O/T craigslist rant

• Members

"I am amazed at Pittsburgh's lack of real musicians.

Looking at the past weeks offerings of both good and junk standard guitars, I am seeing reports of excellent guitars and sellu Nguyen of guitars geared to the metal crowd in droves.

A perfect example: This past week, 2 Ibanez shredder guitars sold for ALMOST new prices (I should know, I sold them), and a B.C. Rich sold for $350.00 (It costs $399.00 new) just because they are metal guitars. Now, I see a Hofner Verithin (those are among the best playing/sounding guitars in the $1,000.00 price range and the guy is below market on it). Next is a beautiful Fender American Standard Strat. The price is below what the Guitar Center sells it for used and since when don't Fender Strats sell????????? There is also a Gibson ES-335 fairly priced (but still expensive to the average buyer, but it is a guitar any real player would have in their line-up.

Now for the guys (or girls) selling the guitar above, Don't thank me for pointing out your guitars because I just wanted to show that there are guitars in Pittsburgh that are sitting because Pittsburgh's mass metal buyers are too out of synch to realize these guitars value to a real player.

I guess if you have REAL gear, or real talent, Avoid Pittsburgh as their apparent lack of knowledge also translates to their lack of a real music scene."

Better?

• Members

Someone replied . . .

"I actually partially agree with the original post. Pittsburgh has a sever lack of real musicians compared to other cities. Metal is not really a viable music, especially when you look at the MUSICIAN section and see "Screamer or dark death singers needed." lol.

There ARE great musicians in Pittsburgh, but do not fool yourselves. And I do agree that when mass amounts of metal-head gear is selling at or near retail and great guitars selling under book value is prevalent here, it DOES speak to the seriousness of the buyer as a player."

snacks.gif

• Members

he ignores the most obvious answer...

Probably a hell of a lot more folks with $300-$350 to buy an Ibby than there are with $800 to $1000 for a fender or gibson. So of course it's gonna look like the metal stuff is moving more. It's probably more economy-driven than "taste or musical abilty" driven.

Archived