Come out with it... which of you guys was talking on that bus?

• Members

has the best news coverage in the U.S. Sorry that it doesn't match your claims.

first of all, I will agree with you on democracynow.org's record. secondly I will say that I'm assuming just because the military lets in douchebags, you're not saying that all soldiers/airmen/marines etc are douchebags?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha I bet.

In all seriousness, i do. I'm a grown man now and haven't suffered any direct bullying for 30+ years. But like many I had my fair share as a kid in the 70s.

There is a fine line between the kind of extreme bullying in that bus and the attitudes of so many parents who defend these bully behaviors. The whole "only the strong survive", "toughen up you {censored}" mentality is ubiquitous in everything in our culture, but it rarely addresses the vast difference between being strong and being an asshole.

So it's worth talking about :)

• Members

wtf do military statistics have to do with some old hag instigating a fight with a bunch of regular kids, just trying to mind their own business?

It's the typical liberal college kid blame trail: Corperations, parents, then the military. LSD.. Went right to option 3 this morning

• Members

it reminds me of every time I play call of duty. the {censored} talking in there has no consequences, so 12 year old kids will say {censored} that makes me blush... MEEE! Unfortunately for these assholes, the real world does have consequences.

• Members

first of all, I will agree with you on democracynow.org's record. secondly I will say that I'm assuming just because the military lets in douchebags, you're not saying that all soldiers/airmen/marines etc are douchebags?

Of course not. I said it's not an exclusion criteria.

• Members

In all seriousness, i do. I'm a grown man now and haven't suffered any direct bullying for 30+ years. But like many I had my fair share as a kid in the 70s.

There is a fine line between the kind of extreme bullying in that bus and the attitudes of so many parents who defend these bully behaviors. The whole "only the strong survive", "toughen up you {censored}" mentality is ubiquitous in everything in our culture, but it rarely addresses the vast difference between being strong and being an asshole.

So it's worth talking about
:)

No I get you, it was more of just a sarcastic gah wtf kinda post by me

• Members

The military is desperate for bodies, due to having f'd up some many volunteers (more soldiers have committed suicide than have been killed in combat in the middle East). Being a douche is not an exclusion criteria.

The military is not desperate for bodies. As a matter of fact there is waiting lists and higher physical and mental standards for enlistment. After serving 5 years active duty and 3 years reserve duty with a distinguished service record, no criminal record, maintained my security clearance, passed my physical readiness exam with outstanding results, AND am in a shorthanded field, I was denied re-enlistment over my left eye being slightly worse than my right eye.

But you are right, the suicide rate is rising in the military and the government isn't giving the proper mental health resources for returning troops. A co-worker just returned from his second tour in afganistan last year and was pretty much brushed off when he was trying to get psych help from the military. He now pays out of pocket to get the help he needs. I wish we would end these pointless conflicts and take care of our own for a change.

• Members

It's the typical liberal college kid blame trail: Corperations, parents, then the military. LSD.. Went right to option 3 this morning

Fox News'd. Liberals are the problem, not corporate power and excessive military spending and killing.

• Members

The military is not desperate for bodies. As a matter of fact there is waiting lists and higher physical and mental standards for enlistment. After serving 5 years active duty and 3 years reserve duty with a distinguished service record, no criminal record, maintained my security clearance, passed my physical readiness exam with outstanding results, AND am in a shorthanded field, I was denied re-enlistment over my left eye being slightly worse than my right eye.

But you are right, the suicide rate is rising in the military and the government isn't giving the proper mental health resources for returning troops. A co-worker just returned from his second tour in afganistan last year and was pretty much brushed off when he was trying to get psych help from the military. He now pays out of pocket to get the help he needs. I wish we would end these pointless conflicts and take care of our own for a change.

And why are soldiers being sent for repeated tours? Are there plenty of replacements that could be sent in instead?

I agree that we should end the longest war in US history, but there are economic forces that drive it.

• Members

And why are soldiers being sent for repeated tours? Are there plenty of replacements that could be sent in instead?

I agree that we should end the longest war in US history, but there are economic forces that drive it.

I can't speak to the logistics of sending troops on repeated tours. I know a lot of guys who volunteer to deploy again and again. The money is good, they don't care for their broken families any more, they don't care to work crappy minimum wage jobs state side while in the reserves making $300 a month. It's sad really. In some ways last month I was happy I was denied re-enlistment. I wasn't looking forward to going to afganistan in december.

• Members

dude, start a new thread for your anti-military rants. The OP has nothing to do with your cause.

• Members

wait...what? how is that "a load of money"? Am I missing something? They're trying to raise money for her to take a vacation. They've raised $500 so far. That's really not alot of money.

No its like 300,000 now...

or what pickle said.

Archived