Why do people tape over pedal logos?

Snufkino

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by houseofglass21

View Post

How insecure do you have to be to tape over logos? It just screams "I care about what people think of me". That's about as un-rock n' roll as it gets. I'd suggest putting down the Kurt Cobain handbook because we all know how the last chapter ends.

So because Cobain had a similar opinion before he died, it's {censored}in stupid cuz he dead?

lol @ einstein!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a modicum of truth to it. If one is a gospel musician, no matter how good the pedal sounds, having imagery and words that are distinctly not Christian would look poorly on the musician. The Bible writes about avoiding the appearance of evil. Many gospel musicians take that seriously. Image does count in music, many forms of music. Singing, "Out God, is an awesome God..." while wearing a T-shirt extolling Girls Gone Wild sends mixed signals. This gets gospel musicians mocked by the secular world, of course, but it is not that different from other forms of music. Can one be a goth musician, playing goth punk, while wearing bright pink, unicorns and smiling like you are happy?

• Members

I just bought a TC BG250 bass amp and i think they went a little overboard with the logo thing. its got a big TC Electronics going down one side of the whole amp and one of those big chrome stickers at the bottom of the amp on the black metal grill. The first thing i did was peel off this dang chrome sticker which is about 5" by 5". It peels off the black paint. Tic'd off!! easy fix tho. As far as taping pedals go, i like to hand paint them. and settings? nothing like a fine tip magic marker.

I have some pedals where the darn LEDS are two bright and blind you when you look down at your settings. I think a magic marker might be the cure for that one too. Just blot out the top part of the LED. haven't tryed it yet but sounds like it might do the trick or maybe use some gels to tone em down a bit. I've never had a problem knowing if a pedal is on or off. I guess LEDS are kool when your first firing up, it lets you know their all ready to go. Again the bright ones i'm not to fond of.

• Members

What's funny is those Marshall logos are pretty easy to pry off with a butterknife. Also, the brand name of the pedal posted in the third post is clearly visible in the bottom left of the pedal. I usually don't get on board with the TGP bashing, but this is just ridiculous.

• Members

I read the post. I wasn't taking a shot at you, I was taking a shot at the absurdity of the covering up logos with tape bit. I think the tape is more of an eye-sore than the logo. If it bothered me that much, I would just take off the logo, place it in the rubbermaid bin where I keep the rest of the parts I've removed and/or swapped out from other pieces of gear, put the bin back in the gear closet, and continue playing. Now your amp blends perfectly into the backline as it did before, and without the logo.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl

View Post

If I had faith that I wouldn't lose the logos, I would just remove them instead of taping over them. But it sucks when I am looking at some piece of vintage gear and some essential part of the guitar or amp is missing. I don't want to be that guy to the next person that owns any of my guitars or amps.

View Post

It would get lost, dude.

I've lost tons of gear through the years.

Clearly, you didn't.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AaronF

View Post

What's funny is those Marshall logos are pretty easy to pry off with a butterknife. Also, the brand name of the pedal posted in the third post is clearly visible in the bottom left of the pedal. I usually don't get on board with the TGP bashing, but this is just ridiculous.

Good catch (my pedal). It came taped like that, not to hide the logo, but to keep the pedal closed as the previous owner lost the screws. But I thought I could fake it for the sake of a silly thread.

• Members

View Post

And saying, "What's funny is those Marshall logos are pretty easy to pry off with a butter knife" is condescending and dismissive. So it is indeed taking a shot at my experience and intelligence, or lack thereof.

Compared to the population of HCFX, I mean.

There-is-no-need-to-be-upset-lawn-mower.

• Members

View Post

And saying, "What's funny is those Marshall logos are pretty easy to pry off with a butter knife" is condescending and dismissive. So it is indeed taking a shot at my experience and intelligence, or lack thereof.

Compared to the population of HCFX, I mean.

I realize that you said that they would get lost, but that might be a bigger insult to your intelligence than anything I've said previously in this thread.

I'm sure you are a normal, nice, intelligent guy and I really do mean that. Do what works for you, I just don't see the logic - that's all I'm saying.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by papersun

View Post

Read this little bit of facepalm.gif just now on TGP:

"Heh. I censor all my pedals The Alter Ego escaped because it doesn't have a brand name on it. Even the Ethos has tape though.

I actually do this ALL OVER MY HOUSE, so my pedals are just another thing that I tape over. I do not like corporate influence in my own home of any kind. I don't mind telling people what I have, but I don't want to be staring at the logos all the time.

Call me crazy if you want, but I might walk into your house someday and think you're trying to sell me stuff."

Premium-Grade-Electrical-Tape-Packaging-

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RadioSilence

View Post

How's it going man. have you not around here in a while or is it just because all the avatars are missing?

Trying to keep busy with stuff. Teh interwebz rots my brain. Yet here I am. icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Lanefair

View Post

About 5% of the guitarists I know can identify pedals, what the {censored} good would taping them up do?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by nomenclature

View Post

if you don't like a brand and don't want to promote them or be associated with them or others that do, why the {censored} give them money and use it?

Logic. How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesguitar65

View Post

I like how she taped over her pedals.

tumblr_m98ld3uLGG1qhql06o1_500.jpg

Needs better tape. I can still see her logo's and it offends me.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat

View Post

can someone please post the pedalboard which started this thread off? I wanna see it!

It was on TGP. First few posts mention what pedals...which weirdly, some were taped, some weren't. That's a rabbit hole I really don't want to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by rileykill

View Post

oh man. who the {censored} cares about logos?

who the {censored} cares if someone wants to tape over logos?

I care.

luke-skywalker-7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

Many gospel musicians take that seriously. Image does count in music, many forms of music. Singing, "Out God, is an awesome God..." while wearing a T-shirt extolling Girls Gone Wild sends mixed signals.

No it doesn't icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AaronF

View Post

I realize that you said that they would get lost, but that might be a bigger insult to your intelligence than anything I've said previously in this thread.

I'm sure you are a normal, nice, intelligent guy and I really do mean that. Do what works for you, I just don't see the logic - that's all I'm saying.

A slap and a kiss doesn't mean that the slap didn't happen.

Does your gear leave your house? Mine does, and stuff gets lost all the time.

Archived