Just taught myself to solder...

• Members

Kinda CSB, but it's a very useful skill for a guitarist to have. It can save you a fortune on minor repairs and maintenance and pedal modding / building can be fulfilling, addictive, and in some cases profitable :thu:

Feel like taking it to the next level? How about a fuzzface clone kit? BYOC stuff is great if you have little or no electronics knowledge- I'm assuming you don't if you're only just learning to solder. The DIY thread might be an inspiration, but whenever I look at it I'm just reminded of how utterly clueless about electronics I am :cry:

• Members

Kinda CSB, but it's a very useful skill for a guitarist to have. It can save you a fortune on minor repairs and maintenance and pedal modding / building can be fulfilling, addictive, and in some cases profitable
:thu:

Feel like taking it to the next level? How about a fuzzface clone kit? BYOC stuff is great if you have little or no electronics knowledge- I'm assuming you don't if you're only just learning to solder. The DIY thread might be an inspiration, but whenever I look at it I'm just reminded of how utterly clueless about electronics I am
:cry:

Yeah I fancy having a go at BYOC, not really a fuzz guy but might try one of their other kits

• Members

I need to haz teh soldering skillz too.I bought a cheap soldering iron upon the recommendation of sales person in Maplin.

$(KGrHqZ,!mIE9JPfnLlLBPnZoWLFig~~60_35.J

Upon consulting the internet for novice pointers to the noble art of wielding the iron the first advise I read was don't buy a cheap iron . :facepalm:

• Members

I need to haz teh soldering skillz too.I bought a cheap soldering iron upon the recommendation of sales person in Maplin.

$(KGrHqZ,!mIE9JPfnLlLBPnZoWLFig~~60_35.J

Upon consulting the internet for novice pointers to the noble art of wielding the iron the first advise I read was don't buy a cheap iron .
:facepalm:

That iron is fine other than the not terribly rapid warm up. Built many amps with one. Using a chisel tip of course.

• Members

Yeah I fancy having a go at BYOC, not really a fuzz guy but might try one of their other kits

Do it. As a rule of thumb, fewer parts and fewer knobs make for an easier build, so anything that fits that description would be a good place to start. The BYOC website lists several kits in their beginners' offer- you'll have to order from the UK distributor so you won't be able to get the offer but it gives you an idea of which kits might be suitable.

• Members

Do it. As a rule of thumb, fewer parts and fewer knobs make for an easier build, so anything that fits that description would be a good place to start. The BYOC website lists several kits in their beginners' offer- you'll have to order from the UK distributor so you won't be able to get the offer but it gives you an idea of which kits might be suitable.

Great thanks for the tip!

• Members

That iron is fine other than the not terribly rapid warm up. Built many amps with one. Using a chisel tip of course.

So it's still going strong for you? I haven't used mine yet. Every site I've read about soldering recommends Weller irons.

• Members

Yay! It's a wonderful skill--and impressive that you taught yourself.

It might be a bit complex right now, but the BYOC delay pedal has beautiful feedback that gets more and more distorted/complex as it goes. No fancy features like modern digital delays, but it might be a fun project for you.

• Members

I'd say for a first build you could go even simpler than a fuzz face and do a simple booster like a Super Hardon or LPB1.

Though, honestly, you'll take longer wiring up the box than the board for most simple circuits.

• Members

I recommend getting an iron that is at least 30 watts.

Upgrade to 45 or 60 when you get better.

And I think $20 is a cheap iron, although the POS ones that radioshack and walmart sell is like $9.

Around $70 will get you something nice that will last longer.

{censored}, I had a $300 iron that lasted me almost 30 years.

Problem with that one was, when it died on me, I couldn't find replacement parts.

• Members

I recommend getting an iron that is at least 30 watts.

Upgrade to 45 or 60 when you get better.

And I think $20 is a cheap iron, although the POS ones that radioshack and walmart sell is like $9.

Around $70 will get you something nice that will last longer.

{censored}, I had a $300 iron that lasted me almost 30 years.

Problem with that one was, when it died on me, I couldn't find replacement parts.

Yeah, that's 20 Ls though, so that's more than 20 Ss.

I agree with others on getting a weller, though. Nice stuff for not too too much.

• Members

bah I always forget the conversion rate.

Ok, so $31.

Not bad, probably works just fine.

Being that I've been at that kinda stuff so long, I'm picky :)

Old and set in my ways, blah, blah, blah.

I always get Weller's.

I've heard good things about Hakko's too.

Archived