A Question....

companyman

• Members

...for introspection's sake. Who decides who is an Artist, (musician, dance, visual, etc.) and who is not? Did you decide at some point in your life that you were an Artist, and that you would dedicate your life to your discipline, and the furtherment of it's intellectual model, with technique or theory, or by some other means?

Is there an incremental system of quality or degree's of an Artist? From novice, to so-so, to Master, like a Guild system? Is it established by an intelligentsia of critics and theorist's, born of the University system, a matter of pedagogy?

Or is it a simple matter of unrelenting will, tenacity and rigorous technique of the Artist, an Id/Ego thing? A test of fortitude, moxy, and intellectual reaching?

Or, more likely, is it decided in the gladiator ring of the market?

...no I'm not asking you guys to do my homework for me, :lol: I'm not in school, just curious and thought it might bring some differing perspectives on creativity. :wave:

• Members

Is there an incremental system of quality or degree's of an Artist? From novice, to so-so, to Master, like a Guild system? Is it established by an intelligentsia of critics and theorist's, born of the University system, a matter of pedagogy?

Good art/bad art.

• Members

I just do what I do. People can call it what they want.

this is my attitude, anybody ever say "hey man, your an artist with that there git fiddle?" Ya know, with enough beer and whatever it takes your people to talk about such stuff?

I had the misfortune to be tapped as an artist when I was 5 years old, in church, the Sunday school teacher wanted us to draw a bible scene from our heads, so I drew with a horizon line and was using perspective and foreshortening to show depth, ( I just had an observational aptitude early I guess) and all the adults oohed and ahhed and said "he such Artist!" It was a label that stuck....so they always asked me to do stupid school bulletinboards and posters and {censored}, I wanted to go melt army men and blow {censored} up with firecrackers!

• Members

I have a friend getting his PhD on the the very subject (and about the philosophy of aesthetics in general). I mention this because there is a ton of debate on it.

As for me, I feel like art is a term that's been antiquated by the Industrial Revolution, and our apprehension about art vis a vis commerce and mass production reflects art as an ideology that's been challenged by drastic changes in production in the past couple hundred years.

Recently I've realized that I've in the past placed a huge premium self-identifying as a Musician or Artist, and nowadays I see that as a huge ego conceit. On one hand, that realization has liberated me from the constraints of what an artist/musician should be, and what his role is in society. On the other hand, because I made so much of my identity dependent on those concepts, I'm unsure how to give my life and my creative works context or meaning.

edit: I should mention that, like companyman, because I came from an "artistic" family, being a Creative Artist Person was basically expected of me. Not that I didn't have a natural predisposition for it, but I wonder how those parental expectations shaped my self expectations, which I struggle with a lot.

• Members

art is in the eye of the beholder

ple4P.jpg

this is truth, however there a great many things that lead up to the beholder receiving the delivery mechanism. The reveal, is a magic moment of exchange between the creator, and the audience, but is only part of the process, a great many decisions have to happen first.

would love to hear SAL's bluster in this thread....

• Members
I have a friend getting his PhD on the the very subject (and about the philosophy of aesthetics in general). I mention this because there is a ton of debate on it.

As for me, I feel like art is a term that's been antiquated by the Industrial Revolution, and our apprehension about art vis a vis commerce and mass production reflects art as an ideology that's been challenged by drastic changes in production in the past couple hundred years.

Recently I've realized that I've in the past placed a huge premium self-identifying as a Musician or Artist, and nowadays I see that as a huge ego conceit. On one hand, that realization has liberated me from the constraints of what an artist/musician should be, and what his role is in society. On the other hand, because I made so much of my identity dependent on those concepts, I'm unsure how to give my life and my creative works context or meaning.

edit: I should mention that, like companyman, because I came from an "artistic" family, being a Creative Artist Person was basically expected of me. Not that I didn't have a natural predisposition for it, but I wonder how those parental expectations shaped my self expectations, which I struggle with a lot.

just a top notch post, thanks.....as far as the Industrial Revolution redefining Art, I couldn't agree more....I think a schism that occurred in the early 60's, Pop Art, and Minimalism, continues today. There are a great many factors of industrialization that come into play, with the actual materials in Art making. New pigments being introduced (Cobalt, Cadmium, Barium, synthetic dyes etc.) paint in tubes, different mediums etc. New sculpture materials, musical instrument technology etc. The ideologies in the machine age were vastly different from previous ages as well.

I am not from a family of creative types, unless you go way back...my mother is a descendant of Ralph Waldo Emerson....not too intimidating :lol:
So my family were like, "where did you come from"? :lol:

I am of the opinion, in my case, that it is not up to me to call myself an Artist, I leave it up to others, to do, or not do. I care little for the title, seems like a corporate lackey attitude to me, to need affirmation with a title.

• Members

an artist is anyone who produces art.

art is anything produced by an artist.

is there any demarcation whatsoever? So what a caricaturist on the boardwalk produces is the same as DaVinci's work for instance?

or Attack, Attack is the same as Beethoven?

• Members

Think, do. Analysis doesn't change what it is.

not so sure about this, for instance the work of Joseph Bueys, he transformed everyday objects like fat and felt to represent a personal talisman of sorts, he crashed his aircraft in the Russian tundra, and was rescued by the locals, and they wrapped him in fat and felt to warm him up from his prolonged exposure to the Russian winter. He went on to create all sorts of work with these materials that summoned the experience for him every time. A person not familiar with the codex of the materials would miss a great deal of the emotional impact of the work, analysis and subsequent research on Beuy's iconography would change what the work was to the viewer.

Archived