the newer ampeg guitar amps?

echodeluxe

• Members

we have the confidential dealer list at work from ampeg and i keep seeing stuff about those new ampeg guitar amps. theres some combos and a head. i forgot what cost was but apparently ampeg gives better than cost discounts to employees. the combos look awesome, and the 15 watt one looks perfect. reverb and effects loop.

ive never seen anyone here with one. or any discussion really. whyyyy?

I have not played one yet myself, but the 15W GVT15H does look interesting - I'd love to check one out sometime. I like old Ampegs, and would be interested to hear what their latest models sound like. They kind of have a 70s vibe to the cosmetics - if the sound measures up to that, I would not consider $600 for a new amp to be terribly over-priced. :idk:

• Members

Oh sorry, I was just joking. This dick gymnast is trying to get 600 for his. Asshole.

yeah knowing they were $299 is kind of a deal killer. Still, for $500 thats a lot of amp. made in Korea but from the looks its nicely wired up with good components.

Its like the CS Nocasters GC blew out for $1300 a few years ago, people selling them for $2000 like a year later. derp

• Members

yeah, im really gonna wait it out for a vintage amp.

i had my classic 50 up for 375, but then i realized that im lowballing myself and brought it back up to 450. that way someone can haggle with me a little and i will be happy and he will walk away happy.

not like anyone is gonna email me about it. but whatever id rather wait for a nice vintage ampeg like a gemini. something with the power i want that will sound awesome and be reliable.

and in the mean time, i love my classic 50. i just want something smaller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

BUMP!

I played through one of these yesterday, and I am SOLD!

It's nothing special. You can't get a big drive from it, though cranking the gain and eq settings all the way and turning down the volume made a really awesome crappy almost old solid-state-like distortion.

The perfect EQ for me is difficult to put my finger on with the baxandall, but I only played with it for about 15 minutes and liked almost everything that came out. Almost. Go easy on the treble or you will hate your ears. I imagine that it won't take me long to get the sound I want exact.

It doesn't sound amazing. I don't want something that gives me dah killer Claptana tonez. It's really perfect for what I do.

That said, this is a really polarizing amp, in my opinion. It's either right for you or it isn't. I don't see a lot of versatility or middle ground with this amp. It really is similar to an old obscure vintage amp that people either love or despise.

Really cool, and really something that you should definitely play around with at least once.

Archived