Subdecay Anamnesis Echo

spoonie g

• Members

sorry bro, your delay bores me, we can still be friends.

maybe if I heard it in person I'd have a different opinion but based on the video it's just not doing much for me

what's the maximum delay time? is it PT2399 based? and yes I am curious how you modulate the signal.

tap tempo would be welcome by many as well. Maybe a 1/4" jack for external TT pedal?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp View Post
sorry bro, your delay bores me, we can still be friends.

maybe if I heard it in person I'd have a different opinion but based on the video it's just not doing much for me

what's the maximum delay time? is it PT2399 based? and yes I am curious how you modulate the signal.

tap tempo would be welcome by many as well. Maybe a 1/4" jack for external TT pedal?
Okay if you really really want to know...
Sure we can be friends Robo. I Don't expect you to jump on the hype wagon for anything we do. In fact we don't even really try to hype up our pedals like some other companies do. We take them from idea to design to production and throw them out there. Some people are impressed. Some people aren't. Some people have never heard of us. If you are not interested no one is going to make you buy it.

Maximum delay time is ~600ms. The final prototype I built actually clocked out at about 620ms, but it's controlled by a voltage which is created with analog parts with tolerances that are only so fine. So the max time from unit to unit could vary a little bit, but we aren't pulling a fast one like many delay promotions did in the 80s' reporting 350ms when real delay times were more like 250ms.

It uses a PT2399 delay line just like the echobox. We actually developed two delays. The other one was DSP based using the same chip we used in the spring theory, but we didn't really find any advantages with it, and that particular chip didn't do very well when turning the time knob during oscillations. It ended up having a kind of zipper effect, which could be kind of cool, BUT not what you'd really expect out of a normal delay pedal.

Anyway, we also figured out a way to make the pt2399 voltage controlled. It's actually very simple, but not something I've seen anyone do before, and not something you will find in the datasheet. This leaves some options open for future modifications if we choose to do so (though they would likely require a larger enclosure)

The modulation is all analog and the LFO is created by a fairly standard opamp oscillator which is then filtered and sent to a summing amplifier along with the delay time voltage and then to the PT2399. There are no "controllers" (i think you are referring to microcontrollers) in this pedal. We do use them in some of our other pedals, but we generally only use them if they are necessary. The size and scope of this pedal don't really allow for it. The pedal is completely full and there's really little room for any major kind of modification.

Regardless of the echo sounds in the video, I gotta say I'm really impressed with the stuff Amir has been laying down. He's a really great musician. I've just been letting the guys do their own thing on demos lately and they've been getting a lot better at it. They don't always show off everything I'd like them too. For example, the anamnesis does a pretty good chorus sound at low delay times, but hey- you can only fit so much in a two minute demo.

As I've alluded to previously we have a DLX version planned which will be all DSP based and add a lot of extra features. Tap tempo is an obvious one, but there will be others as well. I generally like to make a distinction between the smaller pedals and the DLX pedals. From a product line point of view it doesn't really make sense to add a ton of features to the smaller ones.

Any other questions?

In case you were going to ask... I wear boxers. Briefs are for kids and guys who wear girl pants.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hotmess View Post
Out of curiosity, and forgive my ignorance, but why make it voltage controlled without any CV inputs to make the pedal talk to something? I don't see the benefit.
Externally it doesn't really matter i suppose, but it actually made the modulation portion a bit more simple.
The echobox used a pot for delay time and a transistor in parallel for modulation, but every now and then we'd have a transistor that didn't want to play nice. This eliminates that problem.
Also like i said above, it could be used for future mods. I'm not sure we plan any, but I like to keep the options open.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Brian-- will the DLX model include a tone control? Will the tap be on onboard or only a tap input jack? Any basic tone difference in the delay itself with the DSP? Also curious if the delay time will remain at. 600 ms.

Thanks in advance, love the delay tones from the demo, but am wondering if I should wait for the DLX...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thes00ze View Post
Brian-- will the DLX model include a tone control? Will the tap be on onboard or only a tap input jack? Any basic tone difference in the delay itself with the DSP? Also curious if the delay time will remain at. 600 ms.

Thanks in advance, love the delay tones from the demo, but am wondering if I should wait for the DLX...
The DLX version could be a long way out. They've just released the Starlight DLX, which I imagine was a rather large undertaking, so another one so close to it could be a bit much for the dealers and customers, and for Subdecay themselves.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thes00ze View Post

I know I've mentioned it elsewhere, but we initially were going to start working on this over the summer. We did a bit of work on it, but we ran in to some issues. The biggest issue being that the DSP we are currently using is not powerful enough to accomplish what we want to do. We've looked in to some other solutions, but they all have high upfront costs. Right now we have a bunch of projects we need to wrap up. We've already mapped out the first half of 2013 for new products, and the DLX is not on there.

I don't want to share too much about the basic idea, but we've never planned on a dedicated tone control. The DSP development system we are looking at allows for a lot more options, but I'm still not sure a tone control will be needed. There will certainly be on board tap tempo. There will be more than one tone available. Delay time should be longer, though I can't say how much longer at this point. It will be more than just the anamnesis with tap, and a few added options.

Honestly we are probably looking at summer for development again. It's the slowest time of year, so there's more time to work on complicated projects. I'd like to wrap it up in 8-12 weeks, but our track record on DLX pedals is usually much longer. They usually take 6-12 months to completely finish. We have been getting better at it though. The SDLX for example was really easy on the digital side this time. The analog side took a long time because we basically designed several different flangers and used the one we liked the best.

• Members

Really nice demo, I liked that heavy part a lot. Sort of like weird outer space surf.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp View Post
sure I do, I like the echobase modulation a great deal for a PT2399, it has a very lush and gentle warble, this one sounds very bland and sterile, more digital than what I'm used to. Are you using digital controllers of some sort to modulate?
I don't think I've ever heard anyone critique a control signal before.

690e7bd3_jackie-chan-are-you-serious.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived