Is Portland the new Brooklyn?

renula

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was the old 70's-80s era Brooklyn the "New" Brooklyn? My memory of Brooklyn was basically a dump. Run-down buildings littered with graffiti everywhere and the Welcome Back Kotter intro displayed what I view Brooklyn as. Has this changed and if so when?

9qy5LEeFHig

• Members

NYC as a whole started to change in the early '90s away from the 70s & 80's "Escape From The Bronx" scene.

At this point there are still a few areas of Brooklyn that are run down - industrial areas around Atlantic avenue/ BedStuy and Brownsville can still be pretty rough. That said, Bayridge is still Bayridge, though more Mexicans are making Sunset their own (which I think is mostly great - street tamales!). East Flatbush continues to be Caribbean (love me some beef patties) and Brooklyn Chinatown is pretty much exploding around 7th avenue.

The gentrification has really taken hold in Park Slope (outdoor cafes and baby strollers) and DUMBO (mostly young "artists" and professionals). Ridgewood and other areas on the border of Queens are also starting to get this.

What folks seem to be talking about here as "Brooklyn" would seem to be Williamsburg, excluding the large Jewish community. Williamsburg is, in general, more hipsterish every day, as noted above.

• Members

Ah, my mistake is down to watching teevee by download and old info on year end podcast recaps.

The Portland song clip is sooo stellar. May need to watch an ep of Work It first to fully appreciate this season's eps ... like ...

Archived