Going ampless

RoboPimp

• Members

Anyone else do this?

For smaller gigs, I've recently started using my pedal board direct into the PA

at first I tried just straight direct signal, which of course sounded not so great, dull cleans, fizzy dirt pedals, etc.

So I built an analog cab simulator pedal and I must admit, it's working really well. The clean tones sound nice and chimey and clear, the dirts sound thick and warm, so far I am quite happy with the result. Far better than any digital modeler I've used before as far as how it reacts to dirt pedals and such.

I was stuck so long thinking "TOOB AMPZ ARE A MUST" but I haven't really missed them for these types of shows.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've had to run direct into the board a few times, mostly things for high school band and such. I hated it, sounded terrible. But I've never used any kind of cabinet modeling.

yeah I tried it direct with no sim for one gig and it sucked pretty bad

• Members

yeah, I have tried that too, and you're right a POD or other digital modeler never sounded all that great to me, thats why its ironic that this simple cab sim pedal has produced such superior results (to my ears)

the
condor cab simulator

I added the "marshall/fender" switch which so far has stayed on the marshall setting. heheh

Yeah that runoffgroove stuff is pretty tight. :thu:

• Members

dubious of sound quality / nervous about challenging Robo's tonal decision.

definitely doesn't sound exactly like a tube amp of course, but for the most part I have been using my amps as a clean platform and only occasionally using the dirt channels. So the cab simulator basically shapes the sound to match the frequency response of a speaker, and to me it seems to have a much more "amplike" response than any digital modelers handling my pedals. This wasn't done for the sake of "tone" but mainly to help us control our sound better in some of the smaller places we play.

• Members

I use my Tech 21 VT bass all the time for guitar (and bass of course) if I'm going to practice and I'm too lazy to bring an amp.

I also have it on me at gigs incase my amp goes down.

yeap, good idea. I'll be the first to admit laziness is part of it for me too. heheh.

I built it right into the true-bypass looper pedal I already had on my pedal board and added a switch to activate/defeat it so I can use the board into an amp or straight into the board without changing anything.

• Members

I use a behringer sansamp clone whenever I have an ampless gig. It sounds quite alright but I have to set the gain on 0 and level cranked. Even then it's a little quieter than the bypassed signal. But for the price it's a neat little unit. Robo, do you think that condor speaker sim would be too much for a first diy project. I really like the idea of the Marshall/fender switch

• Members

I can get a small combo, guitar, and pedalboard from my car to the stage in one trip. Carrying a Pod doesn't give any advantage there. I guess if I took the bus to a gig or something, it may be an issue. In CA, a "smaller gig" usually doesn't have a great P.A. anyway. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

• Members

I use a behringer sansamp clone whenever I have an ampless gig. It sounds quite alright but I have to set the gain on 0 and level cranked. Even then it's a little quieter than the bypassed signal. But for the price it's a neat little unit. Robo, do you think that condor speaker sim would be too much for a first diy project. I really like the idea of the Marshall/fender switch

this one seems to have plenty of output, even with the volume and "speaker distortion" (gain) at minimum.

for a first DIY project it might be a challenge but its not anything crazy, the marshall/fender switch isn't spelled out for you tho so that part might be a bit more of a trick.

I used the PCB layout and etched my own board for what its worth

• Members

I can get a small combo, guitar, and pedalboard from my car to the stage in one trip. Carrying a Pod doesn't give any advantage there. I guess if I took the bus to a gig or something, it may be an issue. In CA, a "smaller gig" usually doesn't have a great P.A. anyway. Maybe it's different elsewhere.

yeah this is another solution, and if you're not running the sound then thats just as easy. We haul our own PA/monitor system and its plenty good enough for all the smaller places. Bringing a small amp would mean one more mic, stand, cord and I'm not sure it would even sound any better.

• Members

I've been using my Boss 4 track's Matchless amp model into a 2x12 cab sim into my home stereo to play, and it sounds pretty good to practice. I don't have an amp these days. haven't tried thru a PA, I guess in theory it should sound good, depending on the PA, and the stereo spread would sound cool as wide as a PA's separation would be, and the extra EQ control in the PA would be cool, but I think I'd miss the "get your pants flappin' feel" coming from an amp behind me. But like you said, smaller gigs it would work just fine, this analog cab sim thingy looks interesting.....

• Members

yeap, good idea. I'll be the first to admit laziness is part of it for me too. heheh.

I built it right into the true-bypass looper pedal I already had on my pedal board and added a switch to activate/defeat it so I can use the board into an amp or straight into the board without changing anything.

that my friend. is incredibly smart.

What if you built it into a A/B box and had both the amp and mixer sides plugged in, then if something happens you can instantly switch outputs.

Archived