SOT: At what point do you file a Paypal dispute?

• Members

You file a claim now, the death in a family excuse is over used, nobody should believe that stuff anymore, seriously...

You're, unfortunately, probably right--I'm a professor, and it's amazing how many folks seem to kick the bucket around midterms and finals. Uncanny, really.

• Members

lol - 'death in the family' is the paypal scammer standard code for 'I'm going to string you along for 45 days, then it's ignore-time baby'.

Yeah. It just amazes me that apparently some buyers fall for that. Or at least enough do that scammers still try it.

• Members

You can't ship a package out when someone in your family dies? Do all responsibilities cease to exist? If it were me and someone in my family died and even if I'm destroyed I would just ask a friend to ship the package for me. File a dispute now

• Members

You can't ship a package out when someone in your family dies? Do all responsibilities cease to exist? If it were me and someone in my family died and even if I'm destroyed I would just ask a friend to ship the package for me. File a dispute now

No no no, he "had to go out of town" because the funeral was obviously the day after the person died.

• Members

Just wondering what you think is reasonable. Here's my situation, which involves about $1000:

• Contact seller (not through here).

• Seller is very quick to respond to questions. We settle on a price, I send payment (Paypal)--this is just shy of two weeks ago.

• Don't hear from him for a couple of days. Drop him a line to make sure the payment went through okay.

• He says sure, will ship asap. Few more days go by.

• Tells me that there's been a death in his family and he's out of town but will try to ship when he gets back.

• I apologize and ask him to give me a call when he's able--no stress--just to touch base.

• He emails, says he'll ship the next day when he gets back, which was yesterday. No word from him.

Everytime you sell something on the internet, somewhere a family member dies.

• Members

My thoughts exactly. I opened a [edit] dispute [edit] yesterday--no response yet. And that's no surprise since he's ignored my emails for the last few days as well.

Now I'm deciding how long to give him before I escalate it to a claim. The way I see it, if he's got something legitimate going on (which I doubt), then he's got nothing the worry about with the claim--he just has to ship the item and then I'll close it out when everything is cool.

Archived