Please Recommend Me A Dirt Pedal For Rhythm

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

Backstory:

Our rhythm guitarist's tone needs work. It's because he doesn't have his own cab and probably isn't gonna buy one. He often uses one of those {censored}ty non-English Marshall 412s and it's bad. Good cleans but bad dirt. I don't wanna buy him one so I was thinking a pedal would help provide a more consistent, better tone. I wouldn't mind buying this because I love having extra pedals to mess with and I can always sell it without taking too big a hit. I'd like to not go over 200. Cheap is good. Oh and if it matters, he's pretty much always rhythm and I'm lead, he doesn't have any solos and only has a couple chord based intros.

His Rig;

Jet City 100 head. A good head, but the dirt channel hates those {censored}ty cabs, that and even if he has a good cab, it would sound a little too close to my setup. His guitar is my Xaviere 335 clone w/ the stock fat pat humbuckers.

My Rig

I use a Dirty Bomb clone through the clean channel of a Mesa Stiletto into a Marshall 1936 212. Guitar is a Charvel So Cal w/ the Tone Zone humbucker in the bridge. Sounds kinda Mark III ish, like a really fat ballsy Marshall crunch, but incredibly tight. So the pedal should compliment this well.

Our Musical Style:

Modern punk rock. Some complex riffage, but also some 3 chord jams. The bridges in our songs are either straight solos, a reggae breakdown, or a more metallic type breakdown/bridge with a couple chugga chugga bits.

Other info:

I've got an IC muff on the way, but that might be a little too much, I was thinkin maybe a different kind of muff because his tone should be pretty thick to fill the gaps when I'm doing lead stuff, and scoopy mids are ok. Not sure about all the different muffs though. Kinda thinkin they may be too flubby. :idk:

So, what say you?

• Members

Yeah and the tone was wonderful, but I'm thinkin I want more of the Icelandic speed metal kind of tone, rather than Sweedish death.

Oh yeah, the Monarch... forgot about that one. The bassier thing might be perfect. Another good call.

I'm thinkin it should be just the clean channel and a pedal rather than tryna goose the JCA. You think the OCD would be fat

/gainy enough?

It will work well for both. I wouldn't put a bandaid on the problem though. I'd tell his ass to get a {censored}ing cab.

• Members

Elements could be cool.

I know a cab would solve the problem, but that's a bare minimum of 300 if he's lucky. It's not his playing, and I feel for his brokeness. He works hard but his shop is slow right now. He's been my best buddy since middle school and writes/sings quite well. He's a definite asset, but his gear just sucks. Maybe I'll wait awhile, buy myself a new cab, and let him use mine.

I dunno.

Le sigh.

• Members

I dont get how you can consider a 225 dollar pedal and buying a cab is out of the question.

Well I would only consider The Elements if I got that discount. I wond spend more than 200. That and if I'm buyin it, I wanna enjoy it too, I can have fun with a new pedal. Cabs are kinda boring.

Oh, and a pedal would be easier to sell/trade when/if we don't need it anymore.

Also, it will be tough to find something with at least two high quality speakers for less than 300. Point me towards a 212 w/ celestions for less than 300 and I'll be quite interested.

• Members

So the muff came today. Will do an NPD later. It's pretty sweet, might be too much for this application, but the tone knob has a great sweep, and it actually works alright with the volume knob on the guitar. It just doesn't palm mute, like at all. So we'll see, I asseembled a little pedal kit for him. The muff and my old pitchblack, one spot/chain, and a patch cable. Don't you wish you had a bandmate like me?

Got practice in about an hour. Will report back later.

I haven't used one, but look into a Pork Loin or Green Rhino
:D

Yeah, these pedals have a solid reputation. Might hafta do some clip listening.

• Members

It really sounds like at this point he should save up for a decent cab if the rest of his gear isn't bad. Maybe buy/borrow pedals for the time being -- try boosting the IC Muff with different ODs. Tends to tighten things up and give Muffs more of a distortion-type sound.

Archived