Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive vs Catalinbread Formula № 5

scolfax

• Members

Currently using a Mad Professor Little Green Wonder and would like to pair it up with either the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive or Catalinbread Formula ? 5.

I love the demos I've heard for both. I play a G&L Legacy (Strat) through a Top Hat Club Royale (Vox circuit). I pretty much just play Classic Rock.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHFst9vatJF6bJicddxu-images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3qamAiREExV5ojZw5Jd7

• Members

Hmm. I like the Barber LTD and the Catalinbread SFT more for classic rock. The Barber has this transparency to it, your tone just with more gain. And the SFT just roars as an overdrive, it is not as subtle but the tone that comes out of it is just beautiful.

• Members

The Formula No. 5 has a lot of richness and complexity in the midrange that makes it a pretty unique pedal, IMO. It's the sort of thing I don't think you can really hear in an online demo, although the CB demo is pretty good. Another nice thing about the No. 5 is you can get exploding amp Neil Young sounds at the top end of the gain spectrum. That pretty much sells it for me.

• Members

The Formula No. 5 has a lot of richness and complexity in the midrange that makes it a pretty unique pedal, IMO. It's the sort of thing I don't think you can really here in an online demo, although the CB demo is pretty good. Another nice thing about the No. 5 is you can get exploding amp Neil Young sounds at the top end of the gain spectrum. That pretty much sells it for me.

They both sound great but right now I'm leaning towards the No. 5. Seems like it can get more Clapton-esque, with those loose saturated tones that I love. The volume sensitivity seems outstanding on the MP, but so far the No. 5 seems a little more special.

• Members

I'm still diggin' my SHOD. Occasionally I want a little more gain range out of it, but it just sounds too good to get rid of and works too well with my setup.

It's a very touch sensitive pedal that's really responsive to your playing. It adds a unique midrange sound and just really sweetens everything up; lives up to it's name. ;) ... No experience with the Formula No5, but CBread makes fantastic dirts. :thu:

The SHOD is best suited as an overdrive; not as a foundation pedal (IMO).

• Members

I've had both and both are awesome pedals so I think you would be happy with either.

Thanks everyone. I more or less flipped a coin and pulled the trigger on the No. 5. Actually it was probably the Neil Young tones that pushed me over the edge!

• Members

I have the FN5 and love it, but it is ROWDY. Very gainy and gnarly pedal...the higher the gain, the less sensitivity you get and the less the tone works. I usually keep the gain low and boost the volume and its plenty gainy. I have no opinion on the MP since I have never played one. But with you playing mostly classic rock, I would think the SHOD would be better to pair with your TS style pedal.

• Members

I have the FN5 and love it, but it is ROWDY. Very gainy and gnarly pedal...the higher the gain, the less sensitivity you get and the less the tone works.

Yep - just like a real 5E3.

If you want less gain, roll back your guitar's volume control a bit. This pedal moreso than anything else we make is a 'set it and forget it' kinda deal - set it up for your max gain preference and control it all from the guitar.

• Members

If you want less gain, roll back your guitar's volume control a bit. This pedal moreso than anything else we make is a 'set it and forget it' kinda deal - set it up for your max gain preference and control it all from the guitar.

how do you think it'd sound with single coils through a bassman?

• Members

Exactly. It reacts very much like an actual tweed amp. Like I said, I love it! But you gotta know how to tame the beast....I use it mainly for leads and wild blooming open chords.

• Members

Exactly. It reacts very much like an actual tweed amp. Like I said, I love it! But you gotta know how to tame the beast....I use it mainly for leads and wild blooming open chords.

I actually play a lot of clean stuff through it rolling back my volume control - tweed cleans when the amp is cranked are some of my favorite tones ever, and we worked super hard to make sure the Fn5 responded the same way.

• Members

i'll try to post a crappy demo of the Formula no. 5 and the Mad Professor SHOD as well as a Screwdriver i threw in there to youtube today. tried doing it from home last night - 4 gig HD video, and was gona take 20 hours to upload!! :eek:

my thoughts on the matter are that the Formula no.5 is a much more diverse pedal, with more clarity and better sounds and a much wider range of sounds from mild overdrive to pretty heavy stuff, especially if you hit it with a volume boost beforehand, can turn into a wild fuzz almost.

i just got the SHOD a few weeks ago used, its the handwired version. its alright, i feel like it gets along much better with humbuckers than my single coil strat. amount of gain on tap is quite low, and i'm really not gelling with it too much so far. probably just going to sell it, i must say i expected more from it. the formula no. 5 on the other hand gets everything done right.

Archived