Is the Sennheiser MD 421-II Dynamic Better Than SM 57 For Recording Electric Guitar?

Player99

• Members

different microphones do different things better than others. as an all around mic, the sm57 is great because the results are predictable and well recognized, and its rugged as all hell. im not a stickler for mics when micing my amp for tracking. i care more about how the room sounds to be honest. ie tracked using audix i5 and OM2 mics with great success. same with sm58's, sm57's, royer's, etc. i would say that the placement of the mic in the room and the room size have almost as much to do with the sound as the amp, speaker, and mic itself.

bottom line, get what you can afford and experiment. if it sounds good, keep it.

• Members

It must be hard to go through life with the last name Rat.

Endeavor to persevere.

I've met him a couple times. Great guy. At AES in SF a couple years ago he displayed a copy of one of his report cards from high school as part of a seminar. It's not his real name.

edit: couldn't help but notice your signature. Most consumer electronics don't do board level repairs. They charge a flat fee and give you a new product or new subassemblies instead. TC's rate for out of warranty repair looks high compared to the new price, but similar polices have worked in my favor with other manufacturers like DOD. DOD also doesn't repair switches at the board level, and I bet Boss doesn't either (assuming Boss even offers out of warranty repairs).

• Members

edit: couldn't help but notice your signature. Most consumer electronics don't do board level repairs. They charge a flat fee and give you a new product or new subassemblies instead. TC's rate for out of warranty repair looks high compared to the new price, but similar polices have worked in my favor with other manufacturers like DOD. DOD also doesn't repair switches at the board level, and I bet Boss doesn't either (assuming Boss even offers out of warranty repairs).

I don't think guitar players who know what is what consider pedals as consumer electronic that are disposable. But many many pedal makers big and small do not put the switches on the boards because the switches are a wear part, that will, with use need to be replaced.

Some pedals I own that the switches can be easily replaced are Fulltone, Voodoo Lab, Boss, Analogman, Digitec, Loopmaster, even Line 6 pedals have switches that can be repaired or replaced.

If everyone lays down and accepts this bs that TC is dishing out forget about even buying pedals. I have had many pedals over the years and the only thing that ever goes wrong with them is the switch. It is like if you got a flat tire on your 14 month old car you had to junk it and buy a new car, because now flat tires are not repairable.

• Members

I have read recommendations about the 421 and I am wondering how it compares to the SM57 and if I should sweat over this or buy a 421?

I actually use both for the bulk of my guitar tracking. I also like the Heil PR-35 for guitars a lot. It sounds a lot like a ribbon mic but you can put it up close to the speaker without killing it.

• Members

How would you compare the two?

I'd say the Sennheiser is a little more focused and detailed...a little more even frequency wise than the SM-57 which is a little more midrangey. If you layer tracks it's good to have both if you can afford it. The 57 is kind of a classic sound though and with a nice preamp like my Universal Audio 2-610 you can get some great results. I usually cut all my basics with the 57 and then overdub with the MD-421, the SM-57 or PR-35 depending on the part and where I'm going to eventually put it in the mix. I also usually use some sort of ribbon mic for the room that I punch in or out during mixing as needed.

• Members

I don't think guitar players who know what is what consider pedals as consumer electronic that are disposable. But many many pedal makers big and small do not put the switches on the boards because the switches are a wear part, that will, with use need to be replaced.

Some pedals I own that the switches can be easily replaced are Fulltone, Voodoo Lab, Boss, Analogman, Digitec, Loopmaster, even Line 6 pedals have switches that can be repaired or replaced.

If everyone lays down and accepts this bs that TC is dishing out forget about even buying pedals. I have had many pedals over the years and the only thing that ever goes wrong with them is the switch. It is like if you got a flat tire on your 14 month old car you had to junk it and buy a new car, because now flat tires are not repairable.

player99.jpg

• Members

I never liked the 421 on anything. SM57, or better, the i5, are no brainers.

The Cascade Fathead seems to have a lot of fans.

When I was referring to a ribbon + SM57, I specifically had the Fathead II in mind. Gorgeous microphone.

Archived