Brother_Budro

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the only problem with getting another bass player is that
he was the one that started the band and wrote the basis for many of our songs,
and hes really {censored}ing good

well it sounds like it's his band, and the main writer as well. I wouldn't want to play for less than that either, unless you're just doing it to have fun, not everyone shares that attitude. as far as everyone helping out equally, very few bands make that a reality. if it's his band, maybe he'll fire you guys.

• Members

it varies but on average $100US each (5 piece band) is what we get payed, there are a few bars here where the band keeps the door and we've made over $200US each that way...

and I agree with what the first few responders said....get a new bass player.... I can understand the babysitter thing but then the cost for THAT should come off the top then have the rest divided, but that's how I'd do it...However if he's not pulling his weight then {censored} him...

• Members

Find a new bassist or a new band. Inexcusable behavior and marriage and/or parenthood doesn't make one's time and money more valuable than one who chooses not to do those kind of things.
Plus showing up and letting everyone else do all of the bull{censored} that involves playing a show is {censored}ed.
As far as your first question goes, it depends. My band does pretty well locally, but we don't take payouts to offset merch costs, tour costs, etc. When we're on the road, we stay ahead and maybe give out per diems if we're far enough ahead.

• Members

not to defend this kingprick but the construction industry in the US has been decimated in recent years.

Yeah, I know. just about every industry is taking a beating right now, but most guys that own construction companies are usually doin pretty well for themselves.

And really at the end of the day, it shouldn't matter how much he makes. There's no need to act like such a prick.

• Members

have any of these complains/issues been discussed with him?

If he has been up front about what he wants/does and you go along with it but bitch about it behind his back then who is the prick here?

+1, sounds like whining to me. we're only hearing one side of the story as well. + it's his band, don't like it, leave

• Members
even if he was up front about what he wanted and everyone agreed to it, people are still allowed to change their minds. I think it's plain to see who is being the prick here.

I think if he stated his case and they went along with it then he's not being a prick. :idk:

Sure they can change their minds but talk about with him, not whine about it here, thats kind of lame too

• Members

I think if he stated his case and they went along with it then he's not being a prick.
:idk:

Sure they can change their minds but talk about with him, not whine about it here, thats kind of lame too

I don't think the OP came here to whine about it, I think he came here to seek advice on how to handle it. I don't think that's lame, I think it's the kind of stuff we are supposed to be talking about here.

I mean sure, give it a shot and try to talk to the guy, maybe it will scare him back to his senses. If not, I think it's time to move on.

• Members

there's never a perfect situation. I've quit bands before and regretted it, it's part of doing anything where a handful of humans are involved, someones going to piss you off, get used to it.

Sure, somebody has to be the alpha male asshole in the group, but how much is too much? I guess that's not for any of us to decide.

• Members

he said what?!

he did what?!

that {censored} don't fly in my world. equal work, equal share. no one better than anyone else.

kick his ass to the curb. you don't NEED that BS, man...

yeah, I mean what?? I wasn't even sure if serious at first, figured it must be a parody thread.

his GF comes to every gig? {censored} me that must be fun for you all..... get {censored}ing shot of the **** right now.

• Members

gig money goes to a band fund to pay for rehearsal space rent, transportation, recording, pressing & merch. if you make enough to cover all that + extra to cover onforseen expenses (van dies on tour, for example), split the rest evenly.

don't want to do that and just pay out the members instead? give him his $100 with an invoice for gas to tote his {censored}, an hourly wage for being his roadie, a finders fee for booking the gig and an hourly wage for running merch if you do that and he doesn't. see how he likes coming away with even less than before.

Archived