Gibson SG Players... I Keep Breaking My High E STring Right At The Metal Bridge Piece

Player99

• Members

I have used powerful magnification and I have tried to sand it smooth with 2000 grit paper and 000 steel wool... Not as breaky but still happening.

I ordered a bridge with Graph Tech saddles and it made my sound suck (to me) plus they are wider and this made some strings unable to intonate.

Will buying new metal bridge pieces help?

Anyone else have this issue? It is just the high E string. I am using 9-42 Super Slinkys.

I cannot go to heavier strings due to my girly knuckles.

• Members

Weird. I've got the stock saddles on my SG Classic and Graphtechs on my '61 RI, and neither one has ever had that problem.

What don't you like about the sound of the Graphtech saddles? My '61 came with them, so I've never compared the differences on the same guitar.

• Members

Insert the string through the stop bar the opposite way and up and around the stop tail then over the bridge to the tuner. It will have less tension and break angle.

Thanks I have done this I think it might help. I think I will source out new saddles and contunue to wrap over the top.

• Members

I used to break strings all the time then I changed to a different brand of strings and now it rarely happens. I would also suggest a change in string guage, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

My SG is probably my most reliable guitar, but others I have had haven't been.

• Members

I used to break strings all the time then I changed to a different brand of strings and now it rarely happens. I would also suggest a change in string guage, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

My SG is probably my most reliable guitar, but others I have had haven't been.

I can't change gauge because my finger knuckles get sore. I have done the wrap the string over the top of the tail piece and I think it will do the trick.

Archived