Post your favorite 60s junk guitars

woolyh

• Members

Vintage cheapo guitars like Teisco, Kay, Eko, Guyatone etc.

I'll start with the Teisco Del Ray 460, which I like mainly because Iha used one in the Rocket video
:love:
shteiscodelreyet460blue.jpg

I believe it's also the "Mayonaise" guitar. The pickups were microphonic, that's what the feedback is in the song.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hah, those Wandre guitars are awesome! They used parts from Espresso machines on some guitars, IIRC. Buddy Miller has to use a fair amount of superglue each year to keep his guitars in working shape. :D

• Members

not many cheapos in this thread

those Wandre guitars go for $$$ nowadays

I have a lead on a Goya Rangemaster for 400$, still not cheap

Harmony, Teisco, Eko prices nowadays are not cheap

I did have a couple of the Arias, which were sub 100$ guitars, which is my definition of a cheapo

sometimes you just have to be lucky enough to find a great cheapo

I had an old Aria 12 string box and a Symfonie semihollow for less than 100$

both were great

Diamond_12.jpg

Symphonie.jpg

not many cheapos in this thread

those Wandre guitars go for $$$ nowadays

I have a lead on a Goya Rangemaster for 400$, still not cheap

Harmony, Teisco, Eko prices nowadays are not cheap

I did have a couple of the Arias, which were sub 100$ guitars, which is my definition of a cheapo

sometimes you just have to be lucky enough to find a great cheapo

I had an old Aria 12 string box and a Symfonie semihollow for less than 100$

both were great

I imagine you see a lot more of some of the Italian models in Europe than we see over here. Many were imported to the USA, but they're not something you come across very often these days.

A lot of these guitars DO cost significant money today, but many of them were pretty "budget friendly" back when they were new. I can remember seeing some of them in department stores when I was a kid. Even before I started playing, I had GAS for a $49 Tele copy that was hanging high on the wall at the local Gemco store. :lol:

• Members

Relevant cross post from another thread...

This is a '67 Yamaha SG7, as they were called then.

I first bought one simply because it looked so weird - in a pawn shop, maybe thirty-five years ago, for less than a hundred pounds. I didn't really know anything about guitars - I was simply smitten.

1240YamahaSG7.jpg

That first one - which was red - was stolen, and this replaced it, for about the same price. For a long time it was my only electric. It has the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned, and is very smooth to play. Perhaps a bit too smooth. I think I would have developed faster as a guitarist if it had fought back a bit more.

I saw on a Japanese site that one of these sold recently for more than three grand. Not that I have any intention of selling it ever.

• Members

I imagine you see a lot more of some of the Italian models in Europe than we see over here. Many were imported to the USA, but they're not something you come across very often these days.

A lot of these guitars DO cost significant money today, but many of them were pretty "budget friendly" back when they were new. I can remember seeing some of them in department stores when I was a kid. Even before I started playing, I had GAS for a $49 Tele copy that was hanging high on the wall at the local Gemco store.
:lol:

hmmm, not really, a lot of these 60s italian guitars are less collectible and very poor build quality

but some are great as well, Goya, Welson, Dynelectron, Davoli

a lot of these ended up as wall decoration

fetishguitars.com is doing a great job at bringing together info about the italian guitars

a lot of freaky stuff, a lot of organ/accordion makers just started making guitars to get their share of the guitar market in the sixties

I have a Dynelectorn guitarlin which is great

hmmm, pic of Davoli Bikini should go here

Archived