Is Gumtree *always* a complete waste of time, or is it just me?

• Members

Here's the discussion I had about the acoustic guitar I listed on Gumtree:

Me:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/yamaha-apx-500-electro-acoustic-guitar/83943176

Her:

hello

got pictures please,

i'm in northampton, not far

is there a case anyhow? (ad clearly states NO CASE)

Me:

Hi,

Here's some pictures of the guitar- some of the close-ups are a little blurry- I don't have a tripod for the camera and it takes a very steady hand! I've included pictures of the chip on the rear of the headstock (only about 5mm in real life) but couldn't get a picture of the two or three small 2-3mm dings on the body. There's a little bit of wear on the lower frets but not enough to affect playability at all. I've also included a shot of the preamp/EQ module on the side working, just so you know it works :)

Let me know if you're still interested or not and we'll work out a time and place to meet...

Her:

hello

how long have you had this guitar?

have you had it from new?

do you know the age?

whats serial number? its just there's a site that you can check yamaha's age when you input the serial number

sorry for all the questions

its just i used to own one a little while back and it would be great if it happened to be the same one.

its okay i'm not after a stolen one, just been after one thats been well played

also

apart from the fact i think your're selling this very cheap would you be interested in swapping for a decent laptop?

really after a hardcase or a soft gig bag.

i've been let down with the sale of my laptop which i was going to fund for this and a gigbag

the laptop i was selling was going for

• Members

I've had pretty good luck with Gumtree so far. I always specify now that I am looking for a face-to-face, cash-in-hand deal, after getting sick of people asking will I ship abroad etc. I use Gumtree precisely because I don't want to get involved in shipping, Paypal etc.

I don't even bother wasting my time replying to lowball offers anymore.

• Members

I've bought and sold on there. The main thing that surprises me is how few people can spell when they get in touch with you. And also how months after an item is sold, you'll get 5 messages in a week asking if it's still available.

But then, I've never had a deal go bad and everyone I've dealt with has been very friendly - there don't seem to be many total tits on there like you get with ebay. I think timewasters are inevitable no matter where you decide to sell something - it's human nature to entertain the notion of buying things that you can't justify/afford.

• Members

I've bought and sold a bunch of stuff on gumtree. Recently I've sold a mountain bike (which was a pain in the shit but thats because the kid who bought it was dumb as shit) and a superbass. The guy who bought my superbass complained of it being noisy and tried to low ball me claiming it needed repair. It didnt (I can tech amps, it had newish valves and had been recapped) it was because he was playing a strat with single coils with the amp wound up to about noon :facepalm: I plugged my SG into it and the noise disappeared. Funny that. He paid the full amount in the end.

• Members

I hate local classifieds, every gypsy in town come calling with a lowball and 300 irrelevant questions... i can't count the number of times people have made appointments to meet to check something out only to have them blow it off with out a call... i'm at the point where i'm just going to trade gear to a shop and take a bit of a loss to save with all the hassle

• Members

I've bought and sold on there. The main thing that surprises me is how few people can spell when they get in touch with you.
And also how months after an item is sold, you'll get 5 messages in a week asking if it's still available.

But then, I've never had a deal go bad and everyone I've dealt with has been very friendly - there don't seem to be many total tits on there like you get with ebay. I think timewasters are inevitable no matter where you decide to sell something - it's human nature to entertain the notion of buying things that you can't justify/afford.

This may sound ridiculously patronising, but do you go back and edit the advert making it clear that the item's being sold? Admittedly I'm one of those people that will still contact about an item from months gone by if I see it had little views in the first place, and a lot of the time it is still available.

I've personally never had any problems with Gumtree, although I typically buy as opposed to sell. Had a few very good, straightforward deals on there and nobody trying to mess me about. I've sold one or two things as well and even then it hasn't been too much of a hassle. Just don't respond to the people looking to lowball or asking stupid questions, because it's very likely that it'll take forever to deal with them and/ or they're only slightly interested and just want an excuse to justify them pulling out.

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Gumtree is a complete waste of time, you ask a seller if the item is still available....then wait....and wait...no reply!

this happens time after time,  if your going to sell on Gumtree PLEASE be considerate enough to reply even if the item has been sold.

• Members

On 11/28/2020 at 9:27 AM, songforguy said:

Gumtree is a complete waste of time, you ask a seller if the item is still available....then wait....and wait...no reply!

On our yankee version of gumtree,  "craigslist", it's considered rude to ask if the item is still available. Most sellers will simply ignore these inquiries. I think It's a way scammers use to filch sellers' email addresses.  Fully half the adverts (if not more) state "if the ad is still up the item is still available." For their part, sellers should take the advert down immediately once the item has sold. 

If the ad's up, then you can safely assume the item's still available. Sellers are only interested in corresponding with BUYERS, mate.  People asking if the item is still available are an annoying waste of time.  I don't sell much on Craigslist anymore, but any questions sent to me that aren't specific to the item being sold are ignored. 

Americans are rude that way. :wave:

Archived