You Should Get Banned For Using This Word

Player99

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously though while were on the subject of language. A few things that bug me are trendy slang, like butthurt, teh, me has new stomp, etc.

I also really dislike the tendency that people have of not including a brand name when talking about a particular pedal. To show how in your are with an insular group you just write DMM or DS-1 knowing that all the hip folks know just what you are talking about.

I also really dislike the tendency that people have of not including a brand name when talking about a particular pedal. To show how in your are with an insular group you just write DMM or DS-1 knowing that all the hip folks know just what you are talking about.

That sort of shorthand is common in all kinds of fields though. Engineers, businesspeople, musicians - any specialized field or group generally develops its own vernacular that is easily understood by members of the group, but is generally confusing and abstruse to outsiders.

The DMM (the Deluxe Memory Man from Electro-Harmonix - who BTW, abbreviate their own name and website address to EHx) and DS-1 (Boss DS-1 Distortion) are two of the most common pedals out there - it's hardly unreasonable that you would see the first name (which is rather long) abbreviated, and the other one referred to by its model number - especially on an effects forum where people will generally understand exactly what someone is referring to when they use those terms.

• Members

That sort of shorthand is common in all kinds of fields though. Engineers, businesspeople, musicians - any specialized field or group generally develops its own vernacular that is easily understood by members of the group, but is generally confusing and abstruse to outsiders.

The DMM (the Deluxe Memory Man from Electro-Harmonix - who BTW, abbreviate their own name and website address to EHx) and DS-1 (Boss DS-1 Distortion) are two of the most common pedals out there - it's hardly unreasonable that you would see the first name (which is rather long) abbreviated, and the other one referred to by its model number - especially on an effects forum where people will generally understand exactly what someone is referring to when they use those terms.

This. If you're not allowed to say "Rat" without including 'pro co', you might as well get bend over abbreviations like lol, csb, impo, etc...

Around this place, "ehx" is just as recognizable as when you'd say "civic", or "bic mac" without mensioning the brand/manufacturar.

Plus, any noob who has no clue what "ds-1" means when someone recommends him a distortion pedal, knows how to google his way to the answer within a matter of seconds. Come to think of it, recommending anyone a DS-1 should actually be the ban-able offence there:cop:;)

Also, impo something far more annoying: Making 12 threads a day, all of which are way way way OT and random/boring/troll'ish:cop:

• Members

I am finding that one's internet-life is in one's hands if you use the word "tool".

I'll get over it.

I use the computer as a tool.
I like the look of tooled leather.
I like to go tooling around the coutryside on a bike.
Never use a screwdriver when a prybar is the right tool.
My ex-brotherinlaw is a tool...engineer and he works for Stanley in the Hydraulics Division.

...this may be my last post ever...we'll see.

EDIT: my bad...appearantly it wasn't my use of the word....but it can be a hazardous one, nonetheless.

Archived