stalling/prolonging your set

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

it's a good rule to always be prepared to play more music than your allotted time. I hate being in a spot where people are asking for more songs and the band is like... "that's all we got folks"

on a multi band bill an hour set seems pretty standard to me, but if you're the only entertainment for the evening. you gotta have at least 2 hours of music.

• Members

let me also say the "we're not a cover band" thing irks me a bit. of course you're not, that doesn't mean you can't step out of your comfort zone and slam out some covers for an interesting situation. learning other people's music is not only fun, it's essential to your growth as a musician.

• Members

let me also say the "we're not a cover band" thing irks me a bit. of course you're not, that doesn't mean you can't step out of your comfort zone and slam out some covers for an interesting situation. learning other people's music is not only fun, it's essential to your growth as a musician.

I can play covers solo for hours. we already do a cover in the set, and and I wouldn't be opposed to two, but after that it starts to cross the line

Scheduled an opening act, so it doesn't matter now but it was cool to get some interesting responses

Now I just need to get the rest of the band to a place where they can be more adaptive to new arrangements

• Members

IMO, covers are probably the simplest way out of a jam like this if you're a new-ish band that just doesn't have enough original material to fill the time. (if you do have old songs that used to be in the set and got dropped because you wrote better ones, dust 'em off. Unless they really suck.)

I don't think anyone has a problem with "original" bands playing covers as long as the balance stays firmly in favour of the original stuff. Covers can be fun- don't do "top 40" songs you {censored}ing hate because you think girls will dance to them, pick stuff by bands that have influenced you or that you think people will get a kick out of hearing done in your band's style. Learning to play a cover song the way the band that recorded it did can be an eye-opener in terms of arrangement ideas and how to make parts complement each other, and re-working a song in to a completely different style while retaining key parts that make it work can be a fun musical exercise.

A band I was in a few years back used to play "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel because it was our singer's favourite song when he was seven. It was good fun. The original is all synths and horrible dated 80s overproduction, so we had to do some work to come up with an arrangement that worked for two guitars, bass and drums. We did it though, and it went over well at gigs.

• Members

We time our set at practice. We've got it down to a lean 25 minutes unless we're headlining.

This too. It's well worth getting your set timings as tight as possible in rehearsals, particularly if you're nobody. You stand a better chance of keeping an audience engaged (and maybe even impressed) while you're playing if you're banging out one song after another in spite of instrument changes or tune-ups or whatever. It also means that when you have a longer slot to fill you can just take your feet off the gas just a little in terms of the transitions and stuff and presto- your 25 minute set is now 30 minutes long without you doing a thing.

• Members

We once had to play until midnight to get paid. Started at 9, had three sets, figured everything would be fine. Our last song was the Who's My Generation and halfway through the song, the drummer's dad started gesturing at a clock - it was 11:50. We just made the crazy outro go on for absolutely ages. It was a total farce, but the crowd were all pissed so they loved it.

YB, you should make an extended set intro.

• Members

Is it odd that most people on HCFX are super-anti-music piracy, but everyone is big into playing covers of other people's songs for money?

That wouldn't be odd at all. Playing cover versions is totally legit, venues are responsible for reporting songs played and pay the PRS/ whatever organisation deals with royalties. I think there's a moral distinction as well, in that performing a cover of someone's idea is different than taking for free a recording of a performance that you're being asked to pay for.

• Members

i know this is going to sound crazy but.... improvise?

Good call, but a band has to be good at it. I've been playing with the same guys on & off for 20yrs & it comes natural. We could do it for hours.

It takes some real skill -trying to improv dramatically like Zeppelin but also trying NOT to sound noodly like a deadhead jam band.

• Members

Just joined established punk covers band. Went to the last gig with old guitarist (moved up norf). They played 38 numbers in a 2 hour set!

I'm up to 23 tunes at the moment. Not a lot of stalling going on with this band!

the punk bands i know play 80+ songs if they had a two hour set :lol:

• Members

Why would you need to do this? Why would you say yes to a two hour gig if you don't have two hours worth of material?

Just joined the band, I am learning new songs building up to the 2 hours. We will only do a 2 hour set when we are ready.

Archived