Tim/Timmy Vs. King of Tone

Balthazar Munoz

• Members

Lets get ready to Ruuuumble!

I'be never had a Tim or Timmy( whats the difference?), but I do have a KoT.

Now, the KoT is the best new style OD I've ever had, although I have a lot of Ol'Skool stuff that sounds great also.

So, as far as I can tell, the Tim does about the same thing the KoT does, witches low to medium gain transparent OD.

So let the feathers fly..last pedal left standing wins.

• Members

Timmy is just an OD, Tim is an OD with a boost circuit and effects loop.

I don't have a ton of KoT experience, but I feel like the KoT sounds more like an overdrive pedal, whereas the Timmy/Tim is aimed to just sound more like an overdriven amp if that makes any sense. Neither is better, just different sounds.

Just my thoughts

• Members

Tim has a drive section with a dependent gain boost. KoT is basically 2 stackable drives in one box. Tim doesn't impart a whole lot of itself on your tone, whereas the KoT can shift the EQ focus quite a bit. Both are good in their own way; both have plenty of naysayers; both also have plenty of fans. I prefer the Timmy to both.

• Members

It does and it doesnt..if that makes any sense..but seriously, yeah from what Crxsh said, that seems to sum up what you were saying.

Its difficult to say, because you see that guy using the KoT to just get something "extra " from his old Dlx. Reverb without changing the fundamental sound, so you'd think that its basically the same principle as the Timmy- a transparent drive that adds no coloration, but boosts what the amp..WHERE the amp wants to go naturally..much like you are saying the Tim does. IDK.

• Members

It does and it doesnt..if that makes any sense..but seriously, yeah from what Crxsh said, that seems to sum up what you were saying.

Its difficult to say, because you see that guy using the KoT to just get something "extra " from his old Dlx. Reverb without changing the fundamental sound, so you'd think that its basically the same principle as the Timmy- a transparent drive that adds no coloration, but boosts what the amp..WHERE the amp wants to go naturally..much like you are saying the Tim does. IDK.

Word. For what its worth I've only tried the KoT and don't own one, I would love to but have only been on the waiting list for a few months. The Tim is a little more attainable and cheaper, so I have one.

• Members

The king of tone was just a nice overdrive pedal, like any other, eternity, honey bee, it was a articulate, slight mid boost, robbed a bit of the bass, very loud, and not high gain. With the trimpots n such giving you two of the same great pedals in one its a great choice.

The tim, takes the clean sound you have, and can do what you want, has more gain than the KOT, but high gain timmy stuff gets a bit fizzyish.

Makes it as transparent but dirty (break uup) as you like, and you have done less that 50% of what you could do, and using the tim boost for higher gain really does boost everything using the tone without getting fizzy, just makes it balls out of what you had already.

(the timmy was just one half of the tim without the boost)

I havent taken the Tim off my board since, I gave the Timmy away as i didnt touch it cause the tim was so good and i used the boost, and ended up using the KOT for a bit out of politeness and giving it a go, but in the end the Tim was just killer for those low gain od sounds so i got rid of that too.

VERY HAPPY TIM GUY, and i'm using a Gibson 335 into a Twin amp, love me light fender breakup OD sound etc.... everything else is gimmicky fuzz or clean boosting around it.

• Members

The Tim has become fundamental to my sound since getting it. I leave it on all the time to give me the perfect sound out of my amp (the eq is great) and use the boost to really push it into a nice overdriven sound. I'll have a KOT this week (found one for sale locally) and will prob put it after the Tim. Between these two beauties, that'll give me at least 4 distinct sounds + stacking.

• Members

I'll be on the KOT waiting list for a while yet (I may die before my name comes up), but I recently read that it's 2 modified Bluesbreaker clones. If that's true, I'm not sure I want it, however, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt when the time comes. I recently received my Timmy and it's a fantastic drive-it has become my grab and go pedal. But it doesn't stack as well as I expected, so it's not on my 'board yet. So, I'm sittin' on the fence with this one.

• Members

I have both. They are very different IMO. The King of Tone (even with the High Gain mod) is a very low gain od. Also, the KOT is much darker sounding than the Tim. The Tim has a lot more gain on tap, can get a lot brighter, and with the three different clipping options has a lot of options.

I prefer the KOT because of it's tone, but the Tim is a keeper none-the-less.

• Members

I'll be on the KOT waiting list for a while yet (I may die before my name comes up), but I recently read that it's 2 modified Bluesbreaker clones. If that's true, I'm not sure I want it, however, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt when the time comes.

I built a bluesbreaker clone (on a general guitar gadgets PCB) and it was the best OD I'd ever heard.....so :idk:

• Members

Timmy is just an OD, Tim is an OD with a boost circuit and effects loop.

I don't have a ton of KoT experience, but I feel like the KoT sounds more like an overdrive pedal, whereas the Timmy/Tim is aimed to just sound more like an overdriven amp if that makes any sense. Neither is better, just different sounds.

Just my thoughts

having owned both the tim and the KoT and tried a timmy, this statement is accurate. the KoT has the mid hump that is characteristic of any tubescreamer variant. this particular TS variant just has much more definition and clarity that others lack. and the two channels on it work independently of each other making it more useful as a stand-alone overdrive pedal than the tim if thats what you are going for. now if you wanted to get the timmy and use the KoT as a supplementary drive pedal, that combination would be killer.

• Members

I've had a KoTv4 and a Tim. i really didn't get the Tim appeal. the KoT was really wonderful though I wouldn't hesitate to get another.... neither was worth holding onto for 200$+ though.

i've had both and still own the KoT v.4. im curious as to what you replaced them with.

• Members

I built a bluesbreaker clone (on a general guitar gadgets PCB) and it was the best OD I'd ever heard.....so
:idk:

I owned and gigged with one I bought when they first come out. The made in GB model in a black folded enclosure. It's a good drive, don't get me wrong, but there are many I prefer over it. The Wampler Black '65, Lovepedal AMP50, VFE The Scream, Eternity Burst, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD & the Timmy all come to mind as a preference. But hey, we all like different sounds don't we?

• Members

I owned and gigged with one I bought when they first come out. The made in GB model in a black folded enclosure. It's a good drive, don't get me wrong, but there are many I prefer over it. The Wampler Black '65, Lovepedal AMP50, VFE The Scream, Eternity Burst, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD & the Timmy all come to mind as a preference. But hey, we all like different sounds don't we?

i dont know if you meant to...it could just be the way i read it but that sounded super pretentious.

that said, those are all great pedals.

• Members

i dont know if you meant to...it could just be the way i read it but that sounded super pretentious.

that said, those are all great pedals.

LOL No, I didn't mean to, but I recently tried a friend's old Bluesbreaker and compared to those I listed, it wasn't in the running. But I understand how those pedals are not for everyone. The cheap MXR Badass OD is one of the best drives I've ever heard.

Archived