Read the Rules or Get Banned- Is this heavy handedness what we want?

LSDis4me

• Members

Phil did that for a good reason if I remember correctly.

And it does keep the spam thread pretty dense and straight-up, which I appreciate.

I do agree though, the wording sounds a bit harsh, but at one point, I think the issue got to be a bit much.

And I never understood why peeps post "in" in a spam thread.

Phil keeps the trains running on time.

Why not just call it "The Spam Thread"

RtRoGB is pretty fascist.

Phil, yer on the hot seat.

Fair enough. :) You guys have always been able to put me on the hot seat whenever you think I should be called out on something that you want to discuss with me. :)

I know the all caps is a bit rude, but it was placed up there like that to prevent anyone from saying "I didn't know what the rules were." Yes, we had a few cases of that - mainly back when we set up the spam threads.

The Powers That Be do not want unregulated spam on HC. I went to bat for the forum and brought up the fact that there had always been spam here - members want the ability to buy and sell from the people they "know." As a direct result of that, we came up with the spam threads and rules - which, I might add, were done with considerable input and voting by the forum members.

While I might be willing to consider taking that line out of the main spam thread header, I'm not really interested in reconsidering the entire spam thread concept or rules at this time.

• Members

generally - maybe I don't pay enough attention, the rules don't seem to get broken too much in the spam thread? Its usually the case I that I see people posting separate spam threads selling gear...

generally - maybe I don't pay enough attention, the rules don't seem to get broken too much in the spam thread? Its usually the case I that I see people posting separate spam threads selling gear...

When a separate thread gets posted, I usually just post a polite reminder about the spam thread and then close it. If I saw the same person repeatedly ignoring the anti-spam rules and starting a separate thread, I'd probably issue a warning, then a temp ban. That rarely happens. People are generally helpful and hit the report this post button when they see spammers, which helps me get to them faster. The spam thread rules are as clear and as visible as I can make them, and again, people usually let me know when someone violates them... and I'm usually going to give someone at least a 3 day temp ban for breaking them since there's really no excuse. However, mistakes occasionally happen, and I'm also willing to stretch the rules and let people post twice if there's a good reason for it - too many pics for a single post or whatever - just as long as they ask me and get it cleared first.

I really don't think the rules or setup here for spam are all that unreasonable. :idk:

• Members

FWIW I'm with Phil 100% on this, it used to be "bump" re-post city in the old spam threads. I use 'em maybe once every year or two :lol: but I still prefer it this way, you get your post and people browsing the thread know they're not having to crawl through a bunch of the same stuff to seek anything new.

If it's the wording people take issue with, (do people take issue with it? seems most people are fine with it, actually?) I guess it could be safely toned down to something like "respect the rules of the thread, or temp ban" but seriously what does that really accomplish that the current language doesn't? If the policy isn't changing - and in my opinion, it definitely shouldn't - then why back off on the wording, it gets the point across :p

• Members

When a separate thread gets posted, I usually just post a polite reminder about the spam thread and then close it. If I saw the same person repeatedly ignoring the anti-spam rules and starting a separate thread, I'd probably issue a warning, then a temp ban. That rarely happens. People are generally helpful and hit the report this post button when they see spammers, which helps me get to them faster. The spam thread rules are as clear and as visible as I can make them, and again, people usually let me know when someone violates them... and I'm usually going to give someone at least a 3 day temp ban for breaking them since there's really no excuse. However, mistakes occasionally happen, and I'm also willing to stretch the rules and let people post twice if there's a good reason for it - too many pics for a single post or whatever - just as long as they ask me and get it cleared first.

I really don't think the rules or setup here for spam are all that unreasonable.
:idk:

Agreed.

• Members

Fair enough.
:)
You guys have always been able to put me on the hot seat whenever you think I should be called out on something that you want to discuss with me.
:)

I know the all caps is a bit rude, but it was placed up there like that to prevent anyone from saying "I didn't know what the rules were." Yes, we had a few cases of that - mainly back when we set up the spam threads.

The Powers That Be do not want unregulated spam on HC. I went to bat for the forum and brought up the fact that there had always been spam here - members want the ability to buy and sell from the people they "know." As a direct result of that, we came up with the spam threads and rules - which, I might add, were done with considerable input and voting by the forum members.

While I might be willing to consider taking that line out of the main spam thread header, I'm not really interested in reconsidering the entire spam thread concept or rules at this time.

Apparently when I drink too many Lemon Drops I find fault with irrelevant issues on the internets.

Archived