Theremins

turnitto11

• Members

Or you could spend every waking hour learning it. Looks tough, but this is more what the man himself had in mind:

w5qf9O6c20o

Then a virtuoso violinist who had to abandon her first instrument due to bone problems got a second chance and took it to the next level:

pSzTPGlNa5U

(forget that she's getting a tune out of it, listen to how damn subtle she is with it, from vibrato to dynamics!)

• Members

I'd love a theremin. I'd probably never have the wherewithal to learn how to properly play in position, but I'd be lying if I said I don't kind of want to.

Also, getting one without a volume antenna seems like a huge oversight.

• Members

Also, getting one without a volume antenna seems like a huge oversight.

Eh, i don't really care. I could've gotten one made by Sounds Like Burns, but I wasn't interested in spending too much more money. Just wanted an interested noise maker. When I do use the theremin, I frequently use it a lot while playing guitar at the same time, so the volume antenna wouldn't get use much anyway.

• Members

Eh, i don't really care. I could've gotten one made by Sounds Like Burns, but I wasn't interested in spending too much more money. Just wanted an interested noise maker. When I do use the theremin, I frequently use it a lot while playing guitar at the same time, so the volume antenna wouldn't get use much anyway.

Do they make one with CV out? Just wondering.

• Members

Do they make one with CV out? Just wondering.

Moog has the Etherwave Plus which has CV outs for the pitch and volume attenae....you can hook them into anything with a CV input and control it via the Theremin.

I want one very much for this reason....

Also I learned that since the Theremin works by your body acting as the grounded plate of a variable capacitor (correct me if I'm wrong) you can actually get a different sound by making a stronger ground. Usually the Theremin produces something close to a sine wave.....well if you touch a metal shelf or a other person, it turns into something closer to a square wave...you can hear the difference very audibly change.

I want a damn Theremin so bad.

• Members

Inform me of what a CV out is, please

CV stands for control voltage. Basically, if something has a CV OUT, it acts as an expression pedal, but with whatever method that device uses. So with a Theremin, it's your hands relative to the attennas.

So if you had a delay that could use an expression pedal, instead of the pedal controlling the delay time or feedback, your hands playing the Theremin would control those things.

Don't forget the single that really put the Theremin onto the mainstream radio! (albeit a slide Theremin)

[YouTube]CelV7EbuV-A[/YouTube]

• Members

I had been wanting a Theremin for years since seeing someone play one onstage in the 70's. Then a few years ago a friend lent me his Big Briar Theremin to use for a few weeks. It didn't take long till I was cured of my desire for one. It was way more difficult to play than I expected and I didn't feel like taking on the learning curve to get proficient on it.

Archived