TC Electronics- Never Again

Player99

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a polytune. If it dies, I won't repai it. I'll order a new one and send them back the broken one. When companies do stupid {censored} like this, I see no reason to play fair with them. The vendors send them back for credit and get new units. I have rarely had to do this, but, if something rather expensive just dies on you, and they want 80% of the replacement cost to fixit, ef them.

• Members

It sounds to me that somebody is having a hard time coming to grips with modern manufacturing processes.

They likely don't have switches because they literally do not have them; the switches are at the manufacturing facility, where they are picked, placed, and wired to the board by machines in a clean room, not pulled from a pile of parts by 5 guys running the business themselves.

Second, way to over react; OMG, a switch failed on one pedal I own... NOBODY EVAR BUY TC AGINS, WURST COMPANY EVAR.

I've had switches on Ibanez and Boss pedals fail on me. You know what happened? Same thing. They did not say 'Sure, ship it to us on our dime, and we'll replace the switch for free', which is what I feel like you want to happen.

The bend-over backwards community of builders here on this forum is not the norm, and we a seriously spoiled by them. I just think that holding a company that machine-manufactures hundred of thousands of pedals in the same time that a dude builds 25 pedals in his kitchen.

• Members

I am leaning towards the Turbo Tuner... except it apparently does not work well outdoors in the daylight.

I was worried about that when i got it, but it's fine. Someone said it somewhere on the internet but i haven't found it to be true. Not that i play outdoors a lot, but you can see it anywhere pretty much just as well as any other tuner.

• Members

It sounds to me that somebody is having a hard time coming to grips with modern manufacturing processes.

They likely don't have switches because they literally do not have them; the switches are at the manufacturing facility, where they are picked, placed, and wired to the board by machines in a clean room, not pulled from a pile of parts by 5 guys running the business themselves.

Second, way to over react; OMG, a switch failed on one pedal I own... NOBODY EVAR BUY TC AGINS, WURST COMPANY EVAR.

I've had switches on Ibanez and Boss pedals fail on me. You know what happened? Same thing. They did not say 'Sure, ship it to us on our dime, and we'll replace the switch for free', which is what I feel like you want to happen.

The bend-over backwards community of builders here on this forum is not the norm, and we a seriously spoiled by them. I just think that holding a company that machine-manufactures hundred of thousands of pedals in the same time that a dude builds 25 pedals in his kitchen.

Blah blah blah. Why are you licking corporate crack? You are pathetic. Lay down and take whatever they feed you. Then say how much you agree with them.

• Members

Don't go through them. Just buy a better switch and rewire it yourself or have a local guitar store do it.

Would take all of 5-10mins.

I have switches. Can't. It is right on the board and there is no room for a different switch.

• Members

Stupid question: Why is everyone going on about the TU-2 when the TU-3 has been out for so long? Are there problems with the TU-3? I thought it was supposed to be more accurate.

I have a TU3, but I think most people still have a TU2 because they don't die. It's also the best-selling pedal of all time.

• Members

Blah blah blah. Why are you licking corporate crack? You are pathetic. Lay down and take whatever they feed you. Then say how much you agree with them.

Hey, you have the right to not like or buy anything from TC ever again.

You just come off a little imbalanced when you start posting hate speech 3-6 posts a page and demanding nobody else buy anything from then, when just about everyone in the thread has said 'Sorry that happened; I've never had an issue myself'.

• Members

The only reason why the boutique community bend over backwards to help their customers out is because they have fewer cases to deal with and therefore can offered to offer the extended services. That is why I generally buy from these smaller builders. You do sacrifice certain things, but in the end I prefer the piece of mind.

I had a problem with my recently purchased Subdecay Starlight flanger, so I called them up and fixed it myself with Brian's help (it was just a matter of turning the CV pot inside down). Would Brian have answered the phone and helped out if this was happening regularly? No, he would be in his office signing papers and handing out paychecks to his 50+ staff members. The more you sell, the more {censored} ups will be made, but it doesn't mean the company should be boycotted.

• Members

That wasn't necessary at all. Not everyone is a commie trying to steal our precious bodily fluids.

The only reason why the boutique community bend over backwards to help their customers out is because they have fewer cases to deal with and therefore can offered to offer the extended services. That is why I generally buy from these smaller builders. You do sacrifice certain things, but in the end I prefer the piece of mind.

I had a problem with my recently purchased Subdecay Starlight flanger, so I called them up and fixed it myself with Brian's help (it was just a matter of turning the CV pot inside down). Would Brian have answered the phone and helped out if this was happening regularly? No, he would be in his office signing papers and handing out paychecks to his 50+ staff members. The more you sell, the more {censored} ups will be made, but it doesn't mean the company should be boycotted.

Just don't design and build pedals so the switch cannot be replaced. Simple. By not doing that TC has made it so replacing the switch is impossible. Replacing the switch must include replacing the whole interior of the pedal. Whether you are a lone pedal maker or have 500 employees you don't need to make it so the whole interior needs to be replaced to change out a switch. Switches fail. Not allowing for this is just piss poor product design.

• Members

Just don't design and build pedals so the switch cannot be replaced. Simple. By not doing that TC has made it so replacing the switch is impossible. Replacing the switch must include replacing the whole interior of the pedal. Whether you are a lone pedal maker or have 500 employees you don't need to make it so the whole interior needs to be replaced to change out a switch. Switches fail. Not allowing for this is just piss poor product design.

There could have been a valid reason for building it like they did, just as there is a valid reason to build a neck that cannot be replaced on a guitar.

• Members
TU12.jpg

i've had one of these for literally 20 years. {censored}ing beer spilled on it, stomped at metal shows, still going. i think i paid like 40 bucks. true bypass? nope, but i'm ok with it.

+1

Had one since 1984... Ashamed to say that I stole it from Johnny Marr's board :facepalm: - had his name on it in sticky metal letters
It's been through all kinds of {censored} since then, has only ever needed a resolder of the input jack a few years ago - now it sits in a loop on my board and works 100%

• Members

There could have been a valid reason for building it like they did, just as there is a valid reason to build a neck that cannot be replaced on a guitar.

And if my mother was a giraffe my neck would be longer.

• Members

And if my mother was a giraffe my neck would be longer.

Maybe you would be a deformed giraffe with an extra long tongue instead. You'd be on the floor as tall as a ten year-old kid, licking the fruit and leaves off the trees with your enormous tongue. Or maybe you should remember that everyone screws up. It doesn't mean TC Electronic are a crap company or not worth your money in the eyes of others. I know you'll denounce that, saying you didn't make this thread in the hopes of persuading others to boycott TC Electronics, but I get the impression you do want that.

I mean, think about it this way: how many times have you heard the statement "I will never buy a Sony Ericsson product again"? Probably dozens. But have you also heard the statement "I will never buy Apple again"? Probably even more. And have you heard someone angrily say "I will never buy anything made by Samsung again"? Most likely quite a few times. Yet are these companies still making millions of people happy? Yes, but with that comes a constant stream of negativity that is often misplaced.

My point is, your experience is not an epidemic. You are one unhappy customer in a hundred happy customers. So what makes your opinion and experience any more important than those with positive comments and critiques of TC Electronic? I'm not personally a user of their gear, but I could name a dozen people I know personally who use them happily and have done so for years. Being pissed off is one thing, but trying to persuade others that they should also be pissed off based on your experience alone is just not something I can understand.

Archived