams)? The guy in there is hilarious but in a really bad way. Doesn't like you trying the gear as it's too exclusive, or rare, or you need to use your own amp to try this guitar etc etc...

Ricaxxe is the one you have to be buzzed into isn't it? I've never been in. Don't like browsing with some dude over my shoulder.

Right you are about treblerock. That shop is so pokey that while he's giving guitar lessons in there there isn't room for you too! :lol:

• Members

Jam Guitars closing has done the gear buying public a favour. I walked in a couple of years ago with the express interest of buying a power supply and a Mad Prof. Distortion. The knobhead was so objectionable I didnt buy said items and vowed never to buy any stuff there.

Good and I hope their internet business does just as well

Not that I hold a grudge

Archived