Bass Boards, what are you or your bass player using??

mr benn

• Members

I'm looking to expand my bass board soon

right now it's Melxowtone fuzz >Prunes & Custard (more synthy fuzz) > catalinbread monte echo > tech 21 VT Bass (soon to be modded to add a D.I out)

but I want more modulation on there and need some inspiration!

so come on, post up a few bass boards!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i use my board for both bass and guitar, but when i play bass through it i usually stick with the Shin-Ei Companion and the Mellowtone Melx V2 Fuzz - the Melx, with the volume rolled a bit down and the tone a bit on the dark side with a P-bass, is easily the best bass tone i've ever gotten and one of my favorite tones in general, really. sounds BEASTLY.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist

View Post

i use my board for both bass and guitar, but when i play bass through it i usually stick with the Shin-Ei Companion and the Mellowtone Melx V2 Fuzz - the Melx, with the volume rolled a bit down and the tone a bit on the dark side with a P-bass, is easily the best bass tone i've ever gotten and one of my favorite tones in general, really. sounds BEASTLY.

agreed! the melx V1 is absolutely gigantic on bass! but I think I need to rewire the volume pot I added to mine or change the pot value as it's still way, way too loud!

• Members

check out the schematics for the V2, shouldn't be that much different and mine doesn't have that problem. plenty of volume, but not excessive volume.

for modulation i use my DD-5 a bit with it. simple and really useful not only to add trails and stuff, but also to thicken the sound in general, if you want it.

have you ever tried Flanger with bass? i hate it with guitar, but it sounds awesome with bass.

oh, also my Pharaoh, of course, but i prefer the Melx V2 and the Shin-ei for bass. the Shin-ei is great for synthy, deep bass tone.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist View Post
check out the schematics for the V2, shouldn't be that much different and mine doesn't have that problem. plenty of volume, but not excessive volume.

for modulation i use my DD-5 a bit with it. simple and really useful not only to add trails and stuff, but also to thicken the sound in general, if you want it.

have you ever tried Flanger with bass? i hate it with guitar, but it sounds awesome with bass.

oh, also my Pharaoh, of course, but i prefer the Melx V2 for bass.
I tried my DEM with it but I was getting a lot of noise of impedance issues? something wasn't right anyway! the tone was *almost* there though,
I do love that whole Peter Hook thing though

Some of my favorite pedals for bass, in no particular order:

MI Effects Compressor
Skreddy Pink Flesh Mk II
Catalinbread SFT
Tech 21 Bass Boost Fuzz
Malekko Omicron Fuzz
Subdecay Prometheus
Tech 21 VT Bass

Those have seen a lot of use on bass around here, but pretty much everything is fair game.

• Members

oh, i also forgot to add that i consider compressor pedals essential for bass, you should try a couple of them. they make a universe of difference.

best bass tone i've ever gotten was the Melx V2 Fuzz into an MXR Custom Comp and into a Marshall JMP 100w or a GK 1001RBII.

makes me GAS for another one facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn

View Post

pretty sweet rig! how's the SFT on bass?

Pretty good since that is what was designed for-or at least the amp it's modeled after. There is a C-bread video that shows it used on bass. I'm on my phone and too lazy to look it up but check it out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ispunk

View Post

Pretty good since that is what was designed for-or at least the amp it's modeled after. There is a C-bread video that shows it used on bass. I'm on my phone and too lazy to look it up but check it out.

will do (I ask because I have an unpopulated PCB clone for one around here somewhere, maybe I'll build it up!) thanks!

Archived