The Yamaha Magic Stomp is freakin' awesome

OMTerria

• Members

I noticed online that the Guitar Center near me had one in stock, so I immediately went over to try it out since I've been curious about these for a really long time. One thing worth noting is that they look a lot more like old junk in person, but that's not really a big deal to me. But anyway, I was really impressed with some of the stuff in there. I didn't mess with the drives too much, but the mods, verbs, and delays (and surprisingly, the compressor) were a good bit nicer than I was expecting. It struck me as being pretty ahead of its time, there are some seriously wacked out sounds to be had and some of the effects actually come close to some of the more unique functions of pedals like the Rainbow Machine and SMMH. A lot of pedal for $145. On the whole it sounded better to me than the M5/9/13 effects too :eek:

I know I've seen people rock them here before, who still is? What do you like using it for?

• Members

Yamaha have always done good effects. The SPX rack units, the older Japanese pedals, the Magicstomp, the DG amps with the motorised faders... from what I've read, some of the SPX effects ended up in the Magicstomp. Some of the drives are surprisingly good too in there. I might have to get around to buying one of those new amps that Robo was enthusing about to see what they're like.

• Members

I agree, yamaha has always made quality stuff and IMO it wouldn't be hard to beat the line 6 stuff in terms of sound quality.

I liked some of the stuff on the M13 and the other two members of my band use it well, but I'm not a huge fan myself. I just thought it was kinda funny something from over ten years ago sounded better to me than the newer, more "in" pedal.

• Members

I noticed online that the Guitar Center near me had one in stock, so I immediately went over to try it out since I've been curious about these for a really long time. One thing worth noting is that they look a lot more like old junk in person, but that's not really a big deal to me. But anyway, I was really impressed with some of the stuff in there. I didn't mess with the drives too much, but the mods, verbs, and delays (and surprisingly, the compressor) were a good bit nicer than I was expecting. It struck me as being pretty ahead of its time, there are some seriously wacked out sounds to be had and some of the effects actually come close to some of the more unique functions of pedals like the Rainbow Machine and SMMH. A lot of pedal for $145. On the whole it sounded better to me than the M5/9/13 effects too
:eek:

I know I've seen people rock them here before, who still is? What do you like using it for?

Yeah, I've been singing their praises here for awhile. I've had one for about 4 years. Love it. I mainly use it for reverb. I've got all sorts of patches for reverse and gated stuff. I use those all the time for MBV type of sounds. Every now and then, I'll mess around with a tape delay setting or stacking the symphonic and the reverb effects for really super ambient sound. I'll occasionally use the weird pitch shifting delay stuff, like the SparkleMod patch, but just for special effects or cheesy weird sounds. I've heard that the compressor is pretty good, keep meaning to check that out. I don't use the dirt much, but I like to play around with it every now and then. Some of the fuzz patches are pretty decent and the "battery amp" patch can be lo fi fun.

• Members

:snax:

are these still made?

No, but if you find one used, buy it!

I have three-one on my acoustic pedalboard for EQ and reverb

One on my electric pedalboard for reverb, trem, vibrato etc

One for a backup and to use amp models for amp less gigs

Look for free patches online. I found a place with shadows echo sounds that are really cool.

The only thing I haven't been able to get a good sound out of is the envelope filter. Some of the fuzz is pretty cool, though.

• Members

I miss mine so much!

fantastic pedal. The dirt patches are great for digital, but the delays and verbs are where it shines. The bypass is so bad I couldn't keep it on my board though.

I would pay many dollars for a rehoused one with true bypass.

• Members

Have had one for a few years and the other day discovered some tones with the 8 Band Delay I hadn't been able to get before. Very nice motion of the modulation in the stereo field in a way that I hadn't previously experienced.

I use this thing by itself all the time at night with headphones on and it's great.

If you do enough tweaking the amp models can actually sound pretty good. So good, I've even debated tracking down a DG stomp from which some of them are based.

• Members

yeah ive wanted to try one for a while. i heard the delays and reverbs on those are really great. if they do a good spring id be in!

I'm not a fan of their Spring setting actually. There's a bit of a volume drop and it just lacks something. Now that's not to say that you can't "manufacture" one yourself using some of the other effects - there are multiple variants of delays and verb and delays.

• Members

The bypass is terrible, but just put it in a loop. Solves some of the volume inequalities, too..

That's unfortunate. It seemed alright to me, but I couldn't really tell too well due to the background Guitar Center noises. But yeah, a loop solves that problem pretty easily.

• Members

I wouldn't say the bypass is terrible or even bad, but it does color your tone a bit. No tone suck (if you have it set correctly), just a little added brightness. I've A/Bed it using a true bypass looper and the change in tone in bypass is noticeable, but it's not something that ever really bothered me.

Archived