Booster without volume boost

Shawbrook

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven View Post
icon_lol.gif

No, no we don't. Go make another lap steel, pickle man.
I have four in progress Mr Simple-Is-Better, and five is my limit for juggling before it all comes crashing down....IN FLAMES OF REAL FIRE.

...btw, I'll let you pick out Brent's pickups for maximal suckiness, then I'll claim they're my suggestions and we get to convince him it's his ears that are wrong.
this could be fun...BUT DONT TELL BRENT

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gold_soundz View Post
There are some fundamental misunderstandings going on here.

If you use an overdrive pedal into a clean amp, set the volume to unity and adjust gain to taste to create overdrive, the overdrive sound is coming from the pedal. This is solid state emulation of tube overdrive. It is not overdriving the tubes in your amp.

The original poster specifically does not want this and even gave an example of doing it with a bad monkey which he does not like.
No, he gave the example of a Bad Monkey being a differencie because of the character of its gain stage. A clean boost is an entirely different thing than a Bad Monkey. It's not a hard concept whatsoever.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

View Post

No, he gave the example of a Bad Monkey being a differencie because of the character of its gain stage. A clean boost is an entirely different thing than a Bad Monkey. It's not a hard concept whatsoever.

He wants tube overdrive from his amp at a lower volume. Please could you explain to me how to use a clean boost like my zvex super duper into a clean tube amp and get the amp to overdrive without increasing the volume? I would love to know!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by gold_soundz View Post
He wants tube overdrive from his amp at a lower volume. Please could you explain to me how to use a clean boost like my zvex super duper into a clean tube amp and get the amp to overdrive without increasing the volume? I would love to know!!
Dude never said ANYTHING about tube overdrive. I would bet he probably doesn't give two {censored}s about if his overdrive sounds EXACTLY like the AC15 goosed, he's just looking for something that isn't adding as much colour as an overdrive pedal would. Which is why he's inquiring about clean boosts, pedals that are designed to give you a nice neutral boost without affecting the character of the amp.

Yeah sure, sticking a $300 attenuator between the amp and the speaker would do the trick. But I would hope for the OPs sake that he's not going to be a detail-hugging stickler enough to want to do something like that. To answer his inquiry, a two knobber clean boost would be perfect and so much {censored}ing cheaper/practical that its clearly the smartest choice.

Love these posters that come out of the woodwork with their golden ears.

• Members

Way too much over-thinking here.
By the way, the original query:

"... is there a way to boost my amp to make it break up without raising the volume (too much)?"

Why, yes, there is.
Use the channel volume (pre-amp gain) to obtain the desired amount of dirt.
Use your Master Volume knob to control the loudness.

• Members

OP

Quote Originally Posted by Shawbrook View Post
The title is probably contradictionary, but I'm a bit confused. I'm not a pedal newbie by any means but I've never been interested in booster pedals until now. I like the idea of having a pedal that provides drive by breaking up my amp (a Vox AC15C1) instead of using an OD like my Bad Monkey that changes my sound too much away from my amp's natural sound. However I play mostly in my small bedroom and I can definitely not play louder. So my question is: is there a way to boost my amp to make it break up without raising the volume (too much)? Or can most boosters be set up to provide drive without raising volume too dramatically?
For what it's worth, I've been looking into building a DOD 250 (I noticed it has a separate gain knob next to the volume knob). Is that what I want?
Tom: if he goes down this path, he may well find out that a DOD 250 doesn't give him the tonal color he's seeking. Nor may the next one he buys, nor the next. There is so much color running around in the clean boosts in their respective OD-modes (that's all they are doing, no diff than an OD once they start coloring the tone) that it may take him quite a while to find the sound he's after. BUT, that path could also EASILY cost him more than $300.

I do not claim golden ears, but I do know what I'm talking about. I had to know my audio-freq electronics well enough to get cardiac-treatment equipment thru FDA approval fer chrissakes... our amps/preamps/noise situations are an order of magnitude simpler to analyze.

The OP can do whatever he wants. There are lots of suggestions in this thread.
But cripes, yers isn't necessarily the cheapest... (maybe the loudest, but not the cheapest).
How often to we hear the term "tone-quest" around here?

biggrin.gif

...lawd, I'ma gonna get punched for posting mr smilie there...

