Guys who use more than 8 pedals AND play out...

• Members

I think you could do fine with your current board and maybe chaining a few of the lower draw ones. Keep an eye out for another BBE too though, I think they are a really good deal for the buck. My only complaint is it doesn't do AC, but I only have two pedals that need that and one hidden power strip doesn't kill me.

You can easily mount or velcro pedals on top of it? I got the idea from NYC pedalboards - I use almost like a mini plywood shelf under which I store power supplies and place pedals on top. It works great for me.

Yeah, that's a good idea, I could totally build a little shelf and bolt it in there. Yeah I mean it's just a big, carpet lined tray... one of those no namers from fleabay. It's solid enough though.a hardware store run might be imminent.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well it's not like that would be a huge hassle, it's just there is always such a rush to setup and tear down. The other bands are always just gawking at me while I'm winding up cables and I do my best to be {censored}ing quick with the tear down. It's just right at that line where every single step matters.

You know, usually a couple friends with just grab drum components and walk them outside where our drummer then disassembles, but it doesn't quite work like that for guitar/pedals/head/cab. Im always the last one still onstage.

No offense, dude, but I try to get all of my crap off of the stage immediately and put it away/coil up cables, etc. offstage, on my own time.

• Members

didnt read the whole thread...

but many times daisy chained pedals will have humming or whining noises...mine did when i had more digital pedals in the chain.

I use the Cioks DC10 to power my pedal board, then my MoogerFoogers all have wall warts into a big power strip. Eventually I'd like to get a power supply for them as well.

• Members

No offense, dude, but I try to get all of my crap off of the stage immediately and put it away/coil up cables, etc. offstage, on my own time.

If things are going to take a while, I just pile that {censored} up and run off stage as fast as possible just to run back and grab my amp.

• Members

Thanks for the responses gentleman. :wave:

Voodoo labs pp2 goes in to one plug... Put the board down and plug in the kettle

Chord...

What is so hard about that dude? {censored} drummers why bring them up?

I do apologize for considering a drummer's actions... heh, forgot the order of things for a moment. :D

• Members

I actually have two one spots, and the 5 and 8 plug cables. I got to where I had all 8 full on one and was getting some serious noise. That and the SMMH is a greedy {censored} when it comes to mA.

I must admit, I'm pretty shocked you guys are running that many on a 1spot without issue... not even noise?

Sounds like a pedal issue more than a power issue. For example, I discovered the other day that I can't put ANYTHING on a daisy chain with my EHX Holy Grail or I get a high pitched whine. On the other hand, I run 8-10 pedals on a 1Spot without problems.

• Members

Sounds like a pedal issue more than a power issue. For example, I discovered the other day that I can't put ANYTHING on a daisy chain with my EHX Holy Grail or I get a high pitched whine. On the other hand, I run 8-10 pedals on a 1Spot without problems.

This. When I had an SMMH, I had to power it separately from everything else. Adding two wall-warts into the equation makes it a little more "fiddly" and time-consuming to break down, but if I wanted to be really efficient about it, I would get a regular household two-prong extension cord (the kind with three outputs on the end, two on one side and one on the other). I would plug the two wall-warts in, one on each side, and duct tape the whole thing together so that it was like one big power cord for both power supplies. Not ideal but it would work. By the time you get up to three wall warts (hypothetically), you're probably better off getting a PP or something else that will be permanently mounted on your board.

All that said, if I were playing a lot of multi-band shows as I once did, I would really, really try to keep my pedalboard tiny, with nothing that couldn't be powered by a single OneSpot.

• Members

-turn around, put amp on standby

-yank cable out of guitar, run over to wherever guitar case is, remove trem bar/strap, place in case

-run back to stage, yank all cables from board, put lid on, latch it

-wind cables (currently 4, but will soon be 3, this step probably takes two full minutes... it's the longest one)

-put cables in bag

-turn amp all the way off, unhook speaker cable and power cable, put in bag

-put lid on head case, latch it, carry offstage

-grab cab, carry offstage

you can turn your amp OFF right away. standby is for warming up your tubes before you turn on the full voltage.

turning it straight off won't change a thing.

the only thing about turning your amp off (standby or not) is that your tubes are HOT, so don't bang your amp around, them hot tubes are more fragile then cool tubes (like a lightbulb). I give my heads an hour to cool down anyways before packing em away.

winding cables - wind them all as one. hold onto one end of each cable as you unplug everything. (including power and speaker cables), and then wind as though it was a snake. it can be done neatly and makes for a quick setup too.

Cab - get wheels on your cab, just roll it off stage. and once it's unplugged someone else can wheel it for you. leaving the head on the cab also helps not having to worry about banging the hot tubes banging about either. your head is better off cooling off out of the case anyways.

Archived