New AVRI Fender Thinlines:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

holy crap those prices piss me off.

Totally ridiculous. I got a new CIJ Thinline in '04 & have sourced original wide range humbuckers. Total cost, less than $1500 including the pickguard, upgraded pots, etc. I'd have no confidence in the MIA models being better build quality or sounding than what I have, and I seriously doubt Fender's done too much with the pickups so I'd just need to upgrade those anyways.

They do look nice, though......

IMG_0015.jpg

I kinda wish they would of used nitro instead of the gloss lacquer.

How do you know they're not using nitro? :confused:

All I saw on the site was "gloss lacquer", and since they didn't specify what kind of lacquer, there's no way (that I can see) to know whether it's nitrocellulose lacquer or acrylic lacquer... :idk:

From my understanding Phil, they don't spray nitrocellulose in SoCA.

I'm sorry, but unless Fender has changed something recently, you're incorrect on that. :) I've got close friends who work in the Custom Shop, and I've toured the entire USA (Corona) factory, and actually watched a guy spraying nitro on bodies. It's really pretty slick how Fender has it all set up to comply with the SCAQMD (air pollution regulations - they're really strict here in SoCA). The paint room is completely sealed off, and the air is treated and recirculated. The spraying is done in front of a small waterfall, which catches a large percentage of the overspray, so it never goes into the air. The painter is in a full white oversuit and wearing a high-quality respirator, etc. I'm not positive about this part, but I believe someone said that Fender was one of the few (if not only) places allowed to spray nitro lacquer on a large commercial scale here in SoCA due to the highly effective containment / environmental precautions they've put into place.

I've got pics of the factory tour posted somewhere... I'll see if I can dig them up for you. :)

• Members

I don't see how these are gonna much nicer in body/neck construction than the MIJ/MIM models, which are spectacular in that regard. Without a meaningful pickup upgrade in both models, these are just a redundant cash grab IMO. That said, my MIM has a two piece top with horrible bookmatching under the Triburst. :D Maybe these will pay attention to small details like that.

I got a new CIJ Thinline in '04 & have sourced original wide range humbuckers. Total cost, less than $1500 including the pickguard, upgraded pots, etc. I'd have no confidence in the MIA models being better build quality or sounding than what I have, and I seriously doubt Fender's done too much with the pickups so I'd just need to upgrade those anyways.

They do look nice, though......

IMG_0015.jpg

I could totally be happy with that setup, although I'd prefer a nice big "ice cube" blocky white / cream MOTS pearl pickguard like my '73 had. But that's one very nice guitar you have there! :) I think that they got it pretty darned accurate with the MIJ reissues, except of course for the pickups. Again, technically, they're more accurate, since the original early 70s Thinlines had poly finishes, not lacquer like the new AVRI has. But it will be interesting to see if there's any sonic difference with a lacquer finish. I wonder if they're doing a poly sealer coat? In general, I really like the sound of a lacquer finish, and yes, I do believe there's a sonic difference, though slight...

• Members

^the original 90s issues of those go for big money, I feel bad for anyone who paid a ton for one only to have Fender reissue them.

Thanks :D The new Telebration model costs almost twice as much like mine did as a second-hand guitar eBay :)

• Members

I wonder that too.

Lollar finally got around to making a true re-issue of them though:

this really interests me as I'm more in the market for a fender 72 deluxe. How "true" are these pickups? If they are as good as the real deal, then that means i could get a 72 road worn and slap those in and save bout

• Members
this really interests me as I'm more in the market for a fender 72 deluxe. How "true" are these pickups? If they are as good as the real deal, then that means i could get a 72 road worn and slap those in and save bout

• Members

I don't see how these are gonna much nicer in body/neck construction than the MIJ/MIM models, which are spectacular in that regard. Without a meaningful pickup upgrade in both models, these are just a redundant cash grab IMO. That said, my MIM has a two piece top with horrible bookmatching under the Triburst.
:D
Maybe these will pay attention to small details like that.

The value for money thing won't be better with these AVRIs, if that's what you mean. Bang for the buck-whise you probably can't get a better fender tele then the mim/mij models impo. That slight difference comes with a heavey price tag that I'm personally not willing to pay at this point.

Archived