a massive fuzz?

the_woodoo_mule

• Members

I use a black russian big muff into a JCM800 with an SG. I really like it but I may want to try something else as well.

Whatever it would be it has to be massive. I play in a heavy stoner band. Cheap is nice...no botique stuff and has to be replacable.

tone wicker fuzz?

bass big muff?

FZ-2? but is hard to get these days.

I had a meathead clone ordered but unfotunatly the deal fell trhu.

• Members

For me I phooking love the IC Big Muff into my JCM800, nothing sounds bigger, just a massive wall of warm fuzzy goodness :love:

Made by Mike makes a clone > http://www.madebymike.co.uk/icmuff.shtml

Also have the FZ-2 which is pretty huge sounding although a lot trashier compared to the smoothness of a Muff, maybe it would work better live than a Muff though.

The Bass Big Muff is very similar (if not the same) as the Russian Muff IIRC.

• Members

There are a number of SuperFuzz style pedals out there, if you can't find an FZ-2. Maybe look at the Basic Audio Wildcat or smallsound/bigsound Super Puzzle?

I also really enjoyed the Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler when Ryan did a tourbox. I've seen Frazzes go for around $100 sometimes, if that's in your budget.

• Members

sometimes I love seeing what hcfx considers "no boutique stuff"

seriously.

the Behringer Super Fuzz is a great buy.

if your signal is really clean you'll notice a difference in overall tone for sure just by it being in the chain, otherwise i doubt it will make a huge difference. get it rehoused and TB'd and you'll have a great pedal for dirt cheap.

• Members

I just bought a modern EH NYC Muff for the first time, and I'm quite impressed. For $39 at the pawn shop, I'm more than impressed. I'm floored. It has a more refined, vintagey Muff sound than I expected. I thought it was going to sound like cardboard being frozen and shattered.

It will certainly live in peace amongst my clones and Rusky Muffs.

• Members

I'm loving ly BAT LSTR, but since you asked for non-boteek stuff: Another FZ-2 vote. I bought mine not too long ago for about the price of a new Boss pedal. It's a nice and somewhat tweekable fuzz that souns HUGE and filthy, but don't pay $200 for one, just look around and stay away from ebay and it's inflated "buy now" prices:)

• Members

you already have a big muff, which, by the way you're not going to replace a russian muff at any old pawn shop or music store, which leaves very little else for people to recommend and still meet your guidelines. i'm not one to buy $300 fuzz pedals, and i worry about something happening on tour as well. but rather than limit myself to the very few choices i would have with your guidelines, i get decently priced awesome pedals and try to know what my plan would be if i had to replace them in a pinch. i may not be able to get a BAT pedal in any local music shop, but in a pinch i could live with a bass big muff. it's good to know how to get by, but i think it's silly to limit yourself so much before anything has even happened. and your decisions about how you treat your board and what you do to make sure it doesn't get destroyed or stolen can go a long way to make sure that it's very unlikely that anything will happen to it. that being said, i'd recommend looking for a supercollider or a BAT LSTR. both are {censored}ing awesome and huge aren't terribly expensive, considering what you get and how well they'll hold their value.

Archived