banging two out today, in my garage, and all strung up...

hangwire

• Members

...dirty dirty minds :)

b26d3a88.jpg

sage green

will have black pickguard and bigsby, pickups either 2 jazzmaster ones or TBD

and

9c17c0f2.jpg

western burnt and stained

will have jazzy vibrato, black pickguard, tele bridge and plate, and tele bridge pickup and either mustang or Teisco or ??? in neck

• Members

Tell me more

well it started its life out like this:

liquidmncar1.jpg

http://www.rondomusic.com/liquidmncar.html

and I got the body for next to nothing or in trade as with the now sage green one

then I cut down the bottom 2 horns to more of a traditional jazzmaster shape through haphazard miter sawing, dremel sanding, then hand sanding. that curve where my finger is... I am especially proud of the curve and roundness that I achieved.

• Members

dude, that seriously looks like a horror flick. awesome!

:lol:

also, the middle picture looks like it could be a flesh eating disease.

formby's is like flesh eating bacteria, but for paint on wood... its pretty nuts stuff if you ever use it...

• Members

formby's is like flesh eating bacteria, but for paint on wood... its pretty nuts stuff if you ever use it...

yeah, i probably should have gone that route when i refinished my strat knockoff orange sparkle. instead, i sanded it by hand...my lungs have never been the same.

that curve reshaping you did is really a bang up job!

• Members

yeah, i probably should have gone that route when i refinished my strat knockoff orange sparkle. instead, i sanded it by hand...my lungs have never been the same.

that curve reshaping you did is really a bang up job!

because of my health stuff I have a box of those throw away breathing mask/shield things that I use when sanding or painting anything.

• Members

2nd coat of sage green looks great. going to let it hang until tuesday morning and if it's not raining I'll start Deft'ing the clearcoat then

the stained guitar is on its 4th clear coat... just going to use up the rest of the can and that one will hang until Tuesday as well then come in

cutting pickguards is next, and a less fun step

• Members

Nice, how do you apply formby's? Can u get it at any hardware store?

its a crapshoot because you need the paint and poly remover, which seems only a few stores stock... formby's makes lots of other stuff and that stuff is much easier to find.

although I don't like it support them, Lowe's home stores have both Formby's paint and poly remover and Deft clear coat at the one by me...

to apply, you have a brush you will only use for this application, and basically smear a watery glue all over the guitar... let sit for an hour or so, return with a plastic scraper an slush off the paint... sometimes it takes multiple series as with the red guitar above, the horror pics were taken after the first formby's application, then the one on the blueish board was the application after... so it goes FAST once it goes... good stuff

• Members

I have this squier bullet strat (you may remember my thread) that I sanded down and painted (very poorly). I want to give another go but I'm not sure of the best way. It's got only 1 can of clear coat and 2 cans of paint and then there's still some very dull sunburst underneath that...

pics?

do you have a garage you can use?

• Members

looks decent... just throw a tort pickguard on there :thu:

why 2 whole cans of spray paint, though? the sunburst kept looking like it was coming through? or you want super light and far away when spraying?

formby's would strip that thing in a lazy day.

Archived