• Members

To do this you need to set the preamp to the point where it is on the verge of breaking up on its own or is already lightly breaking up. Adjust your master volume to the desired level. Now if you add more volume via a clean boost the amp will be distorting and the pedal will not. Alternatively you could do a little bit of pedal breakup mixed with preamp breakup by using a light overdrive or dirty boost.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven View Post
btw, killer avatar. DMST ftw.
Indeed! They're actually the reason I wanted to start using more drive. I'm going to see them this month, really excited.

Quote Originally Posted by lefort_1 View Post
OP

Tom: if he goes down this path, he may well find out that a DOD 250 doesn't give him the tonal color he's seeking. Nor may the next one he buys, nor the next. There is so much color running around in the clean boosts in their respective OD-modes (that's all they are doing, no diff than an OD once they start coloring the tone) that it may take him quite a while to find the sound he's after. BUT, that path could also EASILY cost him more than $300.

I do not claim golden ears, but I do know what I'm talking about. I had to know my audio-freq electronics well enough to get cardiac-treatment equipment thru FDA approval fer chrissakes... our amps/preamps/noise situations are an order of magnitude simpler to analyze.

The OP can do whatever he wants. There are lots of suggestions in this thread.
But cripes, yers isn't necessarily the cheapest... (maybe the loudest, but not the cheapest).
How often to we hear the term "tone-quest" around here?

biggrin.gif

...lawd, I'ma gonna get punched for posting mr smilie there...
I love the heated debate that's going on here. biggrin.gif Thanks a lot guys, I'm honored. And although I like your recommendations, I have to disappoint you: I was playing just now and on a whim decided to fully dime the High knob on my Bad Monkey and put the Low on 3 o' clock, combined with low gain. And I love it. It sounds just like my amp, but with an edge - just what I wanted. And I thought the Bad Monkey could only give me mid-humpy, muddy dirt. Don't know why I never did this before. Much ado about nothing. biggrin.gif It seems my tone quest has ended without a single euro spent. I bet you guys are jealous of me. cool.gif

• Members

Pickle man! ha ha...

Technically Pickle man maybe correct. But just get a {censored}ing transparent od pedal and it will sound exactly like the OP wants. The Bad Monkey completely changes the tone. I understand the Timmy pedal does not do this. So, get a {censored}ing Timmy for $135 and set it so it does not go louder than the amp. Adjust the grit to taste.

Geesh!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shawbrook View Post
Indeed! They're actually the reason I wanted to start using more drive. I'm going to see them this month, really excited.

I love the heated debate that's going on here. biggrin.gif Thanks a lot guys, I'm honored. And although I like your recommendations, I have to disappoint you: I was playing just now and on a whim decided to fully dime the High knob on my Bad Monkey and put the Low on 3 o' clock, combined with low gain. And I love it. It sounds just like my amp, but with an edge - just what I wanted. And I thought the Bad Monkey could only give me mid-humpy, muddy dirt. Don't know why I never did this before. Much ado about nothing. biggrin.gif It seems my tone quest has ended without a single euro spent. I bet you guys are jealous of me. cool.gif
See!!! He did just what we said. No pickles.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Player99 View Post

Technically Pickle man maybe correct. But just get a {censored}ing transparent od pedal and it will sound exactly like the OP wants. The Bad Monkey completely changes the tone. I understand the Timmy pedal does not do this. So, get a {censored}ing Timmy for $135 and set it so it does not go louder than the amp. Adjust the grit to taste.

Geesh!
facepalm.gif

• Members

maca, I'm outnumbered.
I'm going to quit replying to exactly what people say, and just start shotgunning my favorite answers regardless of the subject at hand.

Therefore:

a) "Young man, you need a Harmony H-75. It'll drive that amp to sweet toansville without any pedlulz at all."

b) "Pickles"

c) profit

• Members

Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume

• Members

Not a pedal, but I've heard of people doing a number of things - lower-gain tube in the phase inverter slot (IIRC), attenuator, less efficient speaker (replacement or external cab and bypassing the internal speaker), or iso cab would all potentially lower overall volume, allowing more drive from the amp without neighbours becoming homicidal.

• Members

Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume Amp Has A Master Volume

srs. is op from mapz and just trolling us or something?? Ive never played the vox ac15c1 but it sure looks like it has a master volume.

OP why not kick the {censored} out of your vox with any kind of OD or Timmy or even clean boost like a SHO or something, and jsut turn the master down a bit???

lg-ac15c1-top.jpg

Archived