Can a Vactrol octocoupler be used in a clean boost ?

warioblast

• Members

Hmm. I can think of one use for it. You could use it to trigger a noise gate to eliminate unwanted crap from your signal when not playing.

Otherwise...I guess you could tie it to a tone control?

• Members

vactrols can be put in absolutely anything! I could put one in my celphone carger to control battery charging bias through CV :lol:

I think we can better answer your question if you told us what you want the vactrol to do, and also what controls the vactrol. a vactrol is a two-part component. there's the half of it that controls a part of a circuit, and the other half that's controlled by something else. that's the only way vactrols are used.

do you want to drive a boost with an LFO or through CV? that would make sense to use a vactrol. do you want to add a noise gate to a boost?

• Members

Hmm. I can think of one use for it. You could use it to trigger a noise gate to eliminate unwanted crap from your signal when not playing.

that's exactly what I used one for my ringmods! as a noise gate.

• Members

I like the Demulator tremulator as a clean boost. Though I'm not really using it as a boost, because I have no really control on the 'boost' effect. Seeing the Tremulator is valcro-based I was just wondering if there was any vactrol-based clean boost. I'm no expert to say if it's doable or not.

vactrols have been used as variable gain elements for many moons, like compressors

Sure - they're great for compressors, and I suppose you can use a compressor as a boost (as long as it has an output gain control), but I can't see what purpose or advantage there would be in using a vactrol in a straight clean boost pedal. :idk:

• Members

Basically what you want to do mate is disconnect the LFO from the trem and replace the vactrol with a pot to control the gain

then you'll have that boost you're looking for

Honestly this thread is like saying "I really like the way my EQ pedal sounds as a boost. Are there any boost pedals that use sliders instead of pots?"

• Members

Yeah it sounds like you want the tremolo pedal's non-vactrol portion by itself, really. It probably has a boost circuit to compensate for volume loss percieved from having a trem going.

Also, noticed your sig martin. Are you going to start incorporating tessellator features into the looker?

*Nudge: You should mke some more of those.

• Members

as others are saying, it's not because the trem uses a vactrol that you like it. trems often need vactrols because there's an LFO (chop chop) controlling the signal's volume several times a second. if remove the trem part, you can remove the vactrol as well and just replace the vactrol's output with a pot.

Archived