Top 10 Pre-90s Bands In Terms of Success.

• Members

Success? How about influence? Sure, the Beatles and Stones had a lot of success and a lot of influence... but if you reach beyond them 20 years, who had a broader influence than Joy Division? Jeez, half of everything "modern" came from there. Well maybe not half, but they spawned just a ____load of top shelf bands and music.

• Members

Interesting... look what I just found:

The most interesting thing about this list for me is that this is mostly music that us old folks listen to, not the teenage demographic with all that supposed dispensible income.

Lesson to all the young guns: if you want to make it rich as a rock star, then write songs that appeal to the older generations :poke:

• Members
Success? How about influence? Sure, the Beatles and Stones had a lot of success and a lot of influence... but if you reach beyond them 20 years, who had a broader influence than Joy Division? Jeez, half of everything "modern" came from there. Well maybe not half, but they spawned just a ____load of top shelf bands and music.

:facepalm:

Influence is cumulative - Joy Division didn't spring immaculate into the world, they were the sum of their influences... Influences like Bowie, Iggy and hence the Beatles, Stones etc

• Members

The most interesting thing about this list for me is that this is mostly music that us
old
folks listen to, not the teenage demographic with all that
supposed
dispensible income.

By being solely based on sales figures, it also omits bands like the Grateful Dead, who surely must be considered as having been financially successful from their ability to continually tour & fill huge venues?

• Members

By being solely based on sales figures, it also omits bands like the Grateful Dead, who surely must be considered as having been financially successful from their ability to continually tour & fill huge venues?

.... only in the States though, I couldn't even name one of their songs... and I don't know a single person that likes them or even owns an album by them.

I think successful has to mean international success in this case.

• Members

The Dead were unique in the fact that their best music was primarily to be found on bootleg tapes rather than on their studio records. I saw the Dead when I was 14 (first time experiencing the lysergic :thu: ). But didn't really understand how to listen to them until I was 30 and had a Deadhead girlfriend with a lot of tapes. The Dead were probably the most successful rock band based upon their concerts rather than records.

• Members

.... only in the States though, I couldn't even name one of their songs... and I don't know a single person that likes them or even owns an album by them.

You've never heard Casey Jones?!

• Members

You've got to include the Dead on any top ten list like that. They basically built the Jam-band scene by themselves. You could argue that they were the basis for an entire counterculture up until Jerry's death.

I'd say, if you count only groups, not solo artists like Elvis, Bob Dylan or Sinatra, or bands named for the frontman (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, BS and the E Street Band, etc); basing on work done pre-1990, so not counting U2's chart-toppers post 1990 and their top-ranking tours, for example; and using the ethic of a combination/averaging of Sales, Touring Gross, Cultural Relevance and Musical Impact

1 - Beatles

2 - Pink Floyd

3 - Rolling Stones

4 - Led Zepplin

5 - Black Sabbath

6 - The Ramones

7 - Grateful Dead

8 - Metallica

9 - Fleetwood Mac

10 - The Eagles

I don't even like most of these bands, but when you're a on the list of top album sales and tour gross, you've got to hand it to them, they're 'successful.'

• Members

No, I think playing before probably more people than any other band in history qualifies as success no matter where you set the bar.

Archived