Blues Jr or Hot Rod Deluxe???

echodeluxe

• Members

So its official, I'm downgrading (in size and weight at least!) and I would like your honest opinion!

I've decided it will be either a Fender Blues Jr or Hot Rod Deluxe. I would love a vintage Traynor like I previously had, but there's none!

I basically need an amp that's more portable than my classic 50 and I know I love the sound of both of these amps.

Your choice and why. GO!!!

• Members

Instead of a Vintage Traynor, how bout a NEW Traynor! They new ones aren't the marshall/fender copy tanks that the old ones are, but they sound hella good and are priced in the same range. A good deal all around if you can find one. I find that the YCV series is a lot 'crisper' sounding than the Fender deluxes/blues jr's and the peavey classics, and I like that. Canadian built and they come loaded with Celestions. You pretty much cannot go wrong with a Traynor no matter the era

• Members

Are we talking new or used? Probably the HRD for increased headroom, use pedals for dirt. The new III series though are supposed to be quite good, then I might take the Blues Jr. over it. Unless you need the extra power.

How about an AC15c1? Still love mine, had it quite a while now.

• Members

Well, the new Traynor amps are good, not really my thing. Same with the ac15. Incredible amp, but it does one sound really well.

I'm talkin used. I usually only buy used.

Is love to own one of those amps in that ebay auction one day, but for now I need super portable. A head and a cab would defeat the purpose.

• Members

HRD. I love mine. I've got the 'Red October' edition, with an Eminence Red Coat Wizard. It is light enough to haul in one hand and loud enough to cover a medium sized audience space without reinforcement (I just played an outside show last night with a vocals-only PA and it was more than enough on '7'... I can add a second speaker cab (8Ohms) if I need a little more volume, too (don't have one yet, but might get one...)

I like the great clean (Stay glassy, Fender) and the drive channel on the version III is usable for a nice rhythm/classic rock sound. Pedals interact quite well with both channels.

and it just looks frackin' cool...

393743_2857452404756_1145774067_n.jpg

• Members

On the new HRD's, did they take care of that squealing problem on the drive channel?

I never encountered that with the HRD I used to use (not mine) in the early 2000's... The only squealing I get out of mine is my bad notes... :)

• Members

HRD. More power, bigger box, better sound.

This is the first time I STRONGLY disagree with you... :cop:

Blues Jr sounds 10x better to my ears. I thought the HRD sounded extremely harsh and brittle. The Blues Jr seemed more pedal friendly as well, and while it doesn't have that much low end, it still had a more rounded sound to me. I'm aware the HRD and Blues Jr are supposedly very similar in circuitry, but my ears don't lie to me. :lol:

Edit: I'm talking about the older ones I guess... didn't know they had severely upgraded them. :thu:

This is the first time I STRONGLY disagree with you...
:cop:

Blues Jr sounds 10x better to my ears. I thought the HRD sounded extremely harsh and brittle. The Blues Jr seemed more pedal friendly as well, and while it doesn't have that much low end, it still had a more rounded sound to me. I'm aware the HRD and Blues Jr are supposedly very similar in circuitry, but my ears don't lie to me.
:lol:

Edit: I'm talking about the older ones I guess... didn't know they had severely upgraded them.
:thu:

With all due respect, I think we could flip that and have pretty much my take on them. :)

The Blues Jr gets all kinds of love around here, and frankly, I've never quite understood why. IMHO, it's a boxy sounding little amp, and not terribly warm or full sounding. In fact, the lack of lows make it sound much thinner than the HRD to my ears. The clean channel of the HRD is more "classic Fender" sounding to me than the Blues Jr.

About the only Blues Jr clips that I can actually say I liked were the Pro Guitar Shop Humboldt version.

I've never been unhappy to see a HRD coming through my door for me to record... I can't say the same about the Blues Jr.

YMMV.

• Members

For what it's worth, my blues junior is not a III, but has a different tube setup. 12AX7/12AT7/12AX7 preamp. It adds a lot more headroom and sweetens the overdrive.

Edit, after seeing Phil's opinion about the blues junior: mine was like that stock. Boxy and awful and whatnot. Changing the tubes and the speaker (to a greenback clone) made the amp 100 times better. It even takes pedals better now and has a round bottom end. In my mind when I bought the speaker I thought, "oh I love Marshalls and EL84s + greenback obviously equals Marshall tones". I was wrong. Instead, the amp now sounds like a nice mix of Fender cleans and Marshally grit. I have absolutely no issues with the amp other than maybe the reverb tank, which I've learned to like, even.

• Members

I have a HRD III and I love it. It is my first tube amp for playing with a drummer. When I bought it I took a couple of dirt pedals and my Billy Corgan strat in and tried several amps in the same price range and the HRD just handled everything I through at it better than the other amps there.

• Members

I have a HRD III and I love it.

just picked one up for an easy gigging rig, the blues jr breaks up a little to early to pull off the kind of volume i need in a 6 piece band, the HRD III on about 3 gives me pristine cleans at gigging volume and takes pedals extremely well. i may pick up a different speaker down the road but the celestion it came with doesn't suck.

• Members

Just buy another jr. Then swap the speaker for a cannyrex, do the twin stack mod and change out the reverb tank for that sweet Ruby unit. You know the drill. And don't sell it this time :lol:

I have always thought the jr would be a much better sounding amp if ti came with a with a 10 in the same cab.

On second thought why not save a bit longer and pick up a PRRI/DRRI or ac15c1.

Archived