Absolutely breathtaking.

amarr1

lol 5 grand

Yeah, it's a lot of money... I totally understand that. But realistically, how much do you suppose the typical journeyman mechanic spends on his tools? How about a cabinetmaker? Other craftspeople spend considerable money on the tools they use in their day to day work in order to get the high-quality tools that they want and need in order to do their jobs, and people rarely bat an eye. I really don't think we're all that different in that respect. Certainly for someone like Bill, who uses the thing a lot as part of his work, $5k for an instrument isn't all that unreasonable.

Of course, if you can do it cheaper and still love the tools you use - even better.

The folks I really feel sorry for are the classical musicians. Priced an early 18th century Stradivarius violin or cello lately? Makes a '59 Les Paul look like it came from a bargain bin at Woolworth's by comparison...

• Members

I agree he is a master player...but!

Not for me. He is at the top of his game but I find it very boring and somewhat self indulgent. It's that thing where a bunch of white people sit, and listen. No toe tapping, just sit really still and listen. Nobody movin' or groovin'.

Well, I'm a white person (I didn't want to tell you guys that, but there it is - I'm about one-eighth Native-American Indian too, if that helps ;) ) who sits and listens to music quietly - a lot. And not just when I'm working. I do tend to have occasional times when I sway, nod, tap my feet and hands, etc. Sorry, but it's hard to stay totally still when something moves you. At least it is for me. YMMV. But I don't have a problem with people sitting quietly and actually listening to live music being played. I actually rather like and appreciate that. It's not the right approach in every situation, but it can be very cool to have people actually paying attention to what you're playing as opposed to concentrating on talking, laughing, drinking, dancing and trying to hook up.

• Members

Not for me. He is at the top of his game but I find it very boring and somewhat self indulgent. It's that thing where a bunch of white people sit, and listen. No toe tapping, just sit really still and listen. Nobody movin' or groovin'.

I think a lot of people, especially "white" people, tend to over move or groove falsely. Some people think they have to move around. Sometimes at a show it just hits you. Other times, even though I'm standing, I'm basically still cause the musics hitting me, and I'm grooving with it, but its not physical movements.

• Members

Well, I'm a white person (I didn't want to tell you guys that, but there it is - I'm about one-eighth Native-American Indian too, if that helps
;)
) who sits and listens to music quietly - a lot. And not just when I'm working. I do tend to have occasional times when I sway, nod, tap my feet and hands, etc. Sorry, but it's hard to stay
totally
still when something moves you. At least it is for me. YMMV. But I don't have a problem with people sitting quietly and actually listening to live music being played. I actually rather like and appreciate that. It's not the right approach in every situation, but it can be very cool to have people actually paying attention to what you're playing as opposed to concentrating on talking, laughing, drinking, dancing and trying to hook up.

If I'm really blown away by the music I show appreciation by shedding a tear or two. It gives my wife something to tease me about. :)

• Members

Not for me. He is at the top of his game but I find it very boring and somewhat self indulgent. It's that thing where a bunch of
white people
sit, and listen. No toe tapping, just sit really still and listen. Nobody movin' or groovin'.

Gooby pls.

• Members

I don't know. I see sitting quietly and listening as a sign of respect for the music. Just as toe-tapping or dancing is a sign of respect for music that's about that sort of thing.

Archived