Thinking about swapping my entire rig for a POD HD500

ChuckNorris1982

• Members

dont sell everything, used gear market is too weak right now so the hit would not be worth it.

save up and just buy the hd5000 or get a gsp1101 to use in your amps power section.

The used market here is about as strong as it ever has been, IMO. Plus I bought most of the stuff used in the first place so I'll get roughly what I paid for most of it. The only thing I'll be taking a hit on is my EQD Dispatch Master, but that's the one item which is likely to sell for the highest value compared to full retail.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also check out those Yamaha amps - THR5 and THR10. They seem to get good reviews and act as both an amp and a recording interface. Priced a bit less than the Pod HD500.

I recently sold my HD500 and went back to a tube amp (Mesa TA-15) because I'm playing with a band again. The HD500 was fun and sounded pretty good, but I found myself getting lost in the options. Too many amps to to try with too many cabinets and mic combinations, too many routing options. I spent more time tweaking and exploring (not necessarily a bad thing) and not much time playing. That and I found it very challenging to get the levels right across all of the effects and amp models - I would invariably start hearing unintended distortion when I'd add one more pedal to the signal flow that would take forever to dial out. Someone wrote an entire supplemental manual dedicated to sorting out the signal to keep it from clipping in unintended spots in the signal path . . .

Bottom line - it's an incredibly powerful unit, but it takes time to really master its capabilities. If you are a tweaker and enjoy experimenting with lots of options and signal routing paths, I can't think of anything other than the Axe FX that gives you that much capability. But with that capability comes complexity . . .

I haven't completely written them off - if my current band experience continues in teh same vein, I may actually get one again, to use solely as an effects unit. I have to switch sounds quite a bit for different songs and within songs and I could see how using the HD500 just for effects could eliminate a lot of tap dancing . . . and the effects are all more than adequate for live playing - maybe not quite the match for their analog counterparts, but 99% of the way there. I've now A/Bed the Line 6 effects against 6 or 7 of the "real things" and they sound pretty much identical in a live mix (you can hear differences in a quiet studio really studying the sound).

Those Yamaha amps do look kinda fun, but they also sort of look like toys. I'm not totally sold on Yamaha gear anyway, I had an old DG1000 preamp which was horrible, and a Magicstomp which was one of the most bizarre and frustrating pieces of equipment I ever owned, albeit capable of some incredible effects if you could be bothered navigating the worst interface ever designed.

This is really good info to read about the HD500, and honestly one of the things I'm interested in it for. Just sheer flexibility. Like I said earlier, I had an M13 and loved it, but one thing I always wanted to be able to do was pan effects left and right, like run a delay on the left and a verb on the right. And with the HD500, not only does it contain all of the M series effects, but it actually offers me that capability on top of amp modelling, midi switching and USB recording. When it comes to bedroom playing, I really am happy having lots of stuff to tinker with. Live I sort of prefer simple valve amps and pedals, but that's different and I'm not playing live anymore.

I am extremely interested in the Boss GT100 as an alternative (which offers similar functionality), but the main advantage of the HD500 as far as I can tell is much more flexibility on the switching. I understand you can assign pretty much any switch to pretty much any function, and there are more switches too. So whilst the GT100 can do some of the stuff the HD500 can, it can't do it all. But that isn't a deal breaker. If the GT100 just plain sounded better, I'd be happy to go that route.

• Members

I'd get a Digitech GSP-1101 with the Control pedalboard over the Line 6 HD500.

I had the Axe Fx and I sold it. I think it's vastly overrated and overpriced. The FX were not that great, the Line 6 M series has better effects. The clean tones were too compressed. And some of the amp models weren't that great unless you wanna play Djent metal crap. Haven't tried the Axe Fx 2 and at that price I don't care to.

• Members

TBH I'd have said those little Yamaha amps were made for what you want to do - you really should investigate a bit further.

If you want to get an idea about the Tech 21 pedals but don't want to spend much to find out then have a look at these, price includes shipping: http://www.wtfaccessories.com/guitar-effects/amplifier-simulator/

• Members

I'll just add that I recently bought a G3 and absolutely LOVE it for couch practicing. You can do up to 6 effects now (after upgrading the unit), it's pretty incredible for the price.

Meh, honestly I thought it was trash when I played it. It could be that I need to spend more time with it but it really didn't make me want to give it a second chance.

• Members

But for the price of a THR5 you could keep all your effects and main amp for playing out and use the present effects for recording through the Yammie. It's a way of enabling you to retain your rig and do what you want to do.

I'm planning to order some of the Joyo pedals shortly, both for recording and possibly to use as a preamp in front of my Trademark 60. Some of the youtube clips are horrible, but there are some great ones too: I'm looking at buying the Marshall (British) American (Fender) and California (boogie) pedals. I especially want the california because that sweet singing 'so dirty it's clean' lead tone is one I've been searching for a long time.

British

American

Cali

• Members

THIS GUY, one of the best bros a bro could ask for. For realsies.

I'll have a chat with you about this in more detail, because it sounds like a {censored}ing awesome option to me. Need to talk specifics though before making any choices.

Sure man. We can hack something together in the preamp chassis I already have and then build the circuit proper in a nice chassis when we settle on something we like. Pretty much limited to a single channel but that can be tweaked to oblivion. Currently waiting on a few sheets of PTFE to use as boards to turn up then we can solder some {censored}. I guess we'll be looking at a pretty clean circuit but we can shoot options over a few beers sometime soon.

Archived