Those new Ampeg amps for guitar

zinzin

• Members

Those new amps are actually really cool. I don't know about the 5 or 50w but the 15w was awesome. A little underpowered I thought until I actually realised the mid button makes a HUGE difference.

If you ever try them, make sure to take time to understand how the EQ works. The reverb is alright, nothing fendery though.

I'd love to own one of those new 15w ones but the rest doesn't seem that great imho.

15 watts is a very popular amp "size" around here it seems. I have to admit that the GVT15 is interesting to me too... looks like it could be a cool sounding amp.

If you want to explore a pedal that really nails those Ya Ya's era Stones tones, check out the Catalinbread SFT. Killer for both bass and guitar, it really nails those Ampeg / Stones tones. :wave:

[video=youtube;oDCNIYpUtCU]

http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT

• Members

They are sweeeeet amps.

Are you interested in the head version? I'd recommend it. The thing has every speaker out combination that you could imagine. An efficient enough speaker like an Eminence Red Coat or Patriot would make the thing plenty loud enough for gigs.

• Members

Honestly, if you're after that overdrive sound, I'm sure this amp can do it, but when I played one and was set on getting it, it was because it's such a clean amp and the EQ will give you whatever clean tone you want. It sounds cool when it's overdriven, but it was the headroom that makes this amp great. Fantastic for a clean platform to use with your pedals.

That said, the EQ is hard to work with. You really gotta play around to get "that" tone. The mid knob also acts kind of like a secondary gain. You can set the mids flat and lowering the bass and treble will give you a good mid-hump in your clean tone. But if you set the bass and treble flat and increase the mids, you get a slightly more crunchy tone.

• Members

Honestly, if you're after that overdrive sound, I'm sure this amp can do it, but when I played one and was set on getting it, it was because it's such a clean amp and the EQ will give you whatever clean tone you want. It sounds cool when it's overdriven, but it was the headroom that makes this amp great. Fantastic for a clean platform to use with your pedals.

That said, the EQ is hard to work with. You really gotta play around to get "that" tone. The mid knob also acts kind of like a secondary gain. You can set the mids flat and lowering the bass and treble will give you a good mid-hump in your clean tone. But if you set the bass and treble flat and increase the mids, you get a slightly more crunchy tone.

That sounds tantalizing enough.

Being in the market for a new amp, I really would like to try one sometime soon. :love:

• Members

i am seeing the catalinbread sft in different designs:

CatalinbreadSFT_l.jpg
1325676906-57811000.jpg
sft.jpg

is there also a difference in sound?

No difference at all.

#1 is the original version

#3 is the transition one

#2 is the current offering [and my favorite looking one]

I think Catalinbread needs to make a shirt with that Catapeg logo on it!

• Members

I have the gvt15H and it's KILLER!

Super cleans, buncha headroom for 15W but it'll get loud as shit and pump out the grind and high volume. Pretty unique sound with the 6V6s paired with Ampeg's old baxandall + mid control EQ too, just tons of variety. Takes pedals like a champ (thank god!), effects loops works well if you prefer that kinda thing, and the reverb sounds badass! It's just a belton unit but it's a nice mix of giant hall and Fender spring verb, very lush. The 15W (pentode mode) and 7W (triode mode) is nice too, really cuts some volume for the late night, everyone else sleeping guitar freakouts.

Quality is very nice, Korean made I believe, 5 year warranty, and Ampeg's customer service is tops. My first unit had some bad reverb hiss which turned out to be an issue with the whole 15W line in the beginning. One phone call and Ampeg had a brand new head sent out along with packaging and shipping labels for the return, excellent all around! :thu:

Gave mine a custom 70's era makeover cuz I love that look and the gvt is 75% of the way there anyway. Currently running mine alongside a new Orange OR15 (more of a high gain monster!), each with an Emperor vert 2x12, forming an awesome baby stereo rig. Those two heads compliment one another very well.

The 5W makes a cool "at home" practice amp but it's way short on features and power for my needs. The rest of the line is kinda meh to me as the 6L6 output section sounds to modern in the high gainz. Much potential there however, interested to see where they take it....

cPgMc.jpg

• Members

I have the gvt15H and it's KILLER!

Super cleans, buncha headroom for 15W but it'll get loud as shit and pump out the grind and high volume. Pretty unique sound with the 6V6s paired with Ampeg's old baxandall + mid control EQ too, just tons of variety. Takes pedals like a champ (thank god!), effects loops works well if you prefer that kinda thing, and the reverb sounds badass! It's just a belton unit but it's a nice mix of giant hall and Fender spring verb, very lush. The 15W (pentode mode) and 7W (triode mode) is nice too, really cuts some volume for the late night, everyone else sleeping guitar freakouts.

Quality is very nice, Korean made I believe, 5 year warranty, and Ampeg's customer service is tops. My first unit had some bad reverb hiss which turned out to be an issue with the whole 15W line in the beginning. One phone call and Ampeg had a brand new head sent out along with packaging and shipping labels for the return, excellent all around!
:thu:

Gave mine a custom 70's era makeover cuz I love that look and the gvt is 75% of the way there anyway. Currently running mine alongside a new Orange OR15 (more of a high gain monster!), each with an Emperor vert 2x12, forming an awesome baby stereo rig. Those two heads compliment one another very well.

The 5W makes a cool "at home" practice amp but it's way short on features and power for my needs. The rest of the line is kinda meh to me as the 6L6 output section sounds to modern in the high gainz. Much potential there however, interested to see where they take it....

cPgMc.jpg

:love::love::love::love::love:

Archived