Yamaha THR 10 review

RoboPimp

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, the knob seems control feedback/level simultaneously so as you turn it up the repeats get louder and repeat longer, then the tap tempo button sets the time

think you even can finetune the delay (or any effect for that matter) with the software

• Members

I just got mine. Color me impressed so far. I was surprised by how small and light it actually is.
The stereo spread sounds awesome. Yamaha obviously used their home audio know-how in designing the speaker system.
And despite their small size, the speakers put out decent bass.
The guitar tones really do sound like the recorded guitar tones of my favorite records.
I plugged my mp3 player in and played along with some of my favorite tunes, and it sat in the mix almost like it was part of the original recordings!
The volume level does change drastically when you change amp models, so you have to re-tweak every time you select a different model.
Way to go Yamaha! :love:

• Members

So this is a combo amp then, like the Fender Mustang series? But uses more home audio technology, versus the 12" Celestion speaker in my Mustang III? One of the things I like about the Fender a lot is that it sounds good, very good low end, ease of use, loud too, but also very usable for home. And also $300.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Anyone compare the sound to software amp sims like Amplitube or Guitar Rig? I'm also curious if actually micing this thing will make it sound "more real" then a pure software solution.

Still wondering if this beats a laptop and headphones, or even an iphone with iRig? Also, with Eleven Racks going for $500 on ebay, I wonder if thats a better buy?

• Members

I played the thr5 and 10 at the store and I use amplitube and guitar rig at home. amplified, getting guitar rig/amplitube to beat the yamahas will depend on your monitor of course. i didn't a/b them of course but i feel like they sounded about as good as the thr5 and 10. on the other hand you're going to get a lot more versatility out of grig/amplitube. one other thing to note the thr10 is a lot more versatile due to the 3 band eq vs. the tone knob - it makes quite a difference.

• Members

I use the THR10 a lot to record ideas because it slims out CPU/RAM usage while you build up a track having 0 latency. I then use the second track (DI recorded) to "reamp" via LePou and mix both tracks together. Again, try LePou!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So can I feed this thing my dirt pedals? I wonder, with the monitor style speaker system , if running a distortion/fuzz into it would blow the speakers or input line. I just want to be able to has my effect pedals before dirt but no effects loop=impossible. So I would assume running my dirt/fuzz into the clean or overdrive channel would solve that, or make the amp melt. Opinions?

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have one of these. Sensational little thing. Really truly awesome. I bought the 5 originally, but went back to the shop and traded up, as I was so impressed.

Some of my observations; the mods and delays can be overwhelming- a soupcon is just enough! I echo the thoughts about the clean- it's finger pickin good. The leads are convincing too.

10 scores heavily over the 5 as it has more tonal options and other features, plus better headroom.

The portability factor is amazing....you need that, a lead and a guitar. Lap top and you're in heaven. So good if you travel a lot. Mine's already been to Berlin, Toulouse and about to go to Barcelona!

I also heard, as someone else mentioned, that it was basically more hifi based than amp based, as far as the thinking and technology goes.

Really superb.

• Members

So can I feed this thing my dirt pedals? I wonder, with the monitor style speaker system , if running a distortion/fuzz into it would blow the speakers or input line. I just want to be able to has my effect pedals before dirt but no effects loop=impossible. So I would assume running my dirt/fuzz into the clean or overdrive channel would solve that, or make the amp melt. Opinions?

I ran a full Cornish pedal board into the thing and set it clean and neutral. Not too bad, the THR struggled a tad with the power of the signal, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the amp on its own.

Archived