Thinking of putting new strings on my guitar...

goodhonk

• Members

the ones you like the most.

i usually panic when the clerk asks me which ones, and instinctively point and say, " "uhh, the ernie ball slinkys, uhm, yellowish one".

haven't tried much else. would like to try the best next time.

• Members

I've played Regular Slinky's forever, but I'm putting a set of those new EB Cobalt's on my ASAT tonight. I'll let you know what I think.

FWIW, I use D'Addario 11's (w/ a wound 3rd) on my other tele though. Those are pretty good.

• Members

i usually panic when the clerk asks me which ones, and instinctively point and say, " "uhh, the ernie ball slinkys, uhm, yellowish one".

haven't tried much else. would like to try the best next time.

... if you insist, the best are Rotosounds, they don't snap, they sound good, they don't have stupid coloured ball ends and they are made in the UK. what more do you want?

• Members

yup, cobalt coated ernie balls are the shiz. last easily twice as long as the regular 'uns. louder, more snappy, tons of sparkle, a remarkable amount of girth, and feel like little shiny jesuses to my fingers.

no offense, but don't you smoke?

• Members

Rotosounds 11-54's, silver packet.

my favorite for using in Teles so far.

A long time ago I tried rotosounds.

Do they still do the windings so that there is naked core before they start ?

Ask for the D'Addario XL 9's or 10's depending on your hand strength.

• Members

never heard of rotosounds. i'll have to ask the clerk next time and look at him impatiently while he scans the wall.

the 10's are yellow too, so you can ask for rotoyellows and seem cool... to be honest though I'd doubt they'd seem any different to the ernies, they are just regular nickel wounds the same as the ernies you use now. If you want something that sounds or feels radically different you need to go for a different metal, 'steels' for example or some coated bull{censored}. ;)

I don't like coated strings. Elixirs are like your strings are wearing stockings.

I don't really mind the nanowebs that much, but even the regular ones beat having an equally thick layer of rust and corrosion on the strings, so for me, it's a trade-off that I'm willing to make. YMMV.

• Members

actually you could try some Rotosound 'pure nickels' http://www.rotosound.com/pure_nickels.php .. 'PN10' in a blue packet, they would sound different to what you use now, only you can judge if they are 'better'

or there's http://www.rotosound.com/british_steels.php

which will sound different again.

whichever, Roto's are as good as anything imo and (over here at least anyway) they are a bit cheaper than USA made strings.

Archived