My bridge humbucker was too dark so I messed with the screws

Operator

• Members

Interesting, my SG bridge pickup sounds like {censored} most of the time i'm going to have to try this next time i do a re-string.

You don't need to do a restring - just go for it. I actually think it's better to do it on an older set because they've settled in and you're used to the sound of them. The difference should be pretty dramatic if you've got them too high.

I should say there is of course the possibility to that you can have them too far away too - at that point, you can lose output and that's no good so don't go slamming them to the deck thinking you'll get even more sustain out of them. It's a balancing act.

• Members

Interesting, my SG bridge pickup sounds like {censored} most of the time i'm going to have to try this next time i do a re-string.

Me too, with an SG, 490t in it. It does seem like the pickup is too high. I'll try lowering it tomorrow. Needs new strings too.

• Members

awesome tip man! i did it on my jazzmaster and works really well. does it apply on bass too?

Yep.

My homey Kittycaster has an ingenious way of setting Strat pickup heights to perfection - dangle a paper clip on a piece of string over the polepieces at the height of the string. Lower the pickup until you can no longer feel the magnetic pull on the paperclip.

Your guitar will have a lot more sustain and likely sound a lot better overall. I've used this method on a variety of guitars and it seems to work no matter what pickup is used, but it's most noticeable on a Strat.

• Members

awesome tip man! i did it on my jazzmaster and works really well. does it apply on bass too?

It works for all pickups... Each instrument, strings, pickups, amp, and player SYSTEM is different so all the manufacturers' hard set rules 2/32" on the bass side 5/64" on the treble side is rubbish. Every instrument should be treated as if it is completely unique and after time with it, you will learn what fits for "YOU". Use yr ears and feel it!

Howard's paper clip approach helps you feel what the pickup senses depending on how close it is to the strings. It makes sense too. If the string is at the very surface of the magnetic dome, it sounds airier and less bassy. If the string vibrates completely within the magnetic dome it can sound thuddy and not so responsive. The place in the middle is what you want, just like Goldilocks!

• Members

So, let's say I have a hard time getting a good balance between the neck and bridge pickups (p-90's), where the neck is too loud and muddy and the bridge about takes your head off because it's so bright. What would you suggest. I'm going to try the paperclip trick, but should I mess with the individual pole pieces?

• Members

So, let's say I have a hard time getting a good balance between the neck and bridge pickups (p-90's), where the neck is too loud and muddy and the bridge about takes your head off because it's so bright. What would you suggest. I'm going to try the paperclip trick, but should I mess with the individual pole pieces?

On the neck, you'll definitely want to drop it and I'm betting the bridge will want to come up a little bit to fill it out in the mids.

I don't really mess with the poles too much - they are really only there IMO to compensate for individual string volume differences and to add a little sparkle to plain strings or definition to the wound ones. The bulk of the actual tone shaping happens with the overall height of the bobbin(s).

• Members

awesome linput! this technique really saved my jazzmaster SYSTEM!

It works for all pickups... Each instrument, strings, pickups, amp, and player SYSTEM is different so all the manufacturers' hard set rules 2/32" on the bass side 5/64" on the treble side is rubbish. Every instrument should be treated as if it is completely unique and after time with it, you will learn what fits for "YOU". Use yr ears and feel it!

Howard's paper clip approach helps you feel what the pickup senses depending on how close it is to the strings. It makes sense too. If the string is at the very surface of the magnetic dome, it sounds airier and less bassy. If the string vibrates completely within the magnetic dome it can sound thuddy and not so responsive. The place in the middle is what you want, just like Goldilocks!

Archived