So, who's the greatest guitarist and why?

• Members

This isn't an argument, I just want to know the greatest guitarist in YOUR opinion. I hear Jimi a lot, without any specific reason, and while I like him, I don't know what makes him better than everyone else. That being said I still consider him the best, because he gets so much credit for it, and the more fans you make, the better a musician you are. My personal favourite however is Eric Johnson, I love his melodies, and he has amazing technique, his chordal work is like something I could only dream of, and he makes his fast playing sound so nice and smooth and not fast.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My personal favourite by a long way is Jeff Buckley, not saying he's the greatest. The player whose style mine most reflects would probably John Frusciante who could be a contender i suppose, probably is the best of the past 20 years or so.

• Members

I vote for Warren Haynes, he can play anything, he's soulful, he has a unique tone, plays slide, and is a mother{censored}ing beast!

I don't care for the speed players, playing burning solos at 500 bps...What is that? sounds like a digital synthesizer sped up. I'm talking soul, feeling, and emotion.

• Members

From a technical standpoint, Jeff Beck.

Rent the "Live At Ronnie Scott's" video and you will see it for yourself. He does things on the guitar that no other rock guitar player I know of can do, and he does them flawlessly.

Artistically is a matter of taste, and I have too many favorites to pick just one.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

Me, because my mom says so.

In all seriousness though, I'd have to give another vote for John Frusciante. Technically gifted and a great effect user, but tastefully applies both.

I'd also mention Kevin Shields, purely because (for me) he showed how you could use every aspect of the guitar in new, creative ways. From the tremolo picking, to effects, to post production, his approach was a bit of a game changer to how I viewed the electric guitar.

• Members

Rolling Stone
In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine published a list called The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. This list included 100 guitarists whom the magazine considered the best, with a brief introduction for each of them. The first in this list is the American guitarist Jimi Hendrix introduced by Pete Townshend, guitarist for The Who, who was, in his turn, ranked at #50 of the list. The list is heavily in favor of electric US blues rock guitarists. The Top Ten of The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time by Rolling Stone are:[4]
# Guitarist Nationality
01 Jimi Hendrix United States
02 Duane Allman United States
03 B.B. King United States
04 Eric Clapton United Kingdom
05 Robert Johnson United States
06 Chuck Berry United States
07 Stevie Ray Vaughan United States
08 Ry Cooder United States
09 Jimmy Page United Kingdom
10 Keith Richards United Kingdom

• Members

# Guitarist Nationality

01 Jimi Hendrix United States

02 Duane Allman United States

03 B.B. King United States

04 Eric Clapton United Kingdom

05 Robert Johnson United States

06 Chuck Berry United States

07 Stevie Ray Vaughan United States

08 Ry Cooder United States

09 Jimmy Page United Kingdom

10 Keith Richards United Kingdom

Bleh.

• Members

and the more fans you make, the better a musician you are

No, the more fans you make simply reflects your ability as an entertainer, and how capable you are with establishing a common ground between your own emotions and the fans. In this sense is why Jimi is so highly touted. There is a connection to his music that you just don't find much in most music. He bridged a gap between blues, rock, and something entirely ethereal. His guitar was a conduit for something else, and not many people really see that. All they see is a great guitarist, nothing more. Which is cool, but you're missing half of the equation.

Some people put their soul into their music. Jimi put music into his soul.

• Members

My personal favourite by a long way is Jeff Buckley, not saying he's the greatest. The player whose style mine most reflects would probably John Frusciante who could be a contender i suppose, probably is the best of the past 20 years or so.

I recently bought an album of his for a friends birthday having only heard Hallelujah, just based on the fact that he covered Hallelujah and Corpus Christi Carol, and there was a hype around him (I got her Grace, so as soon as I saw Hallelujah and Corpus Christi Carol, I was set)

• Members

It's hard to argue against Jimi simply for the fact that he was an innovator and brought a new sound to the masses. Unless I'm mistaken, not many players used effects such as wahs, univibes and fuzzes to the extent that he did. He didn't have the best technique or was the fastest player, but it didn't matter. When you hear Jimi, you know exactly who it is. While I think Jimi is great, my personal favorite is David Gilmour. His tone and his ability to play what is fairly basic and make it sound grand always amazes me.

• Members

John Frusciante. His influences and range of styles are epic. He has some beatiful chord structures and melody ideas. I love the 'old fashioned' approach he has to playing and recording. I love his solo stuff. Like everyone this is all personal opinion I don't believe in 'a best' but this is who does it for me/who is top of my list.

Archived