DRRI owners, are you happy?

iamthearm

• Members

so i'm looking for a dedicated amp for my country band and i'm considering one of these as silverface deluxe prices seem to have exploded in the last couple of years. i played a TRRI next to my 68 dual showman and it wasn't even remotely the same amp so i'm curious. what should i expect?

• Members

I had an old silverface, and as you said, the prices exploded and I love my Silvertone Twin-Twelve more. I think I paid $350 at a pawn shop for it and flipped it for $975.

Anyways, the old Silverfaces & Black Faces sound great, probably the best "Clean Amp" IMO. The reissues sound okay, but are nothing special.

• Members

I have a DRRI, and while its probably not the same as an old 70's SF version, its the best amp I've ever played. Too loud for a bedroom apartment amp, but perfect stage amp (for me). You cant hear anything with the volume rolled below 1. One word of caution - if you are looking to dial in a clean base tone (Twin), it might not be the amp for you. Mine starts to break up around 3 on the volume dial, which is just starting to be loud-drummer-volume. If you want something on the verge of breakup at stage volume, or slightly dirty, then I'd say hit it.

• Members

I have one of the first reissues and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I did the bright cap mod because it was just too harsh. No matter what valves I use or how often it's biassed, it still eats valves. The tone is not as good as the Twin RI or the Pro Reverb for that matter and I'd happily trade mine for a Blues Deluxe.

• Members

Comparing the sound of a new DRRI to a 40-plus year old DR is a bit silly due to component drift, speaker age, different tubes and bias points, etc.

I request DRRIs in my rider, and gig with a SFDR when I have to bring my own. My SFDR had a full overhaul and a new speaker installed about a year ago. Honestly, the sound difference between my SFDR before and after the overhaul and speaker change is greater than between it now and any DRRIs I've had backlined.

• Members

I have a love hate relationship with mine as well... Its a great sounding amp but certainly needs the bright cap mod done to it. When i first got it i was noticing all sorts of little weird sounds and what not coming from the amp but they have all sorted themselves out in time. They need some time to break in for sure. My biggest issue right now is volume. Some shows that i play it seems way too loud and some shows i can't hear it at all. I'm not sure if it is just having the 1 speaker and the stage placement, but it seems to always be a gamble and i cant figure it out :/

but yeah it sounds great, no real complaints other than that!

• Members

A competent amp, but didn't really have a lot of character for me. I'd intended to pick one up since the size and wattage seemed to make it versatile, but wasn't knocked out by the tone. I plugged into a 59 Bassman RI for kicks, and when I went back to the DRRI I was back to the Bassman in 2-3 minutes.

• Members

A competent amp, but didn't really have a lot of character for me. I'd intended to pick one up since the size and wattage seemed to make it versatile, but wasn't knocked out by the tone. I plugged into a 59 Bassman RI for kicks, and when I went back to the DRRI I was back to the Bassman in 2-3 minutes.

That sums it up for me...competent. I'm going back to the AC15H1TV lately now that I've clipped its bright cap.

• Members

That sums it up for me...competent. I'm going back to the AC15H1TV lately now that I've clipped its bright cap.

I have never owned a DRRI, but I have owned a few Deluxe Reverbs over the years. GREAT amps IMHO. One of the best amps ever made. The RI isn't as nice, but it's not horrible either. For a country band, they can work very well. Pete Anderson (Dwight Yoakam) used to gig with a pair of BF Deluxe Reverbs. Aspen Pittman used to recommend using a Deluxe as the lead amp and a Super Reverb for rhythm / cleans, and IMHO, the pair is nearly ideal when used together like that.

• Members

How about a Pro Reverb? That would be ideal IMHO. Twins are nearly ideal for Country, but you'll rarely get to open the amp up unless you're playing large venues.

yeah that's been the problem with my current set up. i'm running a 68 dual showman reverb with 2 tubes pulled through a 2x12 and i still can't even start to open her up at regular gigs. pro reverb.... interesting idea.

• Members

How about a Pro Reverb? That would be ideal IMHO. Twins are nearly ideal for Country, but you'll rarely get to open the amp up unless you're playing large venues.

For me it came down to either a Pro or Bassman, I went with the '68 Bassman but the Pro was so close, I honestly just didn't want another combo at the time and I didn't need on board verb (which is crazy considering how much I love Fender Reverb) but the Pro is an awesome amp. If I ever do get another it will be a Vibrolux though. The oxblood/tan DRRI's they came out with look pretty nice though, and I personally think the DRRI sound a little better than the Twin reissues.

• Members
I have a DRRI, and while its probably not the same as an old 70's SF version, its the best amp I've ever played. Too loud for a bedroom apartment amp, but perfect stage amp (for me).
You cant hear anything with the volume rolled below 1.
One word of caution - if you are looking to dial in a clean base tone (Twin), it might not be the amp for you. Mine starts to break up around 3 on the volume dial, which is just starting to be loud-drummer-volume. If you want something on the verge of breakup at stage volume, or slightly dirty, then I'd say hit it.

funny-pictures-captain-obvious-cat.jpg

Archived