Protesters being arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. Mass movement getting pissed.

solewheelin

• Members
I guess views on this movement all come down to your essential economic paradigm. If you believe things really are as they seem, that the "work put in= money gotten out" function is essentially true, then protesting greed might indeed seem like a needless cause.

However, if you believe that economic resources are limited and that the accumulation of the rich necessarily deprives the poor, it makes perfect sense.

If that makes sense to you, yet you still think the protesters are stupid because they should just be happy with their "piece of the pie" like you are, then you are no more than a corporate pawn, living the life of quiet consumption "they" want you to live.

People protest against big government and, whether spun positively or negatively, they get constant major press coverage. People get together to protest big business, and, at best, they get cast as irrelevant hippies.
:facepalm:

Further, I still don't understand the central goal of the Tea Party movement, but they've become a major force in Republican politics. Why is it so hard to fathom a grassroots progressive movement mobilizing idealistic leftists?
:confused:

I honestly don't see these protests turning violent unless a leftist figurehead gets assassinated, as in the evolution of the Civil Rights movement after King and R. Kennedy were assassinated. America has a long history of peaceful civil disobedience for these protesters to draw on, and they seem to be a pretty idealistic bunch.

How will this all end? I don't know. At best, it will end with us, as a country, realizing that we can't go forward with our current money-dominated political system. At worst, it will end with right-wing, Tea-Party backed militias massacring the hippies, who don't have guns.
:p

:poke:Hey I'm hippie with an arsenal lol..

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this movement causes the democratic party to move to the left I wonder if the government is going to be even more deadlocked then it already is. If taxes are raised to create jobs it should be a win win since the economy will grow and so will profits. You can't create jobs by giving tax incentives to companies that already have a ton of money. Even companies that don't have money are not going to hire unless demand for their services requires them too. The idea of creating jobs by deregulation/tax incentives alone just doesn't add up to me. We need a short term strategy of creating jobs and a long term strategy of building down government debt. Investing in infrastructure right now makes perfect sense to me especially because of the pain the housing/building sector is in. Instead of paying people unemployment why not pay them to build roads, repair bridges, etc....

• Members

"Whats wrong with protesting GREED, FRAUD, COLLUSION, CRIMINALITY at the banks & Wall street? "

the fact someone is protesting greed is just laughable. thats the point. the sheer ignorance of the concept.

why not protest people with a bad sense of humor or fashion sense? why should we tolerate it? because its legal, thats why.

im not well off, i think theres a lot of changes that should be considered but this broadsided, blunt approach to a complicated situation just makes them appear ignorant. this topic is what the rest of the country has been debating for years- while providing possible solutions or approaches to deal with it not just yelling nonsensical catch phrases at traffic.

Are Republicans innately stupid or deliberately so?

It's the COMBINATION OF GREED, FRAUD, COLLUSION, CRIMINALITY that's the problem.

"Oh, I have two yachts. I need four. So I'll cheat the government, churn my clients' stocks, talk others into buying into stocks I'm going to short, and then foreclose on their houses! I don't care if they {censored}in' starve..I NEED TWO MORE YACHTS!!!"

• Members

"Whats wrong with protesting GREED, FRAUD, COLLUSION, CRIMINALITY at the banks & Wall street? "

Are Republicans innately stupid or deliberately so?

It's the COMBINATION OF
GREED, FRAUD, COLLUSION, CRIMINALITY
that's the problem.

"Oh, I have two yachts. I need four. So I'll cheat the government, churn my clients' stocks, talk others into buying into stocks I'm going to short, and then foreclose on their houses! I don't care if they {censored}in' starve..I NEED TWO MORE YACHTS!!!"

this is exactly what i was trying to avoid. based on what you just typed i believe you should leave the country's problems to people with a much higher level of understanding. you should probably just go back outside and yell at people on their way to work.

• Members

this is exactly what i was trying to avoid. based on what you just typed i believe you should leave politics to people with a much higher level of understanding.

Like you?

Right. The guy who doesn't understand that GREED is NOT legal when it leads to FRAUD, COLLUSION and CRIMINALITY.

• Members
I hope I get executed in the street by an executive in a suit in the near future distopian USA so I can die happily knowing I'll never face the indignity of white kids making a difference.

White kids can't make a difference. Everyone knows that. So you can die happy today. ;)

• Members

Hippies should Get back to doing what they originally did best... Find some Earth, grow some food, live close to nature, and weather through the approaching storm.

When all the traders and bankers come desperately running from the wolves at their heels and offer bank notes in exchange for food, they should feed them to the pitbulls guarding the farm.

There's more and more people doing that these days I think. Getting back to nature.

• Members

Here's the economic justice that we need- the Tobin tax. Tax stock transactions at the rate of maybe a half cent per dollar. It's estimated that it would bring in about $350 Billion in tax revenue per year. Everything else bought and sold legally requires a tax. Of course, the rich will fight to their last drop of blood to keep that from happening.

• Members

Here's the economic justice that we need- the Tobin tax. Tax stock transactions at the rate of maybe a half cent per dollar. It's estimated that it would bring in about $350 Billion in tax revenue per year. Everything else bought and sold legally requires a tax. Of course, the rich will fight to their last drop of blood to keep that from happening.

i call it my 9/9/9 plan

Archived