What laptop(s) would you recommend?

IRG

• Members

Ideally for $400ish or less. I need 2. One for the wife, her needs are Word documents, and the internet.

Second is for the kid (11) who's needs are basically Youtube and online gaming like Minecraft and Terraria. Also Wizards 101. I don't think they are very ram heavy, although I could be wrong.

Maybe something from Walmart, although I despise that place. Any thoughts on brands and/or specific recommendations? Is 4 mb of Ram enough for the needs mentioned above?

Thanks dudes.

• Members

^^Good choices Tom, we have a pair of ASUS laptops now, they've held up pretty well. Windows8 seems to be loading on all of the new machines now. Supposedly they have a very good built in antivirus software, I hope so because I hate having to upgrade the software every year or forgetting about it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Marshall

View Post

For windows I like ASUS for laptops. Maybe Lenovo.

Not a fan of Dell, HP, Acer or toshiba, especially for cheapies. they cut corners a lot more than ASUS does from my experience.

+1

Sound advice. My friend was Geek Squad Counter Ops (whatever) and said they'd get in more Macs, Sonys, and Toshibas than anything else.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by macadood

View Post

macbook air and macbook air.

or macbook pro and macbook air for the kid.

sell a few pedals.

No. I wouldn't have a board at all, and would still owe $ to fund these overpriced machines. They might be nice, but not needed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Marshall

View Post

For windows I like ASUS for laptops. Maybe Lenovo.

Not a fan of Dell, HP, Acer or toshiba, especially for cheapies. they cut corners a lot more than ASUS does from my experience.

THose are might top 2 choices too. But I have a current Dell right now (from work), and have been very impressed with it. Battery time is great, fast, doesn't glitch, no complaints at all.

Love how he says $400 and everyone says 'mac.' {censored}ing noobs.

You could probably pick up a couple of circa 2008-2009 used 13" Macbooks, each with 4GB of RAM, for that price (each) or less, and they'd be ideal for the projected uses, assuming the games mentioned have been ported over to the Mac. And a lot less susceptible to the sorts of computer infections kids tend to pick up online.

I'm sure there are many choices in PC laptops too, although I am not up to date on what the hot items are in that category.

FWIW, 4GB of RAM should be fine. 4 mb? Probably not... ;)

Archived